• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Insomnia did not feel like a Nolan film but I still enjoyed it.  I’ve also really enjoyed more than half of Snyders output. Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen, Man of Steel and his cut of JL. The last three for me top the majority of Marvels franchise. Marvel makes solid hits for general audiences of all ages with little risk. Can’t fault them. Winter Soldier is the only one that really blew me away. I’m not a Snyder cheerleader though and I think he works best when paired with good writers. 

I agree Zack Snyder is best with solid screenwriters. But have there been any productions where Zack Snyder was credited as the only screenwriter though?

Even with Army of the Dead he built off an existing screenplay, and the same for Sucker Punch.

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Sucked" is hyperbolic, as the character development for Tony Stark in particular was quite good. It's crazy that the same guys who wrote Civil War also wrote Infinity War.

Well, with exceptions of Black Panther and Spiderman, I thought it sucked.

Edited by D84

14 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

And it's hard to overstate how much Batman Begins and The Dark Knight elevated superhero films as a genre among both critics and society at large.

What?!  No mention of Dark Knight Rises?  If you ask me that was Nolan’s Sucker Punch!

13 hours ago, Oddball said:

It sort of sucked… and I enjoyed it for the battles.

What I didn't like about Civil War was Tony’s over the top reaction to finding out the Winter Soldier killed his parents. I think Tony is smart enough to not blame Bucky at that point. Tony was just a big baby about it.

When it comes to Snyder’s take on the DCEU I look at all three movies as one big origin story… the heroes are becoming themselves. They aren’t quite there yet and we are watching them become (maybe) what we think of them as.  I think they are easily the best of the superhero genre movies.  Would love to see more of that Darkseid!!

Shoot, if you doubt that Snyder is a positive influence in the DCEU just look at what happened to WW84 when Snyder wasn’t whispering in Patty Jenkins’s ear.  That movie SUCKED!  WW had such an incredible first movie and somehow the second one is unwatchable in my opinion… a bunch of crying about wishes and dreams etc!!??  WTH!!

I’m afraid Flashpoint will be just as bad as I have read that the geniuses at WB intend to use that movie to sort of erase the ‘Snyderverse problem.’

Back to Sucker Punch… the only major problem I had with that was

Spoiler

Baby Doll getting turned into a vegetable

but if I understand correctly, Snyder had a different ending in mind.

If I have learned anything about Zack Snyder’s films it is to be patient… the genius is not always obvious, it sometimes hits you a little later and with some thought… at least a little deeper thought than just laughing at a fat Thor anyways.

1 hour ago, Iconic1s said:

What?!  No mention of Dark Knight Rises?  If you ask me that was Nolan’s Sucker Punch!

What I didn't like about Civil War was Tony’s over the top reaction to finding out the Winter Soldier killed his parents. I think Tony is smart enough to not blame Bucky at that point. Tony was just a big baby about it.

When it comes to Snyder’s take on the DCEU I look at all three movies as one big origin story… the heroes are becoming themselves. They aren’t quite there yet and we are watching them become (maybe) what we think of them as.  I think they are easily the best of the superhero genre movies.  Would love to see more of that Darkseid!!

Shoot, if you doubt that Snyder is a positive influence in the DCEU just look at what happened to WW84 when Snyder wasn’t whispering in Patty Jenkins’s ear.  That movie SUCKED!  WW had such an incredible first movie and somehow the second one is unwatchable in my opinion… a bunch of crying about wishes and dreams etc!!??  WTH!!

I’m afraid Flashpoint will be just as bad as I have read that the geniuses at WB intend to use that movie to sort of erase the ‘Snyderverse problem.’

Back to Sucker Punch… the only major problem I had with that was

Hide contents

Baby Doll getting turned into a vegetable

but if I understand correctly, Snyder had a different ending in mind.

If I have learned anything about Zack Snyder’s films it is to be patient… the genius is not always obvious, it sometimes hits you a little later and with some thought… at least a little deeper thought than just laughing at a fat Thor anyways.

I agree with this entire post except for your opinion of TDKR.

