• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,944 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2023 at 1:26 PM, johnenock said:

I don't feel like Bronze DC horror and DC Dollar books are tanking. Have several placeholder bids on Clink. I feel like a lot of the books are already over logical pricing.

From what I've seen, most DCs didn't really skyrocket the way Marvels did during the pandemic so I'd expect to see less retreat.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:05 AM, kimik said:

ASMs are down. I was getting above GPA consistently on Clink until last fall. Nothing big/key, but plenty of common run books in 7.0 - 9.4 that would top GPA in grade. There was a shift last August/September where Clink became a below GPA destination that continues.

Now, I can't really complain as the ASMs were leftovers from collections/bulk purchases from dealers that I could not move in 2018 and 2019 at way lower prices and thanks to Covid are now worth slabbing. However, is it too much to ask for full GPA? lol 

I hope that my DCs (Batmans and Tecs, plus a Supes 233) ending this week do better than the DCs you won last night............

Someone needs to sell me ASM 2 & 3 at under GPA! :shiftyeyes: 

I was watching the ASM #2 last night on CLink and it went for well over the 90 day but right at the 2022 average. No #3 listed last night.

On 1/14/2023 at 4:12 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I think it is all interconnected.  For this discussion, I'm not really looking for the drivers of value, but where the market is headed.  I don't really care which came first, all I know is the data available to me says the chicken AND the egg or both losing value.

Those books are impacted by how well off the very well off are doing, interest rates, the stock market, etc. Folks with cash who are flush with cash jack up those prices. Oddly enough, lower valued comics can sometimes be less impacted by that. 1991-1993 were great years for comics, the economy not so much, for example.

On 1/17/2023 at 10:26 AM, johnenock said:

I don't feel like Bronze DC horror and DC Dollar books are tanking. Have several placeholder bids on Clink. I feel like a lot of the books are already over logical pricing.

What is available, which isn't much, seems to have fixed high prices, and auctions exceed my expectations on the actual value.

On 1/17/2023 at 7:43 AM, MAR1979 said:
On 1/16/2023 at 11:43 PM, VintageComics said:

These are perfect examples of volatility I was talking about. 

White paged copies of ASM #129 CGC 9.8 with good centering should not fetch so much more than a poorly centered copy with inferior PQ, but it does. 

And the Hulk #1s were obviously not equal either. 

This sort of stuff happens because the markets illogically exaggerate the differences between the two books. 

Someone starts the trend that "white pages are better" and so the markets lean towards "white pages" and completely turn their backs on inferior copies. 

Whoever bought those cheaper copies got steals. 

Paying more for books with perceived greater beauty seems to align with "Buy the book not the slab label". At least to a degree.

Inferior copies should only fetch non-premium prices. Of course in a bubble that may not apply but it still ain't wise.

Paying more for greater quality is normal.

I am talking about the volatile extremes of the market which are irrational and the above example, when people are paying MUCH MORE for white pages or MUCH LESS for an inferior copy was just one facet of the market. A small difference - say 10% in price for a difference in quality I understand. A large percentage difference in price like 50% I don't understand. 

That volatility was created. It didn't used to exist in the hobby, and I believe it's a product of people chasing things and exaggerating that effect through social media. 

Production quality are just two factors, though. The volatility can also include people selling off in a hurry, people rushing to buy in a hurry, movie book speculation or whatever other things may affect it. 

But the bottom line is that it's people over reacting to things and that over reaction really is the most destructive thing to every market and not just comics. 

The markets are nothing more than a reflection of human nature and personal choices. 

Stopped into a big local shop yesterday since I was nearby and it doesn’t sound good for that guy.  He is basically running the shop by himself which has his hours down to a bare minimum.  He said things have slowed down quite a bit over the last year or so and he is kind of treading water from what I could see.  eBay still seems like a ghost town full of low ballers in terms of raw books so I just don’t see the rebound people are talking about.  

According to a contingent of folks, like cough Bob Storms cough,  nothing is more important for a slabbed book than thems White Pages. 

As for me I'll gladly take ow/w on a pre 1980 9.8, or OW on a pre 1966 9.8 or 9.6 if its 30% or more less dough than WP.  

