• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2021 at 4:16 PM, Dr. Love said:

With 383 books placed in the September Sig, 61 books in the weekly 8/1-2 and 49 so far in 8/8-9 and counting daily - it seems HA is moving up the originally talked about 1 1/2 year rollout into something denser, maybe a year tops, maybe even less than that.  They've gauged the demand and acted quickly and accordingly.  

remember  they said slightly over 5000 books, like 5200 so the math might still be close. They appear to still be adding a few, the total now is 384

Edited by Mmehdy

On 7/26/2021 at 3:38 PM, Mmehdy said:

383 Promise collection books so far in the upcoming HA Sign auction including Superboy #1. 9.4...any guesses, record price?

I need to see the image but I have been a bit surprised by the price for Superboy 1 in the last few years.  Definitely stronger than previous years.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, batman_fan said:

I need to see the image but I have been a bit surprised by the price for Superboy 1 in the last few years.  Definitely stronger than previous years.

lawd, they have quite a run of torch coming up; sure would like to get a couple, since i was shut out on subby.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, Straw-Man said:

lawd, they have quite a run of torch coming up; sure would like to get a couple, since i was shut out on subby.

Just keep pushing the bid button until you destroy all competitors. :baiting:

Maybe have a masseuse on standby to ensure that your hand is loose and your fingers flexible and ready.  hm

Edited by adamstrange

On 7/29/2021 at 5:39 AM, adamstrange said:
On 7/29/2021 at 3:24 AM, Straw-Man said:

Maybe have a masseuse on standby to ensure that your hand is loose and your fingers flexible and ready.  hm

I've never understood why the auction houses don't feature a "Just Win, Baby!" button.  

On 6/25/2021 at 3:59 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Seriously. I know BP is 20%. What is the sellers premium again?  

it sounds like you save yourself the sellers premium, but your walk away money is only 80% of what the buyer pays. Heritage pockets the full 20% BP.

I think the Promise deal will net the seller 90% because not only do you not pay sellers fee, the BP must additionally get split 50 50 between the seller and Heritage 

interesting. Not sure what to make of the disparity in offer. Could this be a marketing technique to attract more interest in the Promise Collection? If so, you’d think they would have informed us of this before bidding.  Right now, I only think the buyers of the first wave of Promise Collection books are privy to this information, so if it’s a marketing technique, it’s one I don’t understand.

could Heritage be thinking there’s still upward lift to these books such that subsequent sales will bring more money? Not sure why else heritage would be willing to leave money on the table like that

Close but not quite. 

on a book that sells for 120, the BP is 20 right.   So heritage keeps 1/6 (20/120) and the consignor 5/6.  

that works out to 16.67% for heritage and 83.33% for the consignor.

16% of the total is really quite competitive with eBay/PayPal and then on top of that you don’t need to lift a finger.   No listings , hassles, communication, etc.   The only downside being the long wait for your money.

Edited by Bronty

On 7/28/2021 at 2:39 PM, adamstrange said:

Marvel Mystery #66 is my favorite button pusher in the upcoming auction, the 9.8 book is just "insane"  out of the  412 Promise  books being sold in that auction

Edited by Mmehdy

On 7/30/2021 at 4:37 PM, Mmehdy said:

Marvel Mystery #66 is my favorite button pusher in the upcoming auction, the 9.8 book is just "insane"  out of the  412 Promise  books being sold in that auction

That's the one I was ogling, too.  But 9.8 Schomburg Timelys went for north of $80k in the first auction, so I've already tapped out on this.

Or have I?

image.gif.b81e660aef0109f39dad37023f2af067.gif

hey @Cat-Man_America, I know you’ve got some thoughts on this matter

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 7/30/2021 at 3:01 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That's the one I was ogling, too.  But 9.8 Schomburg Timelys went for north of $80k in the first auction, so I've already tapped out on this.

Or have I?

give it your best shot...an incredible rarity.....and more books this auction up from 360 something last auction.

Edited by Mmehdy

I think now is the time for MM 66 to manifest it's true magnitude. It's truly a "best of the best" kind of book ... Schomburg :cloud9: GOD BLESS ....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 7/30/2021 at 5:01 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Or have I?

image.gif.b81e660aef0109f39dad37023f2af067.gif

hey @Cat-Man_America, I know you’ve got some thoughts on this matter

Sorry, I was at the King Crimson pre-show and concert tonight in Ft. Worth (fully masked and vaxxed).

I have two copies of #66 and the Schomburg painting :x  ...so I've already climbed Mt. Everest.  

My opinion? ...At this point I'm kinda like Caesar watching gladiatorial combat. 

Seriously, I think the Promise MM #66 will go well north of 80K!

