• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,953 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2023 at 4:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Or unless there’s a better place to put that money 

Exactly.  If they don't think they are going to see that $300K for too long a timeframe, better to sell and invest in something with a greater chance for gain.  That is why I think a lot of investors and speculators are going to jump ship and leave comics.

On 3/30/2023 at 7:09 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Exactly.  If they don't think they are going to see that $300K for too long a timeframe, better to sell and invest in something with a greater chance for gain.  That is why I think a lot of investors and speculators are going to jump ship and leave comics.

I’m curious how many of the big buyers in 2021 are still holding those purchases.  

On 3/30/2023 at 5:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m curious how many of the big buyers in 2021 are still holding those purchases.  

Over in the Heritage Auction thread they have been commenting about the Promise Collection books.  A lot of those sold in 2021 and a bunch of them were auctioned off today.  Most sold for considerably less than the first sale.

Here are some examples

PCH was a bright spot for the collection, both Eerie #1 and a Mask Comic #2 sold for more, or for the Mask, much more than the last sale.

Edited by mjoeyoung

On 3/30/2023 at 3:44 PM, WolverineX said:

It's not like recession lasts forever

Fair point, however, we are not yet in a recession and what may be potentially influencing price shifts is a combination of increased supply as well as higher interest rates. Those factors are more persistent than GDP fluctuations. 

On 3/30/2023 at 9:26 PM, Northwest said:

Fair point, however, we are not yet in a recession and what may be potentially influencing price shifts is a combination of increased supply as well as higher interest rates. Those factors are more persistent than GDP fluctuations. 

perhaps it will get worse, but if I had the means to buy a 300k book (obviously not something I could ever afford), there's no way I would offload it now after a few months for a 102k loss because prices might get lower.  Right now is not the time to sell.  It's time to buy. 

Edited by WolverineX

On 3/30/2023 at 10:28 PM, WolverineX said:

perhaps it will get worse, but if I had the means to buy a 300k book (obviously not something I could ever afford), there's no way I would offload it now after a few months for a 102k loss because prices might get lower.  Right now is not the time to sell.  It's time to buy. 

Unless you think it’s going even lower…

On 3/30/2023 at 4:20 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Over in the Heritage Auction thread they have been commenting about the Promise Collection books.  A lot of those sold in 2021 and a bunch of them were auctioned off today.  Most sold for considerably less than the first sale.

I believe it's pretty common knowledge that the Promise Collection was completely overhyped by the gang at Heritage and helped along by questionable grading on some of the books that nobody save for Ritter (with only two successful upgrades out of 116 Promise retreads to date so far) even dares to resubmit the Promise books for an upgrade or to play the CPR game with these books.  :gossip:

Enough of the bidders brought into the hype to the point that they completely overpaid for the books during their first run, but clearly the reputational damage and negative sentiment attached to the Promise books is quite apparent and hard to overcome, save for a few of the in-demand and still must have books.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/30/2023 at 9:26 PM, Northwest said:

In terms of comics we have been in a recession for quite some time.

On 3/31/2023 at 3:59 AM, 1Cool said:

In terms of comics we have been in a recession for quite some time.

SA to MA has been in a correction from pandemic highs yes. Price reversion to the mean (of trend) was inevitable as supply increased and demand normalized. Recession is a technical economic term for GDP contraction across multiple consecutive quarters. 

On 3/30/2023 at 7:20 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Here are some examples

PCH was a bright spot for the collection, both Eerie #1 and a Mask Comic #2 sold for more, or for the Mask, much more than the last sale.

It may turn out to mean for the buyers "I promised you nothing, absolutely nothing!"

On 3/31/2023 at 7:07 AM, Northwest said:

SA to MA has been in a correction from pandemic highs yes. Price reversion to the mean (of trend) was inevitable as supply increased and demand normalized. Recession is a technical economic term for GDP contraction across multiple consecutive quarters. 

I agree if holding the term to it's strictest sense but in general a recession is a decrease in GDP or the economy so I see the current trend of comic prices decreasing is a defacto recession of the comic market.  But if it helps make the point then calling it a correction is also accurate.

I don't think it's a valid comparison between the AF15's-- two 7.5's, sure, but one with restoration removal and a kind of a gift grade.  We'd need to see another comparable 7.5 or better yet the SAME 7.5 sell to determine if prices are stalling, falling or plummeting.   I  think during the nonsense of the Pandemic prices went wacko and we'll see an adjustment, but compare everything bought in 2020 to what is sold in 2026 and I think it will have leveled off and even seen an increase.

Prices have shot up like crazy, I bought a BATMAN #2 about seven years ago in 4.0 condition for $800 try finding that now.  If they should fall back to those levels I'd be happy because I'll buy some more.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:43 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

And looking at the book again, I think 7.5 is generous with those missing chunks 

On 4/1/2023 at 3:24 AM, 1Cool said:

Wow - so that sale was even less then was being gotten in 2019.  Thanks for the info.

A highly sceptical grading definitely hurt the book.  We need another sale for a reading on things.   

The market is definitely easing off, but this sale isn't the example to hold up.