• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,953 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2023 at 5:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Greatly appreciate all of the work and time it must take to compile this list for us here.  :applause:

Any idea where you got the last sale from for Famous Funnies 210 at $7,009 because I could not see it in either the HA or CC archives?  ???

Either way, that $7,009 would definitely appear to be an outlier by a long shot from what I am finding.  (shrug)

+1

On 3/21/2023 at 3:17 PM, DC# said:

Here are session 1 results from ComicLink March Focused auction.   This will be the only recap from this auction for me.   I think the auction is mislabeled - any auction that goes on for 3 weeks with hundreds of pages of listings is not very focused.   

752585294_ScreenShot2023-03-21at3_14_36PM.thumb.png.61a890b4d962ca0e60c8b948b95947a0.png

1883660618_ScreenShot2023-03-21at3_14_53PM.thumb.png.2847cad9bd1ecbcb1eaab67ca8f3d6cb.png

It should also be noted that the CGC 9.0 Fantastic Four #49 (-19%) was the Suscha News pedigree copy, which would have been expected to command a premium over non-pedigree copies...

RAD13396202333_121626.jpg

On 3/20/2023 at 3:16 PM, blazingbob said:
On 3/20/2023 at 2:02 PM, VintageComics said:

All good points.

I still lean towards the side that too much specialization and tunnel vision short sights those people. 

It's generally people with a more broad view of the world that tend to see things coming that others don't, like the 2007-08 collapse where a few truly saw it coming, and this one, which I personally believe was inevitable and just another extension of the collapse of 2007-08 which was never fundamentally address and simply had the fallout prolonged. 

I'm not sure how the "collective" you can see it coming unless you are reading the security filings of the banks and their holdings.

We might be either talking past each other or misunderstanding each other. 

I was speaking about individuals who purport to know something based on their credentials and yet are dead wrong, like the banker I spoke to a few weeks ago. 

Or the people who thought that the inflation we're now experiencing was going to be "transitory" when 2 years later, it's still here and many of us knew it would be. lol

As far as the banking industry goes, like every other it's hellish and ugly and full of espionage and cut throat tactics just like EVERY large industry. 

When you have $100 Billions at your disposal you can fabricate nearly any scenario you want. It's a scary world in that regard.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:09 PM, pickycollector said:

This seems like a significant drop in price for a mega-key issue

FF 1 CGC 7.0

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago when a 3rd of that price was considered a crazy number. 

On 3/21/2023 at 8:09 PM, pickycollector said:

This seems like a significant drop in price for a mega-key issue

FF 1 CGC 7.0

Since the boom, yes, if you consider the single sale in mid-2022 was for $81K.  But we expected stuff to drop since then.  The recent $58K sale would have been top-two for 2020, which had sales for $26K, $34K, $45K, along with $75K and $56K at year end.  Put in perspective, leave it to y'all whether decent. 

Edited by Pantodude

If this thread is open to giving market advice? I'll pose a question, not starting another thread 😂

The fact that cgc went up twice last year and once the year before?

That considered... I remember bargain based slabs being blown out for $25 before eBay taxes etc.

What is the baseline now? That er um costs went up? I sent in commons at first hint of price increase, and hoped the baseline would help;?! Made it before the next two price increases... ???

Its a general thought that may be more up @valiantman alley with statistics, and if no one instantly knows I'm ok being told to take a hike lol it was just a thought I had, knowing things like star wars dark empire #2 still sells for $20 at auction, that's some rubber meet road. :takeit:

On 3/21/2023 at 8:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

What is the baseline now? That er um costs went up? I sent in commons at first hint of price increase, and hoped the baseline would help;?! Made it before the next two price increases... ???

