• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,545 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

:bump:

do we have any boardies here with an affiliation to GPA Analysis?

if so, the site could be made more accurate by including sales taxes into their report data.

especially with the Current record setting Promise Collection. Is there anyone that Heritage does NOT charge sales taxes to? 

The sales of the Promise Collection are already in GPA, but I see they are inaccurate by thousands of dollars since they do not account for taxes in their sales report data. 

the GPA data does add in the BP, thankfully. I just think they should also add taxes. Bidders factor in sales taxes as well as BP when placing bids.

The impact of sales tax isn't factored into government statistics, so why would GPA need to do that?

Plus, sales taxes aren't uniform and vary state by state, so GPA would need to know which state each buyer is in to apply the applicable tax rate.  And then they'd need to know if the buyer was exempt from paying the state tax.

So yeah, I can see why they're not jumping all over that idea.

15 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

OK, I guess that is how I will start viewing the GPA data.  Mentally, I will start adding approx 6% to whatever sales price is reflected therein.  Thanks for the idea.

Since I don't pay sales tax, I hope every bidder out there will start factoring in sales tax into their max bids! 

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Lucky you. For those of us not so lucky, it would be stupid not to. It added $4k to my purchase :sumo:

I respect the honestly in declaring “you don’t sell comics” and thus are not eligible for a sales tax certificate. I imagine a lot of collectors started out that way. However, you should consider the tax benefit of selling some books and treating your books as inventory in a Schedule C business. Many here are more collector than dealer, but will sell their undercopy once they upgrade. If certain books are lifelong keepers for you, they can be partitioned into the “personal use” category, and not be part of your business inventory. 
Either way you own the book. 

And eating the insurance costs as well. Which to cover 250K+ ain't pennies.  The amount of $ being funneled into the "hobby", obviously has your attention, deserves some of your first rate analytical skills?

On 6/19/2021 at 9:56 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

As for the books themselves, my biggest concern is nagging doubts over grade consistency.  There are some WTF scans of high grade Promise books that when scrutinized and closely examined using HA enlargement tool with noticeable color breaking issues that don't seem to merit their grade designations when compared to other peds and non-ped counterparts.  Note: This isn't meant to criticize graders or anyone's rationale for grades, but the scans are what they are.  

My general assessment is that many of the Promise books appear to be two grade clicks off just from cover flaws (9.8 = 9.4, 9.4 = 9.0 etc., but it's a case by case thing).  They're still incredible books worthy of status, but maybe nudged in status a bit too much.  Maybe the Promise books are getting extra credit for color pop or nice interiors, but cover flaws used to take books down several notches automatically.

Sorry, that's my honest (long winded) two cents, even as a bidder on these books.  :sorry: 

A nice concise summary on the first batch of the Promise Collection books and I certainly hope they do a much better and balanced unbiased job on the grading for the rest of the batches going forward.  (thumbsu  :wishluck:

The problem that I had with grading for this first batch of Promise Collection books was the complete inconsistency with respect to the grading of books, with some scans indeed indicating some serious overgrading, while others appear to be within reason.  This inconsistency then raises the question of possible defects inside the books which cannot be seen by a scanned image making it rather difficult to place a bid that's in line with the grade as assigned by CGC. hm

As Cat had mentioned above, since some of the books were seemingly off by two full grading levels, I ended up placing bids on the books which I wanted that were at least two levels downs from their assigned grades.  Needless to say, came nowhere close to winning any of the bids, as it looks like most of the bidders didn't get the same message and ended up biiding art least 2 full grading increments higher than what the assigned CGC grades were.  I guess they must have been working on the assumption that CGC had undergraded all of the books in this Promise Collection here.  :devil:

12 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 6/30/2021 at 5:00 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

OK, I guess that is how I will start viewing the GPA data.  Mentally, I will start adding approx 6% to whatever sales price is reflected therein.  Thanks for the idea.

Since I don't pay sales tax, I hope every bidder out there will start factoring in sales tax into their max bids! 

Are you saying that all imports into Hong Kong, including comic books, are both Customs duty free and tax free?  hm

Certainly not the same here for us as everything gets checked into Customs upon arrival into the country.  :mad:  :censored:

On 6/30/2021 at 4:23 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

:bump:

do we have any boardies here with an affiliation to GPA Analysis?

if so, the site could be made more accurate by including sales taxes into their report data.

especially with the Current record setting Promise Collection. Is there anyone that Heritage does NOT charge sales taxes to? 

The sales of the Promise Collection are already in GPA, but I see they are inaccurate by thousands of dollars since they do not account for taxes in their sales report data. 

the GPA data does add in the BP, thankfully. I just think they should also add taxes. Bidders factor in sales taxes as well as BP when placing bids.

Yes, anyone living in any state that doesn't charge sales tax like Montana or Oregon and anyone living abroad. So there are people that have an inherent advantage bidding on big books if they live in, say, Oregon and don't have to pay the extra 8.5% I'd have to pay because I'm in CA.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Are you saying that all imports into Hong Kong, including comic books, are both Customs duty free and tax free?  hm

Yes, that's why it's known as a duty free port.

Anyways, even with this tax advantage, I've won bupkus the last few years because items aren't being overpriced by a mere 5-10%.

On 7/1/2021 at 12:19 PM, lou_fine said:

Certainly not the same here for us as everything gets checked into Customs upon arrival into the country.  :mad:  :censored:

Oh yeah!!

23 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 7/1/2021 at 9:19 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, that's why it's known as a duty free port.

Anyways, even with this tax advantage, I've won bupkus the last few years because items aren't being overpriced by a mere 5-10%.

29 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Oh yeah!!

Yeah, gotta find some way to move my tax residency to Hong Kong since it looks like they don't even have any capital gains tax at all, which really works out for big time collectors like @tth2 when they can sell hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of comic books totally tax free.  hm  

:takeit: :takeit:  the tax free duty port, that is.  :devil:

On 7/2/2021 at 7:57 PM, tth2 said:
On 7/2/2021 at 4:11 PM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, gotta find some way to move my tax residency to Hong Kong since it looks like they don't even have any capital gains tax at all

Plus HK doesn't tax dividends or interest. 

Okay, future roomie to be............you've convinced me, although I don't know how your lovely family's going to feel about me moving in. :baiting:

I've already booked my flight and expect you to pick me up when I arrive at the Hong Kong Int'l Airport.  :bigsmile:

I can't wait and just imagine that................no taxes of any kind to worry about at all and living right in Stanley, the exclusive ritzy quiet seaside coastal town of Hong Kong where all of the wealthy ex-pats live.  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

42 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Okay, future roomie to be............you've convinced me, although I don't know how your lovely family's going to feel about me moving in. :baiting:

I've already booked my flight and expect you to pick me up when I arrive at the Hong Kong Int'l Airport.  :bigsmile:

I can't wait and just imagine that................no taxes of any kind to worry about at all and living right in Stanley, the exclusive ritzy quiet seaside coastal town of Hong Kong where all of the wealthy ex-pats live.  :takeit:

:fear:

41 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
On 7/3/2021 at 10:57 AM, tth2 said:

Plus HK doesn't tax dividends or interest. 

That can't be true because we in the US have been told that would lead to the collapse of society.

Okay okay, you've seen through the facade that HK presents to the rest of the world.

Here's the real HK:

Nuclear post-apocalypse survivors Stock Photo - Alamy