• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,956 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2023 at 10:22 AM, 1Cool said:

I thought March and April were some of the best months in terms of sales since tax refunds start coming in.  I guess not this year.

Remember they reworked the W-4 in 2020 so withholding would be more accurate, so refunds are not as big as they were in previous years.  Everyone was mad because they weren't loaning the government money all year. :shiftyeyes:

On 3/29/2023 at 9:39 AM, Beige said:

In addition to slow sales (probably $150 max in the last 3 days) - sellers are becoming more and more detached from reality.

I think 'overpayment syndrome' should be a recognised illness - I run ads looking for collections and all the replies this year have had ludicrous $$$ amounts attached to them.

It's getting to the stage where buyers want really good deals = 25% off and collection sellers are still seeking 2021 prices.

The gap isn't closing and when it does the market will be saturated. Great news for collectors - but not if you bought in the last 3-4 years.  

I sell on the ground floor - and even this area is getting wiped out due to lack of buyers.

There is a mighty big crash coming outside of Blue-Chip books - even those will take more of a hit. 

Sellers like me just have to ride it out, wait for it to settle and adjust my buying and selling prices accordingly.

I used to happily drop 4 figures on a book I wanted, sometimes 5, knowing they were blue chip and a safe bet. Not anymore. 

I'll be waiting for a bit to see where we settle.

The Australian market is dead.

Australia is nothing like the usa in regards to sales and what people pay for comics but a big correction is coming, you are right on that point

On 3/27/2023 at 3:43 PM, zosocane said:

Despite the broader market being flat, i continue to believe that the quality break-down the MCU has experienced with their content in Phase 4 and now 5 has hammered SA and BA Marvels.  A lot of viewers have lost interest; reports are that 'Ant-Man 3' is going to lose money.  That lost interest has driven a ton of speculators and investors away.  I don't see 'GOTG3' or 'the Marvels' doing much to recapture the lost excitement.  Looks like it's going to be up to 'Fantastic Four' to save things.

Or is it possible that buyers have caught onto the fact that if books are relying on movie hype to boost up their prices, this is almost always only a short term spike and the prices generally falls right back down after the event has taken place and the hype has moved onto the next event?  hm (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/27/2023 at 11:39 PM, Microchip said:

Are speculators the cream of the market, spurring prices upward?

On 3/28/2023 at 5:06 AM, troy.division said:

Need spec people to drive value / interest on new things.
The issue is with everyone spec'ing on everything people new to the market get burned.

If you really think about it, speculators are buyers who speculate on what other speculators are possibly speculating on.  hm

And from that point of view, these are usually the types of books that have short term spikes, but don't have the legs to stay up there or continue to move up going forward.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

I was tracking the HOM 194 on HA. Although one example and perhaps an extreme one of dropping prices, the result was expected. The copy that sold in April 2022, despite having white pages, appears to have sold at, arguably, a "Covid-19 Period" price (to, likely, state the very obvious).

Edit: I failed to note that the April 2022 sale is an Oregon Coast Collection copy. I am presently unfamiliar with that collection.

House of Mystery #194 (DC, 1971) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

Sold on Mar 28, 2023 for:

$264.00 includes Buyer's Premium (BP) 

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Horror, House of Mystery #194 (DC, 1971) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

House of Mystery #194 (DC, 1971) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....
  Lot 15404
NM+ 9.6
Auction 122216
Monday, April 18, 2022
$1,560.00

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Oregon Coast Collection; To remove links.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:15 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I was tracking the HOM 194 on HA. Although one example and perhaps an extreme one of dropping prices, the result was expected. The copy that sold in April 2022, despite having white pages, appears to have sold at, arguably, a "Covid-19 Period" price (to, likely, state the very obvious).

Edit: I failed to note that the April 2022 sale is an Oregon Coast Collection copy. I am presently unfamiliar with that collection.

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Horror, House of Mystery #194 (DC, 1971) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

Lot 15404
NM+ 9.6
Auction 122216
Monday, April 18, 2022
$1,560.00

The most recent sale was just a bit lower than prior sales.  That $1560 sale was part of a few just crazy numbers for the title that can't be taken as reproducible.  It's about 5 times the average sale for that issue.  

On 3/29/2023 at 10:45 AM, buttock said:

The most recent sale was just a bit lower than prior sales.  That $1560 sale was part of a few just crazy numbers for the title that can't be taken as reproducible.  It's about 5 times the average sale for that issue.  

Yes.

On 3/29/2023 at 2:15 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Lot 15404
NM+ 9.6
Auction 122216
Monday, April 18, 2022
$1,560.00

I love these early BA DC horrors, but $1,560 on a 9.6??  That was lunacy on any metric. 

On 3/27/2023 at 11:14 PM, WolverineX said:

Not X-people? 

