• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT (2021)
6 6

809 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 7:29 AM, Drummy said:

I haven't started this show yet, but I'm sorry to hear that RR isn't bringing it this time around (maybe due to the stories themselves).  I loved his work on Mandalorian Season 2, episode 6 ("The Tragedy"), which had all kinds of Boba Fett awesomeness.  Maybe they're setting up a lot of nonsense so that when Boba DOES bring his A game in the final three episodes, everyone will be even more stoked?  (Maybe?)

D

He directed that episode at the last minute. Unsure what kind of work was already done for him. It does seem like he doesn’t really understand the audience. Almost like he thinks he should make a slightly mature spy kids movie. Who knows. I hope he delivers on his third episode. 

With that said, I like the story and like where I think it’s going. So, I’m in regardless.  But, it would be nice for everyone else, that is not down the SW rabbit hole like I am, to get a well directed episode. 

On 1/14/2022 at 7:32 AM, Rodey said:

At least we got to see Black Krrsatan fight? Even that fight scene felt kind of lumbered.

Camera angles throughout that episode did not seem right. The worst was Black K jogging off. Almost like he was jogging to the sidelines. Very awkward. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:28 AM, Ryan. said:

You know what would be cool? If they made a show about a bounty hunter going on bounty hunting adventures.

We will probably get one of those. Likely it would focus on a group of fan favorites that aren’t Fett. They are pretty much all lowlifes and unlikely to bond with an orphan (Mando) or have the appetite to pick a fight with Crimson Dawn or the Pykes (Fett)  

Safe to say Fett is done with the gig economy. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Through three episodes something does feel off about this show.  I find the "current day" scenes lacking any motivation or stakes.  Boba is the crime lord, but what does that even entail?  Jabba's palace is now home to only 5 people?  Why does he patrol the streets of Mos Espa at all?  Hopefully this gets better.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:29 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Camera angles throughout that episode did not seem right. The worst was Black K jogging off. Almost like he was jogging to the sidelines. Very awkward. 

That was odd. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:17 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

Through three episodes something does feel off about this show.  I find the "current day" scenes lacking any motivation or stakes.  Boba is the crime lord, but what does that even entail?  Jabba's palace is now home to only 5 people?  Why does he patrol the streets of Mos Espa at all?  Hopefully this gets better.

None of it makes any sense, starting with how he went from a bounty hunter working with Darth Vader to principled antihero for no apparent reason.

On 1/14/2022 at 12:22 PM, october said:

None of it makes any sense, starting with how he went from a bounty hunter working with Darth Vader to principled antihero for no apparent reason.

I think the flashbacks are trying to explain some of that. But also, there is a Bounty Hunters Code that they tend to follow. If there is a revenge narrative that plays out, I think that’s where some of this principled antihero aspect comes into play. 

Regardless, Rodriguez has not done a good job of translating any of this into a visual medium. 

On 1/14/2022 at 12:22 PM, october said:

Well...spending time getting ready to die in a Sarlacc pit might be a reason? :) I too am not loving a lot of this show but I can definitely see this as a reason for change.

On 1/14/2022 at 12:47 PM, zuckuss2003 said:

Well...spending time getting ready to die in a Sarlacc pit might be a reason? :) I too am not loving a lot of this show but I can definitely see this as a reason for change.

That and getting taken in by the Tuskens after he proved his worth to them. But, as has been pointed out, the translation from -script to screen hasn’t been the best when certain directors are in the chair. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:28 AM, Ryan. said:

You know what would be cool? If they made a show about a bounty hunter going on bounty hunting adventures.

I am getting a Seven Samurai / Magnificent Seven Vibe. 

Its a do gooder staying home to help someone

On 1/14/2022 at 2:29 AM, Drummy said:

I haven't started this show yet, but I'm sorry to hear that RR isn't bringing it this time around (maybe due to the stories themselves).  I loved his work on Mandalorian Season 2, episode 6 ("The Tragedy"), which had all kinds of Boba Fett awesomeness.  Maybe they're setting up a lot of nonsense so that when Boba DOES bring his A game in the final three episodes, everyone will be even more stoked?  (Maybe?)

D

It can't be the writing since I believe all are written by Favreau and that includes Episode 2, which to me was great (not directed by RR). 

On 1/14/2022 at 7:47 AM, zuckuss2003 said:

Maybe the character had an epiphany. They show numerous flashbacks to when he was a kid, following his Dad around. Jango was a bounty hunter and look where that got him. Beheaded in an arena full of bugs and no one remembers or cares. Likewise, after a lifetime of being a bad bounty hunter, Boba nearly dies in ignominy in the Sarlacc. Is it too hard to believe maybe he's asking himself where his life is going? Especially after being saved by Tuskens, he might think he's getting a second lease on life. 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:47 AM, bentbryan said:

That was odd. 

I thought that was odd too. For a feared assassin, I'm pretty sure they don't just run off into the woods like a b*&ch. I would have just cut the scene and don't show him exiting. I can't even begin to tell how many odd and puzzling things are in this episode. 

Edited by Lpgk

I'm in the same boat as everyone (most) it seems.  Average overall with one very bright surprise - Black Krrsantan.

My problem with the fight scene was the young toughs.  Black K should never have been shown as weak against them - now they have work to do to make him look badass again.  I will say that the running away was well thought out (as much as we may not like it).  When you are released by your captors, you never, eeeeever walk away like Vince McMahon coming to the ring.  You run as fast as you can in a direction that puts you out of line with another distraction (i.e. the Hutt twins).  While it does look 'person_without_enough_empathyy', it's absolutely the right thing to do.

The Vespa chase was slow and boring.  I'm really not sure how the young toughs are going to fit in unless they are going to continue to act as 'spies' for Boba and Fennec.  Also, no more sauntering towards a freakin' wookie like you're not afraid.  What could they have possibly gone up against on Tatooine that would be as frightening as that?  

I feel like we're going to get better episodes.  I'm still bullish on The Book of Boba

Episode 3 was a mess, and it is really becoming obvious there isn't a good narrative thread that links the past/present sections together (I'm sure they will come together later, but they should be reinforcing one another right now and helping build up a core idea). We have zero idea what motivated Fett to take over.

I didn't mind the young gang, it actually made sense to me that they would be using bright contrasting colours in such a drab place (they were not poor, so their tech and fashion choices and crime seem more to do with boredom or simple youthful spite against society). I wish they were developed more though - how about some names and better banter between them when first introduced? All we got are they show up and immediately get recruited.

Also what a wasted opportunity for Krrsantan...really came off as weak, when this would have been an amazing time to show what a Wookie can do! Everybody remembers the original Star Wars quote about how “It's not wise to upset a Wookiee” and now we have him fighting people with CYBERNETIC PARTS which could be easily ripped off for dramatic effects (while also sticking with Disney's family friendly outlook...can't have him killing people now, can we?). Sigh.

Rancor inclusion felt like more fan service. We get it, Jabba had one...but it was special, so why not do something different with Fett? He took down that multi-armed thing in the desert in a previous episode, so why not have him remember that and hunt one down to being back alive for his own pit?

Right now the only thing stopping another group of outlaws from taking over Jabba's palace is two anorexic Gammorean guards and rejects from Disney's high school musical.  Boba came in and murdered Bib right away and since then he has been shown as a weak old man who needs a Bacta bath every half hour.  Really disappointing