• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Population Report Tool
3 3

222 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 2:46 PM, PaulS. said:

We are going to get it right the first time, and doing things right takes time. I apologize that there have been delays, but we are working on it. 

Paul

So is the early February deadline not the actual deadline anymore. If so what is the new deadline for the pop report to be out?

As someone with 15 years experience software development, I can tell you that taking a long time to deliver a software does not always equate to "getting it right". 
This "big bang" type of go-live deployment with the complete set of bells and whistles often turns into a disaster, because the development team is trying to build the "perfect" system, when sometimes it can be subjective.
It's better to deliver Minimum Viable Product (MVP), get the core features out of the door as soon as possible, gauge everyone's feedback and continuously improving the system. Obviously I'm not implying to cut corners, the foundation of the application has to be right. 

I can't believe that company of this magnitude still don't adapt Agile software development methodology in 2022. All we need is just an interface to tell us how many CGC 10 Charizard are existing in the population and CGC can always improve and introduce more features after the initial release.

Edited by Musemellow

Been dragging it out and yet the only reason why return business comes back. Price yes… quality yea….but faith that you would deliver. And coming up on 2 years same thing yet the opening of sports cards entered. 10 plus types more of trading cards. Then boasting a million cards graded. If a system was in place people would be getting prices for cards compared to psa bgs and the perfect pristine would be highly glorified same as a black label. And hype around cgc would multiply knowing the facts and where it stands, so more precise price points can be set in motion. Hell I’m sure there are people in the community that could whip a google sheet up that would be an acceptable beta in no time lol. Just seems far fetched that 2 years with knowing even before launch that works should have been started. With focus out into it rather than making sure you get to a million and added more into the mix making a longer progression. So Pokémon magic waiting in 2 years 3 does that mean +3 more do baseball and sports to get theirs and an additional 3 years for the 10 plus comics that have been added? As I am sure business is good and most likely increasing but I did not renew my pro membership and stoped submitting for this reason. Would think I’m not the only one as well as I do not want to keep spending money on submissions not being able to know other aspects of grading certain cards. I’m just saying seems like cgc is (A) overthinking it (B) don’t feel they should be putting resources & efforts into. (C) think it will hurt business somehow so don’t plan to. Only keep pushing “it’s in the works soon” or “it’s a top priority wink wink” top is getting more services out there to get money why make something that is free and that doesn’t directly generate revenue but kinda does and people would be much more appealing to people comparing grade company’s. Really wanna be too dog I would hit up TCG player and get in works with them the Grading company that locks TCG player and few other TCG sites will run TCG grading market I feel.

currently my point of view in groups I’m involved in or social sites see have 

#1 PSA

#2 BGS

#3 SGC

#4 CGC

#5 HGA in short period will swoop #4 spot and then #3 spot with ease 

#6 GMA 

#7 a long list of companies fighting to jump up in the ring and will move on failures of top 6 waiting for the slip 

just saying I was hooked and really wanted to submit 1000 cards and have my first five Pokémon sets all CGC base-base2

On 1/14/2022 at 2:46 AM, Pika-Drew said:

Been dragging it out and yet the only reason why return business comes back. Price yes… quality yea….but faith that you would deliver. And coming up on 2 years same thing yet the opening of sports cards entered. 10 plus types more of trading cards. Then boasting a million cards graded. If a system was in place people would be getting prices for cards compared to psa bgs and the perfect pristine would be highly glorified same as a black label. And hype around cgc would multiply knowing the facts and where it stands, so more precise price points can be set in motion. Hell I’m sure there are people in the community that could whip a google sheet up that would be an acceptable beta in no time lol. Just seems far fetched that 2 years with knowing even before launch that works should have been started. With focus out into it rather than making sure you get to a million and added more into the mix making a longer progression. So Pokémon magic waiting in 2 years 3 does that mean +3 more do baseball and sports to get theirs and an additional 3 years for the 10 plus comics that have been added? As I am sure business is good and most likely increasing but I did not renew my pro membership and stoped submitting for this reason. Would think I’m not the only one as well as I do not want to keep spending money on submissions not being able to know other aspects of grading certain cards. I’m just saying seems like cgc is (A) overthinking it (B) don’t feel they should be putting resources & efforts into. (C) think it will hurt business somehow so don’t plan to. Only keep pushing “it’s in the works soon” or “it’s a top priority wink wink” top is getting more services out there to get money why make something that is free and that doesn’t directly generate revenue but kinda does and people would be much more appealing to people comparing grade company’s. Really wanna be too dog I would hit up TCG player and get in works with them the Grading company that locks TCG player and few other TCG sites will run TCG grading market I feel.

