• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,933 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2021 at 10:09 AM, alexgross.com said:

no disrespect intended, but in my experience, many major dealers have a hard time lowering their expectations on pricing for keys from recent all-time GPA highs, as has happened in 2021 on many books. this past spring saw new records set on so many books, but the market is different now. that's hard to come to terms with for many sellers. often they may just wait and hold the books, hoping prices move back up this coming spring. 

of course this does not pertain to all of them, and there are other places to buy, like auctions and stores. though many store owners are similar in this respect, in my experience. 

Sure, but eventually, they need to sell to stay in business.  Can't keep an overpriced book on the shelves forever.

On 12/9/2021 at 7:51 AM, HotKey said:

Sold for over 19k in May.

Screenshot_20211209-075118_Instagram.jpg

I actually added a Hulk 181 back to the collection last night based on the selling prices. Although I replaced with a copy 1.5 grades below the last one I sold for more than I sold it for.

I have always done better buying in November/December on bigger keys but that price difference you posted is beyond the seasonal drop. I hope the newer collectors understand the seasonal drop that almost always happen and do not panic.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:51 AM, HotKey said:

Sold for over 19k in May.

Screenshot_20211209-075118_Instagram.jpg

The prices from Clink are just weak compared to eBay or basically any other selling platform. A 9.0 OW/W sold on eBay on 10/27 for $11,600 and another on 10/24 for $11,999. There's an auction for a 9.2 W on eBay right now. It will be interesting to see where it ends compared to the Comiclink sale. 

Edited by rsouxlja7

On 12/9/2021 at 9:08 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

The prices from Clink are just weak compared to eBay or basically any other selling platform. A 9.0 OW/W sold on eBay on 10/27 for $11,600 and another on 10/24 for $11,999. There's an auction for a 9.2 W on eBay right now. It will be interesting to see where it ends compared to the Comiclink sale. 

Those 9.0s were fixed price sales; also, a month can certainly make a difference in a fast moving market heading into the holidays. 

On 12/3/2021 at 2:07 PM, Aman619 said:

sorry guys.  I was repeating what Id read here... but cant remember the specifics of the other competing issues that used to be or are now the first appearance.  I think the souring was centered on whether the "Carol Danvers without powers" was ultimately not enough to warrant first appearance status?   and, jeez Im a guy, soI cant figure out why do so many guys hate Brie Larson?  Or are you all surrounded by bodaciousness in your lives!  : )   and she's a great actress and was an (Academy Best Actress Winner) casting coup for Marvel.

I really liked the movie "Captain Marvel".  I thought Brie did ok in it.  Not great but good enough.   I can't wait for Captain Marvel II to come out. 

On 12/9/2021 at 11:22 AM, musicmeta said:

I really liked the movie "Captain Marvel".  I thought Brie did ok in it.  Not great but good enough.   I can't wait for Captain Marvel II to come out. 

The guys from Honest Trailers described my feelings on Captain Marvel almost exactly.  I definitely want to get my daughter to watch i with me now that she is old enough-

On 12/9/2021 at 11:51 AM, Hamlet said:

The guys from Honest Trailers described my feelings on Captain Marvel almost exactly.  I definitely want to get my daughter to watch i with me now that she is old enough-

I liked the movie, but got a great kick out of this trailer - very funny.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:09 PM, alexgross.com said:

no disrespect intended, but in my experience, many major dealers have a hard time lowering their expectations on pricing for keys from recent all-time GPA highs, as has happened in 2021 on many books. this past spring saw new records set on so many books, but the market is different now. that's hard to come to terms with for many sellers. often they may just wait and hold the books, hoping prices move back up this coming spring. 

of course this does not pertain to all of them, and there are other places to buy, like auctions and stores. though many store owners are similar in this respect, in my experience. 

As a less experienced and less knowledgeable collector I find buying very confusing at present as sellers frequently mention GPA but seem to ignore it when it comes to their pricing. I found a Daredevil 8.0 on a site for $22500 but the GPA 90 day average is $15600 and last one sold is $14400. It seems like the bigger keys that I have the opportunity to buy are all priced above what they are currently selling for, Is this normal or have I just been unlucky?

On 12/9/2021 at 4:29 PM, Wreck-It Ralph said:

As a less experienced and less knowledgeable collector I find buying very confusing at present as sellers frequently mention GPA but seem to ignore it when it comes to their pricing. I found a Daredevil 8.0 on a site for $22500 but the GPA 90 day average is $15600 and last one sold is $14400. It seems like the bigger keys that I have the opportunity to buy are all priced above what they are currently selling for, Is this normal or have I just been unlucky?

I feel your pain.  Just got back into collecting in 2018 after a multi-decade period off from big buys.  I finally have (had) the money to spend on some of the books I wanted, and now the prices are 2 or 3 times higher than they were in 2018, or even last year.  I was looking at Blue Bolt #105 in the Comic Link auction,  a 4.5 sold for $3819 in  May 2020, so of course this 4.0 goes for $7880!  Prices are up all over the place!  I cannot bring myself to pay 2 or 3 times what I consider to be recent prices until I see some stabilization.  I am not going to be the one without a chair when the music stops.

High quality material, such as the "promise collection " books especially in very high grade will continue to go up many much faster than this year, and when the last of them are sold directly look for a price jump. We are seeing in mega-keys also price jumps especially now in the lower grade mega keys record prices and new records will be broken at the end of this year and into next year.. It is my opinion this  price growth will continue in 2022 especially in GA/SA comic books. which are CGC graded, especially with high page quality and no major staple issues. 2022 is looking mighty great.

On 12/9/2021 at 3:01 PM, Drummy said:

That FF #1 result was eye-opening...I bid on it and got whacked like a narc at a biker rally.

Yep.. I am sure a LOT of the underbidders felt like one of the members in this party  when they saw those results.

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

On 12/9/2021 at 6:29 PM, Drummy said:

Yup -- I was the cat in the tree.  Landed on my feet and am trying to wrangle another copy...

I do not blame you .

FF#1 is definitely an amazing book to have in the collection.