Fantastic Four is in pre-production, they are in the middle of finalizing -script and casting decisions.  I suspect the -script and casting choices are being looked at more carefully than before because of the self-made destruction of the MCU post-Endgame.  X-Men is still at least another full year (if not longer) away from pre-preproduction, meaning 2 to 3 years until we see an X-men film.   Besides FF hopefully saving things, I think whatever James Gunn does over at WB/DC, if he does it right, could re-ignite interest in CBMs.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:14 AM, zosocane said:

I love these early BA DC horrors, but $1,560 on a 9.6??  That was lunacy on any metric. 

When I went to place a track on the one that sold yesterday I, of course, saw the Covid-19 Period sale since I had not placed a track on that one and hoped that the person that won it is a collector and not a flipper because unless they sold it right after the sale (I'll fantasize for a profit) that is likely a financial loss. Granted, perhaps that amount of money for that individual is a pittance. 

On 3/29/2023 at 11:18 AM, zosocane said:

Fantastic Four is in pre-production, they are in the middle of finalizing --script and casting decisions.  I suspect the --script and casting choices are being looked at more carefully than before because of the self-made destruction of the MCU post-Endgame.  X-Men is still at least another full year (if not longer) away from pre-preproduction, meaning 2 to 3 years until we see an X-men film.   Besides FF hopefully saving things, I think whatever James Gunn does over at WB/DC, if he does it right, could re-ignite interest in CBMs.

I expect GOTG 3 to be good, but it's also very much the end of the line for that part of the franchise, so it will be interesting to see how or even if Marvel can build upon it.

I am also holding out hope for the new Captain America movie.  They have an opportunity to make another thriller in the same vein as The Winter Soldier, but if they screw that movie up then I'm going to be pretty pessimistic about the future.

On 3/19/2023 at 7:00 PM, KCOComics said:
On 3/19/2023 at 6:52 PM, Microchip said:

There was the recent collection coming to market with son trying to put a documentary together around the collection going to market, he had 10 CGC 9.8 GSXM 1's in the collection.

Was that the one with the dad who's comic collecting obsession ruined the family? And there was a midgrade Superman 1 in the mix, if I'm not mistaken. 

Didn't realize he had multiples of high grade bronze. 

Much more than that as he has 5 copies of FF 1 nd 13 copies of GSXM 1 (albeit probably not all in CGC 9.8) and a handful of Ghost Rider 1 plus a few GA nuggests:  :whatthe:  :cloud9:

On 3/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, woowoo said:

Found this in the news today first time I seen it. 

On 12/13/2022 at 9:35 AM, aardvark88 said:

I did not see a topic on this.

Matt Nelson, Harley Yee, and estate family members chat about this incredibly deep estate collection full of golden age keys, multiple copies of silver age and bronze age keys, semi-keys in 2024 documentary 'Selling Superman.' CGC article link here. More info: https://www.sellingsuperman.com/

On 3/30/2023 at 11:18 AM, lou_fine said:
On 3/20/2023 at 1:00 PM, KCOComics said:
On 3/20/2023 at 12:52 PM, Microchip said:

There was the recent collection coming to market with son trying to put a documentary together around the collection going to market, he had 10 CGC 9.8 GSXM 1's in the collection.

Was that the one with the dad who's comic collecting obsession ruined the family? And there was a midgrade Superman 1 in the mix, if I'm not mistaken. 

Didn't realize he had multiples of high grade bronze. 

Much more than that as he has 5 copies of FF 1 nd 13 copies of GSXM 1 (albeit probably not all in CGC 9.8) and a handful of Ghost Rider 1 plus a few GA nuggests:  :whatthe:  :cloud9:

On 3/29/2023 at 5:07 AM, woowoo said:

Found this in the news today first time I seen it. 

On 12/14/2022 at 4:35 AM, aardvark88 said:

Matt Nelson, Harley Yee, and estate family members chat about this incredibly deep estate collection full of golden age keys, multiple copies of silver age and bronze age keys, semi-keys in 2024 documentary 'Selling Superman.' CGC article link here. More info: https://www.sellingsuperman.com/

A massive HG collection coming to a suppressed market near you soon (thumbsu

:devil:

On 3/30/2023 at 11:18 AM, lou_fine said:
aardvark88 said:

The "Fantast collection", with a special label. 

Edited by Microchip

On 3/29/2023 at 9:22 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

When I went to place a track on the one that sold yesterday I, of course, saw the Covid-19 Period sale since I had not placed a track on that one and hoped that the person that won it is a collector and not a flipper because unless they sold it right after the sale (I'll fantasize for a profit) that is likely a financial loss. Granted, perhaps that amount of money for that individual is a pittance. 

There are going to be a lot of financial losses in the near future.  

Heritage Auction today:  Amazing Fantasy #15 in 7.5 sold for $117K, last sale was $198K.