I haven't seen all of Snyder's films but I've watched his DC films multiple times now and for me they stand up better on repeat viewings because of the details in the visual storytelling that you miss the first time round. I agree with some of the other posts that having a strong writer alongside him is a positive, not all directors are suited to be the one doing all the big jobs on their own. But with the likes of JL and BVS there is a lot to go back for and enjoy (if you're a fan of the characters of course...).

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I agree with this entire post except for your opinion of TDKR.

It might just be me then but there was a lot I didn’t like about it.  First, Bruce just giving up after Rachel got blown up and just limping around Wayne Manor feeling sorry for himself. That’s not Batman to me, if anything he gets even more into his alter ego and kicks even more bad guy butt.  Second, he totally got duped by Talia.  Next, (and I like Tom Hardy) but that take on Bane from story to acting was cheeeesy.  Then, they seize the entire city so easily!  I mean, no one knows how to go against these guys except a dude dressed like a bat?!  This, in my opinion is a case where the movie was actually just way too long (and I like long movies) as I felt like I was a prisoner along with the rest of Gotham by the time it was over!  Then after all of that Bruce fakes his own death to shack up with Catwoman and leaves the cave to a guy named Robin. 

19 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

It might just be me then but there was a lot I didn’t like about it.  First, Bruce just giving up after Rachel got blown up and just limping around Wayne Manor feeling sorry for himself. That’s not Batman to me, if anything he gets even more into his alter ego and kicks even more bad guy butt.  Second, he totally got duped by Talia.  Next, (and I like Tom Hardy) but that take on Bane from story to acting was cheeeesy.  Then, they seize the entire city so easily!  I mean, no one knows how to go against these guys except a dude dressed like a bat?!  This, in my opinion is a case where the movie was actually just way too long (and I like long movies) as I felt like I was a prisoner along with the rest of Gotham by the time it was over!  Then after all of that Bruce fakes his own death to shack up with Catwoman and leaves the cave to a guy named Robin. 

He got the s^&* beat out of him by Joker. The doctor somewhat confirmed that he was in no good shape.

I liked the 'retirement' scenario. The Dark Knight Rises ain't perfect, but I still enjoy it.

Hideo Kojima, the mastermind behind the Metal Gear Solid video game franchise, recently took to Twitter to praise Zack Snyder's Justice League. A controversial figure in the eyes of some, Kojima is known for strongly voicing his opinions about films and games online. In his latest tweet, the acclaimed video game director seems to have set his sights on the DCEU.

Kojima voiced his support for the Snyder Cut in a recent tweet. He points to several revisions – such as the further development of the Flash and Cyborg as well as the 4:3 aspect ratio – as evidence of Snyder's true vision come to fruition. In a final word, Kojima says that "for [Snyder], this is justice."

hieki_ZSJL.JPG.3f35cfe015118d019a108e0b3d5fed8f.JPG

The actor that supposedly was going to be Hal Jordan in JL2.

A non-profit fan project, The Dreamscapes of Justice League: A Motion Comic, will adapt storyboards created by Snyder, Jim Lee, and Geoff Johns to create a full-motion comic film. Justice League’s Darkseid actor Ray Porter will narrator the film, will outline all of Snyder’s plans for future Justice League movies, and release later this year. The film is being made with the intent to support #RestoreTheSnyderVerse and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

Snyder’s Justice League follows its titular heroes as they attempt to prevent Steppenwolf from terraforming the Earth for Darkseid, who has desired the Ant-Life Equation for centuries. The Anti-Life Equation allows those who know it to dominate any race in existence. That said, the Knightmare future is one in which Darkseid conquers Earth, Superman succumbs to the Anti-Life Equation (following the death of a pregnant Lois Lane), and Bruce Wayne/Batman leads Flash and a weakened group of heroes.

The Motion Comic is an interesting idea but it's a shame that DC didn't decide to go with their own official comic follow up series to run with the rest of the storyline. Considering Jim Lee did the storyboards it would have been a cool collaboration to have him pencil it in full.

Never say never but the chances of an actual ZS led JL2 film happening seems to be getting further and further away.

1 hour ago, RickSp said:

Never say never but the chances of an actual ZS led JL2 film happening seems to be getting further and further away.

I'd love to see them, but I always said that I could "die happy" if the Snyder Cut ever got released. It did, so I can't complain.

Sadly, it's too much to ask for WB/DC to actually utilize the multiverse concept.