currently my point of view in groups I’m involved in or social sites see have 

#1 PSA

#2 BGS

#3 SGC

#4 CGC

#5 HGA in short period will swoop #4 spot and then #3 spot with ease 

#6 GMA 

#7 a long list of companies fighting to jump up in the ring and will move on failures of top 6 waiting for the slip 

just saying I was hooked and really wanted to submit 1000 cards and have my first five Pokémon sets all CGC base-base2

I agree with all your points but no way is sgc over cgc. I have seen countless high grade sgc cards with terrible whitening and scratches. They just are not reliable at all compared to other grading services and you have no idea the actual condition of the card if you are buying one graded.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:22 AM, Musemellow said:

As someone with 15 years experience software development, I can tell you that taking a long time to deliver a software does not always equate to "getting it right". 
This "big bang" type of go-live deployment with the complete set of bells and whistles often turns into a disaster, because the development team is trying to build the "perfect" system, when sometimes it can be subjective.
It's better to deliver Minimum Viable Product (MVP), get the core features out of the door as soon as possible, gauge everyone's feedback and continuously improving the system. Obviously I'm not implying to cut corners, the foundation of the application has to be right. 

I can't believe that company of this magnitude still don't adapt Agile software development methodology in 2022. All we need is just an interface to tell us how many CGC 10 Charizard are existing in the population and CGC can always improve and introduce more features after the initial release.

As someone who QA's and supports the product that my developers push out, I disagree. All too often I see developers half-azz things to the point where their customer service reps have to take it in the neck for something their developers didn't have time to troubleshoot and forced out, or didn't take time to foresee and pushed out a half assed product. Given that their customer service reps are probably already getting it in the neck and have been the past 1.5 years, I'm sure they would appreciate a smoother release rather than a rocky one that you patch up. Rushed work equals shoddy work.

Edited by bulldog1986

On 12/13/2021 at 9:06 AM, PaulS. said:

The next thing on the docket is the CGC Trading Cards Pop Report, which I am told will be done by early February at the latest.

Any update on this? Is having it released by early February still the plan?

• Administrator
On 1/26/2022 at 11:06 PM, zorloth said:

Any update on this? Is having it released by early February still the plan?

Yes, February is still the goal, although perhaps more like mid to late. We had some issues with CSG data that has delayed that launch, but the CGC data set is smaller and so should be easier to deal with. I have already seen how it will look and behave, and it's pretty awesome. We are still working our hardest to get it out ASAP.

Paul

On 1/27/2022 at 8:50 AM, PaulS. said:

Yes, February is still the goal, although perhaps more like mid to late. We had some issues with CSG data that has delayed that launch, but the CGC data set is smaller and so should be easier to deal with. I have already seen how it will look and behave, and it's pretty awesome. We are still working our hardest to get it out ASAP.

Paul

Thank you for the update. I am eagerly looking forward to it, as are many others!

On 1/21/2022 at 7:04 PM, bulldog1986 said:

As someone who QA's and supports the product that my developers push out, I disagree. All too often I see developers half-azz things to the point where their customer service reps have to take it in the neck for something their developers didn't have time to troubleshoot and forced out, or didn't take time to foresee and pushed out a half assed product. Given that their customer service reps are probably already getting it in the neck and have been the past 1.5 years, I'm sure they would appreciate a smoother release rather than a rocky one that you patch up. Rushed work equals shoddy work.

