• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,956 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2023 at 6:17 PM, DC# said:

Here are session 1 results from ComicLink March Focused auction.   This will be the only recap from this auction for me.   I think the auction is mislabeled - any auction that goes on for 3 weeks with hundreds of pages of listings is not very focused.   

752585294_ScreenShot2023-03-21at3_14_36PM.thumb.png.61a890b4d962ca0e60c8b948b95947a0.png

1883660618_ScreenShot2023-03-21at3_14_53PM.thumb.png.2847cad9bd1ecbcb1eaab67ca8f3d6cb.png

Every time I look at one of these I wish it had a vs 2018 or 2019 average instead of only a vs 2021 average.  Because I see the red but when I look at the number, everything I have on the list is still way, way up, and a whole bunch of green +100%s would put some perspective on this chart.    

On 3/23/2023 at 9:28 PM, Poekaymon said:

Every time I look at one of these I wish it had a vs 2018 or 2019 average instead of only a vs 2021 average.  Because I see the red but when I look at the number, everything I have on the list is still way, way up, and a whole bunch of green +100%s would put some perspective on this chart.    

Well, that's probably because with the time frame which this chart uses, it's really meant much more for the short term traders, as opposed to the medium term investors or longer term collectors.  

On 3/24/2023 at 7:41 AM, 1Cool said:

The 2019 to today comparison is pertinent to the longer term collectors but when the thread is titled "are prices still climbing" then saying prices are still up if you erase the last 3 years doesn't match the intent of the thread.  Prices are way, way down on a ton of books if you compare them to recent times is 100% true.

I believe he's just saying the chart would be a lot more useful if it was expanded to add in some additional columns for different time periods. hm

Like other regular investment charts, they generally show YTD, 1-year, 3-years, 5-years, 10-years.  So nothing wrong with extending the chart out (besides the ton of extra work) to cover more time periods since that would make it useful to more than just one type of buyer.  (thumbsu

On 3/24/2023 at 11:27 AM, lou_fine said:

I believe he's just saying the chart would be a lot more useful if it was expanded to add in some additional columns for different time periods. hm

Like other regular investment charts, they generally show YTD, 1-year, 3-years, 5-years, 10-years.  So nothing wrong with extending the chart out (besides the ton of extra work) to cover more time periods since that would make it useful to more than just one type of buyer.  (thumbsu

But in terms of comics it's rare for a buyer to reference last year's sales let along 4 years ago.  I think his chart is perfect when you are discussing the current market and including a couple different data points prevents it being one sided.  If I was using comics as an investment then I agree looking at a 3 - 5 year time period and throwing out outliers would make sense but when buying books it's typically the 90 day average or the last year at a maximum.

On 3/24/2023 at 9:42 AM, Poekaymon said:

Exactly--I was just musing aloud that it'd be nice if it had a single column that wasn't designed for speculators--for the rest of us.   Additionally, right now it seems geared toward a certain narrative, and someone coming in, seeing this without knowing anything more, may wrongly assume this is a long-term trend.  

LOL, it’s the default view of pricing data from GPA and not some grand conspiracy to hide the truth. lol

On 3/24/2023 at 8:59 AM, 1Cool said:

but when buying books it's typically the 90 day average or the last year at a maximum.

I would tend to agree with you if you are using it from only a short term buying point of view.  (thumbsu

Being a longer term collector myself, I simply thought the same type of format would be useful for longer term performance tracking purposes.  hm

On 3/24/2023 at 6:42 AM, Poekaymon said:

Exactly--I was just musing aloud that it'd be nice if it had a single column that wasn't designed for speculators--for the rest of us.   Additionally, right now it seems geared toward a certain narrative, and someone coming in, seeing this without knowing anything more, may wrongly assume this is a long-term trend.  

On 3/24/2023 at 12:33 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, that's probably because with the time frame which this chart uses, it's really meant much more for the short term traders, as opposed to the medium term investors or longer term collectors.  

Actually - it is because GP&A no longer has the averages for those years in their summaries.   Their current summary categories are shown below.   They had 2020 averages until January of this year when all the dates rolled over.   The older by year data is only shown as high and low with a list of all sales.    There are not enough hours in a week for me to go back and try to calc those annual averages

573232158_ScreenShot2023-03-24at8_45_40AM.thumb.png.6ed83377abec8c144fe7fd1357acc48b.png

On 3/24/2023 at 1:59 PM, DC# said:

Actually - it is because GP&A no longer has the averages for those years in their summaries.   Their current summary categories are shown below.   They had 2020 averages until January of this year when all the dates rolled over.   The older by year data is only shown as high and low with a list of all sales.    There are not enough hours in a week for me to go back and try to calc those annual averages

But, people who have done nothing to help (besides complain provide "helpful suggestions") would be kind of happy if you would go ahead and spend all your time making all the adjustments they want, provided you do give them credit for making the suggestion in the first place after you've spent all that time doing their suggestion (which was obvious to you from the beginning, but you decided not to do it because of the amount of time it would take).

You know, a really good collaboration is 50/50 credit for like 99.999999/0.000001 work.

On 3/24/2023 at 11:27 AM, lou_fine said:

Great idea Lou, we all look forward to your 1, 3, 5, and 10-year comic book investment charts. (thumbsu

On 3/24/2023 at 4:07 PM, DC# said:

In case it matters....I took no offense at any of this.    

You know....not even sure GPA would be happy to know I am summarizing their data in this simple but public way.    Does start to get a bit gray - not quite to the level of password sharing but it is a bit more robust than just a board member commenting that the 90 day average of a book is X.  

Well I had trouble at the beginning to understand, which may have been a frustration not complaint. I figured it was my problem lol

The chart is very readable of course, and especially if you're used to charts, so I knew I was inept. I still enjoy the heck out of stats, and it is very much appreciated. :cheers:

I know that I don't have the books in grade like that, a few, which is why I make this post....  :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/24/2023 at 4:07 PM, DC# said:

And ComicLink may hate it too......

Oh snap I missed this, now that's funny! Over read some posts about the tracking bids, but as I'm not a buyer in that pool, it is fun to see a concise short read of stats.

What's funny to me is it seems still more reliable than a free gocollect expertise or key collector, sometimes now even eBay as I've mentioned here or elsewhere recently. It was enough to raise my head to not be disheartened by the market somewhat regardless of results, just to see something reliable? I feel the information is kind of lost to the whirlwind otherwise, and I don't want to bury my head in the sand. Over analyzing is kind of like being over consciencous, and that spells trouble and anxiety for anyone. It's either small windows like this or a break from the hobby in general. But comic con is all I have to look forward too, other than dollar bin diving at shops. Haha so thanks again

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/24/2023 at 3:22 PM, valiantman said:

But, people who have done nothing to help (besides complain provide "helpful suggestions") would be kind of happy if you would go ahead and spend all your time making all the adjustments they want, provided you do give them credit for making the suggestion in the first place after you've spent all that time doing their suggestion (which was obvious to you from the beginning, but you decided not to do it because of the amount of time it would take).

You know, a really good collaboration is 50/50 credit for like 99.999999/0.000001 work.

Relax, valiantunhingedman.  I shared an observation and he's free to ignore it.  We're all friends here.