• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,933 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2023 at 9:55 AM, Will253 said:

In my opinion, the bronze and copper age books are undervalued. So many great books and storylines that have largely been ignored for the past thirty/fourty years or so. Most books in those categories are still extremely affordable but not as easily found as they once were. I think once the availability becomes more scarce that those books are poised to slowly gain value, just an opinion though..

Huh?

image.thumb.png.3cae0edb757da7a7d5ec5028ffed66af.png

Top books in all ages are going great.   There's no blanket market trends for any of the ages right now.

You can still buy GA Kirby in top grade for peanuts all day long (thumbsu

image.png.76e1e0d37ca640d2acc65f9c4e2904e2.png

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m saying, I’m not talking about pristine examples of any particular book. I’m saying in general, the bronze and copper age books have been undervalued in large. Many people just assume that books of those era’s are basically not worth the paper they were printed on. In general those books are becoming less prevalent in back issue boxes at shops, and a lot of those books had some of the most iconic artwork and storylines that many of us fondly remember. Many of those books are much harder to find today than say 15-20 years ago.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:31 PM, Microchip said:

I totally agree, but no one is going to take the $150,000 hit of a downgrade to a 9.8, assuming a press can remedy the issue.   Personally it would bug the hell out of me, even if the money wasn't a concern.  

Maybe a deal to press, and reslab the book under a ME submission can be struck with CGC (shrug)

Been a while since I looked at it but it didn't seem pressable.  It's just a label at this point.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:49 AM, mjoeyoung said:

One sale on CLink has stood out for me tonight.

Captain Britain #1 9.8 for $3400

GPA Highest Sale in 2022 was only $3240, with only 2 above $3K.  Last four sales were under $1700, with the most recent only $1272.

GPA only had 2 higher sales in all of 2021.  Some seller got lucky tonight.

2 more 9.8s are up for sale in this auction.

Tonight's one back down to $1700, what must the winner of the $3400 be thinking now? :violin:

I wonder how much of the pop in prices for better stuff (over $1000) was crypto winnings vs. easy money (low interest rates), a bloated stock market, money saved staying at home, and stimis. Seems like the kind of guys who would blow $5K on a comic overlap a bit with the guys playing with crypto

On 1/24/2023 at 12:19 AM, Off Panel said:

I was one of the crazies battling for that book. There are only 13 in 9.8 and most I've seen either have OW/W pages, bad centering, or both. That is without question the most gorgeous copy I've seen of ASM 106.

I think I cast the penultimate bid on the book but when the lead bidder came back AGAIN, I simply couldn't cross the psychological barrier of $10k before the Buyer's Premium. Congrats to the winner for adding a gorgeous book to his collection and for having the steely nerves to ride that rocket all the way up to $11,400!

(I didn't get the book, but on the bright side, I will probably stay married another year. xD )

This is the real answer. Low census count + near perfect wrap and centering + white pages = best possible copy.  

Only one of the issues (possibly 104 or 106) had a perfect wrap. The rest offered had a slight 1/16" to 1/8" miswrap to the front or back covers but still better than what these issues commonly have for wraps and pq in 9.8. 

Like many other ASM 9.8 collectors, Ive been tracking these books for a while and these were the best copies ive seen in over 7 years of auction searching.  I bid on most contributing to the run up in some of those prices but had to bow out once i saw that getting some of them would cost as much as a key and possibly getting locked into a bidding war (something i vowed not to do after last year.). I probably could have gone harder after one of them and won but i could see these going up to $15k+ and im not trying to overinflate the market. 

The problem with gpa, which i could have made worse, would be driving up the price unnecessarily for all 9.8 copies but thats not the true market for these. Most that care and can afford them only want the best copy and willing to pay more than $2k and apparently upwards of 9 or 11k for these. Most of us would not pay more than 1 or 2k for the copies with miswraps or ow/w pages. In fact, I've never bid on any in the past that dont have perfect wraps and pq for that very reason. Id rather own a cheap lower grade copy with a perfect wrap and white pages than pay an overinflated price for a 9.8 with a horrible wrap and ow/w pages.

So the prices for these didn't surprise me but the visibility these got from a thursday evening  heritage auction did. I had assumed some of these would fly under the radar. I nearly forgot to bid as i was in the middle of a dinner party and playing games. Perhaps they would have gone for more in a featured auction.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:55 PM, Poekaymon said:

Been a while since I looked at it but it didn't seem pressable.  It's just a label at this point.

Even if it were 100% pressable to becoming invisible to detect any defect existed there its chances of ever grading at 9.9 are slim as those are highly subjective and representative of the graders grading it then vs now. Though if cgc wanted to make a lot more money they would be giving out a couple of 9.9s every 6 months on some of these keys.  Could you imagine sending in your copy of IH181 and having the fmv charge bumped from the 9.8 to the 9.9 value?

On 1/26/2023 at 2:31 PM, Will253 said:

Many people just assume that books of those era’s are basically not worth the paper they were printed on. 

Thats applies to 99.99% of the books out there, in all ages.   Condition, and collectability drive value, not the single factor of age.  

Look at the biggest book in the Marvel universe, AF #15.   Age is not a factor driving its value,  scarcity is not a factor driving its value.   It's a first appearance of one of the top 3 characters in the comic universe.   Thats it.   

Edited by Microchip

On 1/26/2023 at 8:31 AM, Microchip said:

I totally agree, but no one is going to take the $150,000 hit of a downgrade to a 9.8, assuming a press can remedy the issue.   Personally it would bug the hell out of me, even if the money wasn't a concern.  

Maybe a deal to press, and reslab the book under a ME submission can be struck with CGC (shrug)

Does anyone have current photos of that 181 in 9.9?

On 1/27/2023 at 5:16 AM, 1Cool said:
On 1/26/2023 at 4:17 PM, Parabellum said:

Does anyone have current photos of that 181 in 9.9?

Can we please call it the book formally known as a 9.9?

Some here have said that based upon its current condition and the extent of the SCS damage, there wouldn't be a "9" on either side of the decimal point in the CGC grade.  :censored:  :cry: