• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,956 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2023 at 10:52 AM, DC# said:

Another story from last week's Heritage auction.   Two copies of TOS #39 in 8.0.   One copy with bright reds, double quotes, full $0.12, blue under-table, and OW/W went for $5k more than the 8.0 with more faded red, no blue, no double quotes, and CR/OW pages.   ($38.4k vs $33.6k)

The peak for this book was a single sale in 2021 of $89.5k (a 8.5 went for $99k in the same year).   2022 average was $44.6k (2 sales) - so the nicer book was down 15% from 2022 while the other down 25%.   

ScreenShot2023-04-05at7_40_20AM.png.781474acb1561c6e8554418f10873ad4.pngScreenShot2023-04-05at7_40_55AM.png.d9e346e29648aad00b118a70d6a15021.png

I'd argue that the spread should be bigger than $5K!

I don't like being negative so won't say anything about the less appealing one, but that nice 8.0 is a really, really awesome looking book!!! That seems to be a very reasonable premium for all the attributes you cited @DC#!

Wow, looks like I'm in the minority here but I much prefer the centering on the 2nd copy as the top edge of that "nicer" copy looks cut too close for comfort and the bottom edge has that black art border(?) line. Those 2 characteristics make it look off-center on it's own merit, whereas you would never know the other one was off-center as it looks whole and complete on it's own as-is.

The fading is pretty bad on the better-centered copy though which is probably worth $5K alone (although who knows how much the color on the 1st copy is over-saturated like so many Heritage books).

Edited by drbanner

On 3/31/2023 at 2:49 AM, lou_fine said:

I believe it's pretty common knowledge that the Promise Collection was completely overhyped by the gang at Heritage and helped along by questionable grading on some of the books that nobody save for Ritter (with only two successful upgrades out of 116 Promise retreads to date so far) even dares to resubmit the Promise books for an upgrade or to play the CPR game with these books.  :gossip:

Enough of the bidders brought into the hype to the point that they completely overpaid for the books during their first run, but clearly the reputational damage and negative sentiment attached to the Promise books is quite apparent and hard to overcome, save for a few of the in-demand and still must have books.  :(

A lot of people were huffing the comic highs at the time...reality has come back a bit and now they are taking the L.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:59 AM, october said:

The gap should be bigger.

Absolutely... in addition to the wrap and colour issues already raised, the second copy has lower page quality, and a stamp on the cover.

On 4/5/2023 at 1:08 PM, comicginger1789 said:

A lot of people were huffing the comic highs at the time...reality has come back a bit and now they are taking the L.

I have not visited the WWC site, if its the Ritter I'm thinking about, in a long while due to too much $$$ and was unaware about its CPR "game."

Edit: I just visited WWC. Four pages of the Promise (You Nothing) Collection. Yowza!

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
WWC visited.

On 4/5/2023 at 1:24 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

How’s the grading of the Fantast collection looking thus far?  

I wonder how the grading of the Fantast collection is looking.

"Fantastic"???

On 4/5/2023 at 10:59 AM, october said:

The gap should be bigger. This is the only hobby where tons of people inexplicably take the label over the book itself. That second 8.0 is a dog.

The first copy that sold for more has a moderate mis-cut (trapezoidal) .... I pass on those typically. To me , neither copy is a solid benchmark. GOD BLESS .... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 4/5/2023 at 1:05 PM, Black_Adam said:

I noticed the "L" on the cover. Doesn't that mean this might be from the Larson pedigree?

Somebody check my math, but the Larson pedigree books have a cursive "Lamont" or "Larson" or some combo on the cover.  Some of the Davis Crippen pedigree copies can have a cursive "D" on the cover.