• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze X-Men!
2 2

297 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2022 at 8:24 PM, MattrixAlien said:

The Bronze age of comics is 1970 – 1985

It is not.

, so this Uncanny X-men 173 published in 1983 is on topic.

It is not.

I was thinking copper before I looked at the year.

You were absolutely correct.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

It is not.

It is not.

You were absolutely correct.

I used to have the 80s = copper age view too, but all the main platform resources that collectors refer to such as eBay, Key Collector etc.. have Bronze ending in 1983 or 1985 etc..

On 7/6/2022 at 9:41 PM, MattrixAlien said:

I used to have the 80s = copper age view too, but all the main platform resources that collectors refer to such as eBay, Key Collector etc.. have Bronze ending in 1983 or 1985 etc..

eBay, Key Collector, etc. are worthless :censored:. They define nothing but their own worthlessness.

At least the sources that say 1983 or earlier aren't proudly holding up the bloody knife they used to cut their own throat. TMNT = 1984!

On 7/6/2022 at 9:24 PM, MattrixAlien said:

The Bronze age of comics is 1970 – 1985, so this Uncanny X-men 173 published in 1983 is on topic. I was thinking copper before I looked at the year.

Picked this up while on holidays. Very cool Wolverine X-men cover. Paul Smith is a really underrated Bronze age X-men artist. I read somewhere this is the first cover to feature Wolverine in his iconic prowler pose. It's a stance Art Adams later made famous in a lot of his work and others have copied.

UXM173.jpg

This is definitely Copper.

On 7/7/2022 at 2:02 PM, Lazyboy said:

eBay, Key Collector, etc. are worthless :censored:. They define nothing but their own worthlessness.

At least the sources that say 1983 or earlier aren't proudly holding up the bloody knife they used to cut their own throat. TMNT = 1984!

Hi Lazyboy. Following the responses I received I posted another 1983 X-men I bought (UXM 166 1st Lockheed) over in the copper age thread, & I was told it should be in the Bronze forum. See the screen shots below they included showing the official definition of the CGC website puts 1983 in the Bronze age. So should I still be posting about early 80s books in the copper forum?

984529266_CGCages1.jpg.3f8515cae23d518b6c77abb90f001afa.jpg

254478151_CGCages2.jpg.e581ea0fe00c003fe2d0c43d283eb7cf.jpg

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 7/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Hi Lazyboy. Following the responses I received I posted another 1983 X-men I bought (UXM 166 1st Lockheed) over in the copper age thread, & I was told it should be in the Bronze forum. See the screen shots below they included showing the official definition of the CGC website puts 1983 in the Bronze age. So should I still be posting about early 80s books in the copper forum?

1. CGC is stupid.

2. That poster is nobody and, if they agree with that nonsense, they are... like CGC.

3. UXM 166 is, unquestionably, 100% Copper.

On 7/26/2022 at 5:43 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 7/26/2022 at 5:32 PM, MattrixAlien said:

1. CGC is stupid.

2. That poster is nobody and, if they agree with that nonsense, they are... like CGC.

3. UXM 166 is, unquestionably, 100% Copper.

It's worth noting, it has been considered copper up to this point and still should be, but with the forums now who know. @MattrixAlien at least now you have a defense if you yourself are on the fence. It's in a realm of possibilities as far as the cgc forums, but in life it would be, imo, more separated by decades, with few exceptions lol

Please yourself kind of thing, but at least know where you stand and why! Haha

:shy: 

I owe this thread an update. Will dig out my #110 next which is where my OO collection really starts. I think my first purchase was my #105 but I didn't start buying X-men regularly until #110.   

I started buying X-Men starting with Giant Size #1. Got all the way to 431 before I stopped collecting comics. Was ordering at 3 different places and I still couldn't get all the books I wanted and ordered so I stopped. Did two retail comic shops and mail order. So I was missing a few issues and also got three of the same issues. Unable to get what I would have liked, so I just decided to give up.

Well, I'll stir up some more trouble on the Bronze/Copper distinction then. 135 is obviously Bronze. I'm working on the Dark Phoenix Saga right now. 164 is on the line, though it has a flavor that I can see why some would say Copper. This one I fished out of a back issue bin myself. Really pleased on that one.

IMG_3748.JPG

FDA4EB70-74C4-4897-83A8-E46FF2FDF639.JPG

#111 Start of a awesome story line that really hooked me in. I was 12 when this came out but remember the news stand I would pick these up from.

IMG_8719.thumb.JPG.5099c483da3e32cb40b1a04a571b5546.JPG