• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

It's a great book and a great price I might add. Welcome to the secret club.

Could'nt resist buying the Detective #31 Vault Auctions listing.

Vault Auctions

Only spotted it 3 hours before auction ended and though I never normally buy plods it is a #31 in MP 8.0. yay.gif

Ended up highest bidder but hadn't met reserve. I do like Vault Auctions in that it prevents last minute sniping. At end of auction all those who have previously bid on an item can bid for a further 4 minutes. This 4 minute period continues to rollover till there hasn't been a bid for 4 minutes at which point the auction ends. If you win the auction but don't meet the reserve the highest bidder os offered it first at the reserve price before it ges on open offer. laugh.gif

Awesome book. The cover is way better than 8.0. It had to be interior page issues and the interior tape stains that dropped it to 8.0. Nice pickup! acclaim.gif

THANK YOU MEPHISTO. This article lays to rest the controversy over who the cover artist actually is of DETECTIVE COMICS 18 FU Manchu cover. It's CREIG FLESSEL after all, who chose not to sign the cover in reverence to O'Mealia, who's strip it was. It also lays to rest the debate over whether Flessel signed all his covers or not, as Flessel himself states emphatically that he did NOT sign many of his covers. Great article here, as there is nothing like hearing the facts from the horse's mouth.

The article states:

"Following Sullivan's pencils and inks of Chin Lung for cover 1, Creig Flessel became regular cover artist for the subsequent eighteen issues."

Does this mean that Flessel did the cover to Detective #19? The GCD is uncertain as to the artist for that cover, questioning whether it could be O'Mealia.

Hey everyone I just want to mention that I did notice one error in the article it may hav even been a typo, but it states that Boy Commandos 1st appear in 65 and it was 64. However, i think the info is still pretty cool because there are quotes from the artists themselves. The article is an excerpt from a book that shows the covers and I am not sure how much written material it contains.

Hi Rarehighgrade, just my 2 cents worth, but the Tech 19 cover does look like a dead ringer for Flessel. Look at those buildings in the background, the heavy shadowing in the artwork.

Thanks for your thoughts steelhelmet. I have always wondered about the #19 because it has a "noire" feel to it that is different from Flessel's other covers. If anyone else has any info/opinion about this, I would love to hear it.

Here is Detective #19, for those who are not familiar with it:

1294276-detective19%28mh%29%282%29.jpg

1294276-detective19(mh)(2).jpg.88b8ae5b45380105bbd0aadadf7df11a.jpg

Edited by RareHighGrade

Thanks for your thoughts steelhelmet. I have always wondered about the #19 because it has a "noire" feel to it that is different from Flessel's other covers. If anyone else has any info/opinion about this, I would love to hear it.

It's one of my favorites. smile.gif Beautiful copy.

You could do a whole set of GA safe covers like Adventure #44, Detective #83, and Action #70.

Hi Rarehighgrade, just my 2 cents worth, but the Tech 19 cover does look like a dead ringer for Flessel. Look at those buildings in the background, the heavy shadowing in the artwork.

I wasn't. But I'm warming very quickly. cloud9.gif

You could do a whole set of GA safe covers like Adventure #44, Detective #83, and Action #70.

Don't forget More Fun #59.

And Action #87 and Whiz #8.

Marvel Comics #1 sumo.gif

West

Is it me, or does the perspective of the guy below seem a little off?

Is it me, or does the perspective of the guy below seem a little off?

Well, if he stood up he would not get through the door....THUD!

West