Its a general thought that may be more up @valiantman alley with statistics, and if no one instantly knows I'm ok being told to take a hike lol it was just a thought I had, knowing things like star wars dark empire #2 still sells for $20 at auction, that's some rubber meet road. :takeit:

The fact that I see nothing to explain this auction ($0.99 with free shipping for a CGC 7.5 Silver Surfer #2 (1968) from a 100% feedback seller rating 578) would tend to say there is no baseline.

image.thumb.png.8a78ef4314746384b443103b105e3cbb.png

On 3/21/2023 at 8:21 PM, valiantman said:

The fact that I see nothing to explain this auction ($0.99 with free shipping for a CGC 7.5 Silver Surfer #2 (1968) from a 100% feedback seller rating 578) would tend to say there is no baseline.

I know right? And then some sell higher when there are cheaper listed. I'm not sure if it's up to no good, or I'm basing the line on my own value. It's where the GPA helps with analysis, but even then I have to wonder, how close can they truly approximate? 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/21/2023 at 9:21 PM, valiantman said:

Seriously? You're posting specious listing results to support your claim. I don't know what shenanigans were going on with this seller and listing, but ebay's sold listings show the same book sold twice on the same day by the same seller for bizarre amounts. If you look at the book under his feedback thread, yet another hammer price is listed, this time for $140.

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 9.42.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 9.43.19 PM.png

On 3/21/2023 at 3:41 PM, MAR1979 said:

Was it a Saturday?

No, the one sold on January 12th of this year for $27,600 was on a Thursday for the Heritage Signature Auction.  :gossip:

What it looks like to me is that the CGC 6.0 sale at $36K is more of an outlier than anything else and most probably due to the Promise Collection drunken hangover because it seems to be out of line with the other previous sales.  If anything, probably just a price consolidation for now before making the next leap forward.  So, will need to see what future sales are like going forward, whenever that may possbily be.  hm  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/21/2023 at 8:52 PM, MR. Pontoon said:
On 3/21/2023 at 8:21 PM, valiantman said:

Expand  

Seriously? You're posting specious listing results to support your claim. I don't know what shenanigans were going on with this seller and listing, but ebay's sold listings show the same book sold twice on the same day by the same seller for bizarre amounts. If you look at the book under his feedback thread, yet another hammer price is listed, this time for $140.

No, I'm saying that there's no way to set a "baseline" for "lowest price that a slab can go" when there will always be examples on eBay of slabs selling for $1. The question was whether the increased cost of slabbing will bump the "minimum sale price" any, simply because that's what it costs to get a book slabbed. I don't think so. There are slabbed cards that are basically free once you pay shipping, I think the same is probably true of comics. Not good issues, but CGC 9.0 common moderns, yeah, probably $1.

On 3/22/2023 at 12:22 PM, valiantman said:

No, I'm saying that there's no way to set a "baseline" for "lowest price that a slab can go" when there will always be examples on eBay of slabs selling for $1. The question was whether the increased cost of slabbing will bump the "minimum sale price" any, simply because that's what it costs to get a book slabbed. I don't think so. There are slabbed cards that are basically free once you pay shipping, I think the same is probably true of comics. Not good issues, but CGC 9.0 common moderns, yeah, probably $1.

I understood And appreciate your reply... I knew it was rubber maid, or hit the road jack. It's always the thoughtful response that is appreciated 🤠 thanks for taking the time :)

I hoped to God there was a baseline, but markets are markets.

@CGC Mike

Why was my post removed?

It was an honest question asking if G.G. aka Paul is a previously banned forum member?

Is there another thread to ask that question in?

• Administrator
On 3/22/2023 at 7:36 PM, VintageComics said:

@CGC Mike

Why was my post removed?

It was an honest question asking if G.G. aka Paul is a previously banned forum member?

Is there another thread to ask that question in?

Both his and your post were removed.  (the one that prompted your question, and yours).  Neither were appropriate for this thread or this forum.  Asking this question is an attempt to stir up trouble, and it will not be permitted.  That should have been obvious, since the post was removed.  This is not up for debate, so no reply in necessary, as it will not be answered and most likely removed.  I don't want to hear anymore about this from you or anyone else.