• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,953 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 9:51 PM, batmiesta said:

Now we just need 99.99 % of ebay sellers to realise it. 

I used to have a mantra in a market upswing that “the perception  becomes the reality”. In an upward moving market, if the fair market price is $1,000 and some fellow prices his at $1,200 under the delusion that it’s worth his price, a desperate buyer may eventually buy it if they can’t find a cheaper copy and that sets the market price. 

If the weak hands sell, leaving only delusional sellers, that could become the new floor.  The complication is they won’t sell anything as the market stabilizes. All boils down to the mood of the sellers…are they willing to hold the line?  

I am fortunate that I’ve been swapping out my Bronze Age books and even my late silver age works for early silver and gold merge stuff so this downturn isn’t really bothering me much. But I do have a copy of the first appearance of iron fist. That book has dropped so much that when I consider selling it to buy more golden age I looked at the price of it and just decided that I’d rather keep it than sell it at those prices.

The books I most regret selling the most are those I sold too cheap. An X-men 94 for $50. A low grade X-men 1 for $150, etc. I can’t regret selling expensive books for big $$$.  After seeing prices for MP15, I started thinking about upgrading since prices are so low. Right now might be a good time to upgrade bronze. 

On 3/31/2023 at 6:42 AM, 1Cool said:

What was the GPA price in 2019?

AF#15, 7.5 made its big jump earlier in 2017 when it went from a single low sale of $82.5K in 2016, to $102K in early 2017 and $140K in late 2017.  Seems to correspond to Spider-Man: Homecoming hype?

On 4/1/2023 at 11:53 AM, Westy Steve said:

I used to have a mantra in a market upswing that “the perception  becomes the reality”. In an upward moving market, if the fair market price is $1,000 and some fellow prices his at $1,200 under the delusion that it’s worth his price, a desperate buyer may eventually buy it if they can’t find a cheaper copy and that sets the market price. 

If the weak hands sell, leaving only delusional sellers, that could become the new floor.  The complication is they won’t sell anything as the market stabilizes. All boils down to the mood of the sellers…are they willing to hold the line?

Not just willing, but are they ABLE to hold the line.  There has to be a lot of sellers who bought inventory at peak prices and they will be forced to adjust their prices and take losses to keep their businesses afloat.

Perception also becomes reality when markets are in a downswing as well, especially for items like most SA and more modern comics that are plentiful.

WTF.................not much easing on this book here, but then I guess that's because there's only 79 copies in this equivalent grade here:  :screwy:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/science-fiction/aliens-1-dark-horse-1988-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7339-94222.s

Modern Age (1980-Present):Science Fiction, Aliens #1 (Dark Horse, 1988) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Just sold for a rather astonishing 2021 FOMO like crypto price point of $7,500 and who said that CA books were deader than a door nail.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/1/2023 at 2:26 PM, lou_fine said:

WTF.................not much easing on this book here, but then I guess that's because there's only 79 copies in this equivalent grade here:  :screwy:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/science-fiction/aliens-1-dark-horse-1988-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7339-94222.s

Modern Age (1980-Present):Science Fiction, Aliens #1 (Dark Horse, 1988) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Just sold for a rather astonishing 2021 FOMO like crypto price point of $7,500 and who said that CA books were deader than a door nail.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

That is only 28X the last 9.6 sale, seems about right! 

On 3/29/2023 at 11:22 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

When I went to place a track on the one that sold yesterday I, of course, saw the Covid-19 Period sale since I had not placed a track on that one and hoped that the person that won it is a collector and not a flipper because unless they sold it right after the sale (I'll fantasize for a profit) that is likely a financial loss. Granted, perhaps that amount of money for that individual is a pittance. 

The person who bought the extreme outlier was probably the wife or something of the seller .... you know, to "pimp" up interest for a title or genre that they are very flush with. They should have at least used an issue that is less common in grade ... but at least it was a Wrightson. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/3/2023 at 4:31 PM, Doctor Obscure said:

Of course, you all know that Marvel's initial 2099 line from 1992 are going to be valuable keys in the near future. You all know!

I'm sure this is a joke  I'm missing,  but did something happen with 2099 stuff? 

Back in 1999 when I was in high school,  I bought some original art from FF 2099 and Raven 2099 because I thought it looked cool and it was there. I'm sure it's worth more than I paid for it,  but it's not exactly like owning a Bernie Wrightson splash page.  

24 years later I'm fairly indifferent to it and would gladly sell it to the hoards of Raven 2099 fans that you always hear so much about. 

On 4/4/2023 at 9:47 AM, KCOComics said:

I'm sure this is a joke  I'm missing,  but did something happen with 2099 stuff? 

Back in 1999 when I was in high school,  I bought some original art from FF 2099 and Raven 2099 because I thought it looked cool and it was there. I'm sure it's worth more than I paid for it,  but it's not exactly like owning a Bernie Wrightson splash page.  

24 years later I'm fairly indifferent to it and would gladly sell it to the hoards of Raven 2099 fans that you always hear so much about. 

I thought Tuesday night was "New Universe" night.   Everyone brings their collection of DP7, and Psi-force issues to chat over?

On 4/1/2023 at 4:26 PM, lou_fine said:

Have not followed close enough but that slab's momentum will continue as the new Aliens movie filming gets underway and more hype momentum hits critical mass going into the 2024 release. 

On 4/3/2023 at 7:47 PM, KCOComics said:

Ask and I will answer:

On 4/3/2023 at 7:56 PM, Microchip said:

I thought Tuesday night was "New Universe" night.   Everyone brings their collection of DP7, and Psi-force issues to chat over?

I hope this is a real thing. I have some theories on Nightmask.

And hasn't the StarBrand been used in modern Marvel titles? It's not unreasonable to think that some degree of the New Universe, admittedly tiny, might make it's way into the MCU... stranger things have happened.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:52 AM, DC# said:

Another story from last week's Heritage auction.   Two copies of TOS #39 in 8.0.   One copy with bright reds, double quotes, full $0.12, blue under-table, and OW/W went for $5k more than the 8.0 with more faded red, no blue, no double quotes, and CR/OW pages.   ($38.4k vs $33.6k)

The peak for this book was a single sale in 2021 of $89.5k (a 8.5 went for $99k in the same year).   2022 average was $44.6k (2 sales) - so the nicer book was down 15% from 2022 while the other down 25%.   

ScreenShot2023-04-05at7_40_20AM.png.781474acb1561c6e8554418f10873ad4.pngScreenShot2023-04-05at7_40_55AM.png.d9e346e29648aad00b118a70d6a15021.png

beatdown continues.