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale, naturally!

On 7/31/2021 at 3:38 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Sorry, I was at the King Crimson pre-show and concert tonight in Ft. Worth (fully masked and vaxxed).

I have two copies of #66 and the Schomburg painting :x  ...so I've already climbed Mt. Everest.  

My opinion? ...At this point I'm kinda like Caesar watching gladiatorial combat. 

Seriously, I think the Promise MM #66 will go well north of 80K!

King Crimson? Damn, they're not coming to Canada this time. Saw them 2 years ago.

On 8/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, comicnoir said:

King Crimson? Damn, they're not coming to Canada this time. Saw them 2 years ago.

Excellent performances by KC and their opening act, California Guitar Trio.  They were even better this time around than when my late wife and I saw them back in ‘95.  I’ll edit this a little later when I’m back on my desk-top adding my review and a few photos my buddy Bob Wayne took from the event.  (thumbsu

On 8/1/2021 at 5:30 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Excellent performances by KC and their opening act, California Guitar Trio.  They were even better this time around than when my late wife and I saw them back in ‘95.  I’ll edit this a little later when I’m back on my desk-top adding my review and a few photos my buddy Bob Wayne took from the event.  (thumbsu

Yes I remember the California Guitar Trio. Gawd, I remember Cross, Bruford , Wetton and Fripp performing Starless and Fracture, cause I'm old.

On 8/1/2021 at 4:30 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Friday night's King Crimson concert at the Will Roger's Center opened with the California Guitar Trio ...actually the California Guitar two-thirds with Tom Griesgraber filling-in for Hideyo Moriya who was unable to make this leg of the tour. CGT performed several complex pieces to rounds of applause finishing with a brilliant version of Echoes from Pink Floyd's Meddle played flawlessly with an array of difficult effects on amplified acoustic guitars.  

Following CGT's performance there was a brief break and King Crimson took the stage with standing ovation before they ever started. That bar was met several times over the course of the evening and raised every time. King Crimson's set list for the night (the first set was followed by a 20 minute intermission):

-Set I

Drumzilla
Pictures of a City
Epitaph 
Radical Action II
Level Five

-Set 2

The Court of the Crimson King 
Red
One More Red Nightmare
Indiscipline 
Starless

-encore
21st Century Schizoid Man

Excellent show, fairly rowdy Texas audience ...especially toward the end of the second set after a lot of alcohol had been consumed, the venue nearly sold-out in spite of Covid-variant concerns. The audience was more mixed age-wise than expected skewing slightly to older KC legacy fans.

Stand out performances of One More Red Nightmare, Starless and In the Court of the Crimson King although every number was solid. When included the center piece of any Crimson concert is an encore of 21st Century Schizoid Man. The version performed last night was searing in it's presentation, delivered with such profundity that it came across as a statement on the world we find ourselves in. Timeless piece and perfect show closer.

In spoilers, images Bob Wayne took at the close of the concert (we were provided great seats for the event, center section, row J):

Spoiler

IMG_4276.thumb.jpg.85f24b75b4d053798ea2e591567dc3b6.jpg

Spoiler

IMG_4271.thumb.jpg.bc0a6e44deb6c45dbe69ea2916d7dffd.jpg

Spoiler

IMG_4273.thumb.jpg.dcd616b2c6caaabf2575499bc3041570.jpg

Spoiler

Have no idea how Bob got this shot unless he somehow managed to sneak in an aerial drone... lol

IMG_4283.thumb.jpg.b8e2dd4368af2b7231a0257c6aba3287.jpg

Having just checked out the KC Facebook page, I suspect this shot was taken from the back of the Hall by manager David Singleton and sent to Bob.

All stage shots were taken after the performance per approval of Robert Fripp, who's very finicky about photography during performances.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:22 PM, comicnoir said:

Yes I remember the California Guitar Trio. Gawd, I remember Cross, Bruford , Wetton and Fripp performing Starless and Fracture, cause I'm old.

Yeah, Bob Wayne saw them back then too! Alas, I didn't see KC in that era, although I've known Bob that long. Back in '74 he, his wife and a couple of other friends and I caught C,S,N & Y in the Texas Stadium (Irving), 47 years ago.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:48 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I thought Greg lake had passed away

(yes I’m old too)

He did, ...Michael "Jakko" Jakszyk has been with the group as vocalist and second guitar since 2013.  He's stellar at replicating the vocal styles of Lake and Wetton.  

And I think we all need a beer! 

Spoiler

(edited)_(edited)_3E96EA46-036D-4C55-9AAE-E48790F4D6EF.jpg.8f42d277f5132d7bfb5fbf5870b2fc01.jpg

Edited by Cat-Man_America
More info, ...and ale!