• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO's THE LAST OF US starring Pedro Pascal (2023)
4 4

274 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2023 at 11:15 AM, Zonker said:

I had a question about this-- when I left gas in my lawnmower tank over the winter, the thing wouldn't even start in the spring until I drained it and refilled with fresh gas.  Here, it looks like you just have a mpg efficiency issue with old gasoline.  Do I just have a crappy lawnmower, or were the writers taking liberties with the actual physics of 20-year-old gasoline here?

I've never had an issue with gas left in my lawnmower over the winter.  I normally stop mowing in October and the mower will get started again in March.  Any gas left in the tank has always started it up within 2 pulls.  I've also never used fuel stabilizer, but I do run premium so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Psy

I had a question about this-- when I left gas in my lawnmower tank over the winter, the thing wouldn't even start in the spring until I drained it and refilled with fresh gas.  Here, it looks like you just have a mpg efficiency issue with old gasoline.  Do I just have a crappy lawnmower, or were the writers taking liberties with the actual physics of 20-year-old gasoline here?

Also: it seemed odd that the characters saw no one on the road the entire way from Boston to KC.  But the brother made it out to Wyoming not long ago?  And the reputation of the KC Fedra was well-known to residents of the Boston QZ?  Maybe they will address this in future episodes (very occasional well-armed convoys moving back and forth, perhaps)

Yeah, I have 5 cars and 3 sit for 6 months+ each year due to our outrageously cold and snowy winters (parked outside).  My cars fire right up.  I actually like to keep them as empty as possible before parking them (against many people's conventional wisdom), that way I head right to the gas station and fill up with fresh gas and wash the older stuff out.

As well, some cars will run on any crappy gas, and some won't.  A Chevy pickup like that will run on whatever ;)

Also: it seemed odd that the characters saw no one on the road the entire way from Boston to KC.  But the brother made it out to Wyoming not long ago?  And the reputation of the KC Fedra was well-known to residents of the Boston QZ?  Maybe they will address this in future episodes (very occasional well-armed convoys moving back and forth, perhaps)

I haven't had any issues starting up my current mower after no use for the winter...of course it is an electric B|

Seriously though, when I did have a gas mower I had no issues starting it up either and I left it out in the shed all winter.

This is the second episode now where they made a concerted effort to ensure that I care more about the two side-characters who act more realistic, yet end up going nowhere and dying, than the two main characters of the whole series, who are becoming more predictable, stiff and losing whatever sense of realness they had when first introduced. Joel is becoming less and less in charge of anything including himself, a weaker and weaker anti-hero with each episode, while Ellie becomes more and more like the snarky little child-in-charge Leia from the Obi-Wan series. 

We'll see how it goes. 

Oh, and gasoline does start to "age" quickly (3-6 months) in that the most highly volatile components (the most explosive that is) will oxidize and/or evaporate over time leaving "old" gasoline slightly less volatile and combustible than fresh gas. And if it has ethanol (like most gasoline nowadays) the ethanol will oxidize quickly (3-4 months) even tightly-capped cans and tanks. It will also cause the gas to absorb water vapor from the air, and if enough water mixes into the gas it snuffs out most ICE fairly quickly. So "old" gasoline does work less efficiently and depending on the motor, may not work at all to keep the engine sparking consistently. I seriously doubt gasoline that's been sitting in a tank for 20 years would be able to run any ICE around today. 

Edited by jcjames

On 2/20/2023 at 2:17 AM, Artboy99 said:

Ep06

Enjoyed it, no spoilers!

Have to agree. It was a good step back as a reflection episode. Not everything has to be massive action scenes.

Now we got to see the scene filmed in a college setting (without going into great detail) of the two characters riding a horse.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:54 PM, jcjames said:

This is the second episode now where they made a concerted effort to ensure that I care more about the two side-characters who act more realistic, yet end up going nowhere and dying, than the two main characters of the whole series, who are becoming more predictable, stiff and losing whatever sense of realness they had when first introduced. Joel is becoming less and less in charge of anything including himself, a weaker and weaker anti-hero with each episode, while Ellie becomes more and more like the snarky little child-in-charge Leia from the Obi-Wan series. 