Yeah no offense to the original comment, but 15+ years in any field doesn't mean anything. You could be one of the worst developers ever and you can still survive in this industry. I'm not commenting on your skills, but you get my point.

From what I've gathered, CGC's dev team (which is pretty small from what I've read here) seems to handle their development, testing, release, and maintenance of their entire infrastructure so it's understandable that it's taking longer than expected. Furthermore, releasing a population report tool with bad data isn't the same as releasing day 0 features with a few bugs. Any erroneous data may have a large effect on the graded card market with respect to CGC (and even other companies) so I think it's the right decision to get this right coming out the door.

Edited by Robert Norte

On 2/3/2022 at 1:25 AM, Robert Norte said:

Yeah no offense to the original comment, but 15+ years in any field doesn't mean anything. You could be one of the worst developers ever and you can still survive in this industry. I'm not commenting on your skills, but you get my point.

From what I've gathered, CGC's dev team (which is pretty small from what I've read here) seems to handle their development, testing, release, and maintenance of their entire infrastructure so it's understandable that it's taking longer than expected. Furthermore, releasing a population report tool with bad data isn't the same as releasing day 0 features with a few bugs. Any erroneous data may have a large effect on the graded card market with respect to CGC (and even other companies) so I think it's the right decision to get this right coming out the door.

None taken, I was explaining my background leading software development projects, before stating my opinion so that the audience understands where my opinions came from. so that people know that the opinion not coming out of a thin air. it's based on actual experiences.

So, no offense I disagree when you said it doesn't mean anything, in my view it does mean something. 

Would you listen about a home-building advice from a builder with 15 years of experience even if it doesn't guarantee that he's good at what he's doing, or someone with no experience in home-building whatsoever?  Or medical advice from a doctor, bridge-building from a civil engineer, and so on.

All I did was giving different perspective that taking 2 years to release a website does not always equate to the perfect product., 

On 1/22/2022 at 11:04 AM, bulldog1986 said:

Sounds like the issue in your situation is the bad developers, not the project management methodology itself.

Bad developers will jeopardise any software development project whether it is a "rushed" development or "taking it's time and getting it right for 2 years".

Let's say, hypothetically speaking CGC developers are bad, and CGC should take time because 'they'll need time to get it right'.

IF the developers are bad they'll mess up the Pop Report site no matter how much time they're given, So don't think it's a valid argument to make.

Apple, Microsoft, Google, Spotify, Adobe, Netflix stopped using big bang development have been using Agile project methodology for decades and it's for a good reason

These companies has a lot more at stake and image to protect than a grading company.

Anyway, Paul said Mid/Late Feb, let's hope it doesn't get delayed again.

Edited by Musemellow

• Administrator
On 2/9/2022 at 1:40 PM, JCummings10 said:

CSG released the pop report. Hopefully CGC trading cards pop report will be out very soon! 

https://www.csgcards.com/population-report/

Yes, hopefully within a month! We are just fixing some database issues to make sure everything displays properly and in order. 

Paul

On 2/10/2022 at 8:42 AM, PaulS. said:

Yes, hopefully within a month! We are just fixing some database issues to make sure everything displays properly and in order. 

Paul

Hey Paul! Is this within a month like by this time in March, or within a month like by the end of February? Thanks!

• Administrator
On 2/10/2022 at 5:42 PM, HoudiniOnTheMap said:

Hey Paul! Is this within a month like by this time in March, or within a month like by the end of February? Thanks!

Should be by the end of March. There have been unforeseen complications, as there always tend to be, unfortunately.

We are definitely in the end game though! Please make sure to check out the CSG one as it will be essentially the same. :)

Paul

On 2/11/2022 at 8:22 AM, PaulS. said:

Should be by the end of March. There have been unforeseen complications, as there always tend to be, unfortunately.

We are definitely in the end game though! Please make sure to check out the CSG one as it will be essentially the same. :)

Paul

Thanks, Paul! Have a good week!

On 2/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, PaulS. said:

Paul

I'm not holding my breath but here's hoping that's true haha