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

According to a contingent of folks, like cough Bob Storms cough,  nothing is more important for a slabbed book than thems White Pages. 

As for me I'll gladly take ow/w on a pre 1980 9.8, or OW on a pre 1966 9.8 or 9.6 if its 30% or more less dough than WP.  

Rather than sacrifice PQ, I’m more inclined to save money by dropping a grade instead.  I think PQ is more important than a extra spine tic, and the savings are substantial.  Ow/w is just another defect in my mind. It’s the same with a miswrap.  Rather a perfectly centered 9.6 than a miswrapped 9.8

On 1/17/2023 at 12:43 AM, kimik said:

I have seen the opposite. Since November I have moved all the slabs I had listed on eBay that were sitting for several months, and some at all time GPA highs. Right now I have a timing issue with getting new submissions graded and not having enough new stock to list. 

My leftover summer/fall Clink submissions that are ending this week started off slowly tonight - the ASMs sold for below GPA there while I am getting GPA or higher on ASMs on eBay. :frustrated:

Thanks for the info. We haven't dealt with ebay in 5+ years so I'm not sure about that market. Glad to hear there is some movement. 

On 1/17/2023 at 2:29 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Rather than sacrifice PQ, I’m more inclined to save money by dropping a grade instead.  I think PQ is more important than a extra spine tic, and the savings are substantial.  Ow/w is just another defect in my mind. It’s the same with a miswrap.  Rather a perfectly centered 9.6 than a miswrapped 9.8

Only my opinion of course, but I find it funny that people are so concerned with page quality on encapsulated books.  YOU CAN'T SEE THEM.  Then again, I'm not a grade whore so... (shrug)

On 1/17/2023 at 4:59 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Only my opinion of course, but I find it funny that people are so concerned with page quality on encapsulated books.  YOU CAN'T SEE THEM.  Then again, I'm not a grade whore so... (shrug)

Lesser PQ is a sign of structural degradation (shrug)

On 1/17/2023 at 5:15 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Or bad lighting at cgc. Ive seen more than one resub, for an autograph, that has receied a bump in pq.

Anyhow it proves my earlier about the contingent statement correct - Thanks

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/17/2023 at 5:56 PM, MAR1979 said:

Or bad lighting at cgc. Ive seen more than one resub, for an autograph, that has receied a bump in pq.

Anyhow it proves my earlier about the contingent statement correct - Thanks

For the sake of the discussion, I’m entertaining the idea that CGC got the grade and PQ designation correct.  

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 1/17/2023 at 5:15 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 1/17/2023 at 4:59 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Except for the books which vary in page quality upon resubmission. 

Which in my opinion is a significant enough percentage of books that it don't think it warrants a significant premium. 

I will say that I think they're more consistent with their page quality designations now than they were in the past, but they're still still not dead accurate. 

But I'm betting most people who crack their books out may not be able to tell the difference between OWW and White pages the majority of the time :smile:

And let's face it, an OWW designation is not going to self destruct or even go Cream in any of our lifetimes as long as it's not stored in horrid conditions and frankly, probably not in several lifetimes, actually. 

It's more hype and a mindworm for the OCD crowd than anything else. 

The reason White Pages designations have become so increasingly sought after is because of "investment" and nothing more. 

They were always sought after by a smaller percentage of hobbyists but not at the level that they are now. It's become an obsession. 

Every market (not just comics) is now obsessed with ROI and minimizing risk and any aspect of the market that optimises these is over leveraged.

IMO, this is all a product of social media, over awareness of markets and an obsession with minimizing risk with little wisdom and patience tempering the markets. 

Everything is on steroids right now. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 1/17/2023 at 1:59 PM, mjoeyoung said:

you can't read them either if they're graded/ encapsulated, so by your logic the grade doesn't matter either. 

people want books with white or close to white page quality for the same reason they want an 8.0 more than a 2.5. because that's closer to what the book looked like when it was new, and the nearer one can get to that, the nicer it is to have as a collector and lover of the medium. 

Edited by alexgross.com