We'll see how it goes. 

Oh, and gasoline does start to "age" quickly (3-6 months) in that the most highly volatile components (the most explosive that is) will oxidize and/or evaporate over time leaving "old" gasoline slightly less volatile and combustible than fresh gas. And if it has ethanol (like most gasoline nowadays) the ethanol will oxidize quickly (3-4 months) even tightly-capped cans and tanks. It will also cause the gas to absorb water vapor from the air, and if enough water mixes into the gas it snuffs out most ICE fairly quickly. So "old" gasoline does work less efficiently and depending on the motor, may not work at all to keep the engine sparking consistently. I seriously doubt gasoline that's been sitting in a tank for 20 years would be able to run any ICE around today. 

Yup. And there’s zero chance 20 year old gas would work.  Not to mention the havoc the ethanol will cause inside fuel lines and carburetor of any vehicle that has been sitting even half that time.  

The show is so well-made, that as a viewer, I'm expecting the world-building to be equal to the care taken in other aspects.  I know they are working from the video game template, so their world is essentially already built for them, but nevertheless it takes me out of the story when...

Spoiler

...I start to consider how two people on foot could live off the land for a 3-month trek across the American West, with only the ammunition they could carry. 

Not to mention, are we to believe the spaces in between quarantine zones are populated by raiders, slavers & road warriors whose lives are nasty, brutish & short until inevitably becoming Infected?  If so, why haven't we seen them?  Instead, the countryside appears to have reverted to a pre-Industrial wilderness, populated by occasional cabins and enclaves of self-sufficient homesteaders.  It is quite fortunate that 20 random families who find their way to Jackson have the skill sets needed to keep a 20+ year old hydro dam operational without a working supply chain of spare parts & maintenance items!  

On 2/20/2023 at 9:29 AM, Bosco685 said:

Have to agree. It was a good step back as a reflection episode. Not everything has to be massive action scenes.

Now we got to see the scene filmed in a college setting (without going into great detail) of the two characters riding a horse.

But I do want to at least see an infected person in a show about an infection wrecking the world.  Pretty boring episode in my book and the general lack of action is making me push this show down the must watch list.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:38 AM, 1Cool said:

But I do want to at least see an infected person in a show about an infection wrecking the world.  Pretty boring episode in my book and the general lack of action is making me push this show down the must watch list.

Same boat, I am liking it, but it is on my will watch this week list, not my can't wait list.  Clearly we'll done, I think I am a little burned out on the apocalypse stories.

I think the episodes are getting better and better each week, and I'm still llooking forward to each new episode.

I have no issue with the lack of people/infected being seen.  I feel like people forget how BIG our countries are, and I totally believe people could go as long as they did without seeing anything or anyone.  Heck, we could do that now...nevermind after an apocalypse.  One thing annoying is the girl makes LOTS of noise, all the time!

I think people forget this isn't a show/game about a zombie/monster apocalypse.  That is a framework.  It isn't quite the "people are the real monsters" of Walking Dead, but this is a show about a man trying to get this girl somewhere where she could be a cure, all the while reestablishing a part of his humanity that he might've lost before. 

Some of that is going to be clearer to everyone after the series concludes.  Whatever your universe rules are, stick with them.  Gas degrades some, but not all the way in 20 years?  Okay.  Just stick with it.  Cold areas are less likely to have lots of infected?  Fine.  

On 2/22/2023 at 9:51 AM, Transplant said:

I think people forget this isn't a show/game about a zombie/monster apocalypse.  That is a framework.  It isn't quite the "people are the real monsters" of Walking Dead, but this is a show about a man trying to get this girl somewhere where she could be a cure, all the while reestablishing a part of his humanity that he might've lost before. 

it appears most people are enjoying this for the former and not the latter.

I've thought the show has been ok for the most part and thought this last episode started to hit on Joel's storyline more

part of why I think this show has been so well received is that the quality of other shows recently has been so poor