• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2021 at 3:18 PM, MrBedrock said:

If I am reading this correctly...you are saying that your desire for comics is influenced solely by the acceptance of others? Right now everyone says Vancouvers are the better books so those are the ones you currently want, but if everyone else says Promise books are the best then those would be the ones you would want? Is that right?

Absolutely no idea where you got this from in terms of reading my post.  doh!

I think everybody here (including you lol) knows very well that the desirability for a particular comic book or group of comic books is determined by many factors.  Surprisingly, market acceptance would just happen to be one of them and might help to explain the reason why a Church or Allentown copy of a particular book sells for more than say a Davis Crippen copy even though they are both pedigree copies and might even be in equivalent graded condition.  :gossip:  :whatthe:

Too early in the game for the Promise Collection books with still so many copies left to see what's actually in there, and these early copies (especially the first batch) highly influenced by both hype and the current robust marketplace, that I am not sure if these prices will hold going forward as we get further along into the collection.  (shrug)

BTW:  Absolutely love that Promise Collection of Flash 86 which you picked up as it appears to be an absolute beauty with all those bright sharp cover colors as that has always been one of my very favorite Flash covers by far.  :luhv:  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/7/2021 at 5:21 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Peace, brother

Just a few questions. I am truly bewildered by the posts.

On 8/7/2021 at 2:54 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 8/7/2021 at 1:57 PM, szav said:

Are we going to see the video of you breaking out the Flash 86 in an upcoming episode of your ongoing web series Crackheads?...or whatever it was called.

:popcorn:

Thanks for asking. Nope.

Sadly, most definitely not the best idea in the world from a strict financial POV, considering the new grading fees that CGC just put into place the other month.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/7/2021 at 5:46 PM, lou_fine said:

Sadly, most definitely not the best idea in the world from a strict financial POV, considering the new grading fees that CGC just put into place the other month.  :(

You don't even read the posts you respond to, do you?

On 8/6/2021 at 5:30 PM, Jginsberg79 said:

Promise book up for sale already. All Winners 7 over on Elite Comics on IG. Essentially asking what they paid. Curious to see how many more slip out in the next few months...

Since I don't have a FaceBook or IG account, any idea how much more they are asking for this Promise copy of All Winners 7 since it looks like it sold for $9,600 at HA less tha a month ago:  hm

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-winners-comics-7-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1942-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122129-15045.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F2%2F24382629%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Looks like a very nicely presenting copy to me, especially relative to the CGC assigned grade of only CGC 5.5 F-.  :luhv:   (thumbsu

Then again, maybe it's sacrilege to say something like that here, as certain board members here will view a statement like that to be as questioning CGC's grading.  :facepalm:  :screwy:

On 8/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Since I don't have a FaceBook or IG account, any idea how much more they are asking for this Promise copy of All Winners 7 since it looks like it sold for $9,600 at HA less tha a month ago:  hm

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-winners-comics-7-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1942-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122129-15045.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F2%2F24382629%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Looks like a very nicely presenting copy to me, especially relative to the CGC assigned grade of only CGC 5.5 F-.  :luhv:   (thumbsu

Then again, maybe it's sacrilege to say something like that here, as certain board members here will view a statement like that to be as questioning CGC's grading.  :facepalm:  :screwy:

10k. 

On 8/7/2021 at 3:51 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 8/7/2021 at 3:46 PM, lou_fine said:

You don't even read the posts you respond to, do you?

Oh, there you are............the same old usual snarky and obtuse long time boardie who's finally come out from his hibernation and back onto the comic book boards here.  :hi:

Needless to say, all of your fomer boardie buddies here missed your usual derisive and condescending posts while you were gone.  lol

Seriously though, are you implying that you don't have to pay for regrading fees if you crack out one of your CGC graded books when you eventually go to have it reslabbed?  doh!

Or, did you miss my point because YOU don't even read or understand the posts that YOU are responding to?  (:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/7/2021 at 6:30 PM, lou_fine said:

Oh, there you are............the same old usual snarky and obtuse long time boardie who's finally come out from his hibernation and back onto the comic book boards here.  :hi:

Needless to say, all of your fomer boardie buddies here missed your usual derisive and condescending posts while you were gone.  lol

Seriously though, are you implying that you don't have to pay for regrading fees if you crack out one of your CGC graded books when you eventually go to have it reslabbed?  doh!

Or, did you miss my point because YOU don't even read or understand the posts that YOU are responding to?  (:

Scott asked if I was going to post a video of cracking out the Flash 86.

I said no.

You said that was a bad idea because of regrading fees. (What do regrading fees have to do with whether or not I post a video?)

I asked if you even read the post or my response.

You think that is snarky.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:05 PM, lou_fine said:

No, just speaking from a relative point of view in terms of the PQ, but really more specifically I would prefer a Vancouver pedigree over a Promise Collection pedigree book at this current point in time if given the same grade, PQ, and pricing range. (thumbsu

My opinion here (FWIW which is probably zero lol) might change over time since it's still too early in the game for the Promise Collection books to see their true acceptance in the marketplace, and especially with all of the over blown hype that's currently being thrown around with this pedigree right now.  hm

I've always wanted to pick up a Vancouver book, but I haven't seen many from the genres that I focus on. I may have to be a bit flexible if I want to snag one.

Speaking of the Vancouver collection, the Namora #1 is a good example of what can happen to an overgraded book in the marketplace. It sold for $13,800 in 2006 and then $7,767.50 in 2009.

I don't think overgrading was a major issue with the Vancouver collection overall, but that particular book looked badly overgraded. I think bidders noticed the second time around and backed off.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/8/2021 at 1:55 AM, lou_fine said:

Big congrats on your Promise Collection pick up here with respect to this Western True Crime 16.  :applause:

Especially since it looks like you was able to scoop up your copy at a relatively attractive price of only $660, considering that this equivalent CGC 9.4 graded Vancouver peidgree copy sold for $900 at HA only about 6 short weeks earlier:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/western-true-crime-16-2-vancouver-pedigree-fox-features-syndicate-1948-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7244-97123.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F1%2F1%2F24111780%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

As the consignor of the Vancouver copy, I'm delighted to see that it sold for more than the Promise copy, particularly since it means Billy was able to win the Promise copy at a decent price!   

I will say that the Vancouver copy has a straighter cut than the Promise copy, although the Vancouver copy was cut a bit too low, leaving the unsightly black line across the top.  Of course I have no idea if that impacted the pricing at all.  Most people aren't quite as insane about these things as I am.

On 8/7/2021 at 10:27 PM, tth2 said:

Let's all calm down and keep the big picture in mind, which is that the Vancouver copy (consigned by me) went for a higher price than the Promise copy (not consigned by me). 

Hey Tim;

Can you please sprinkle some of your magic dust onto the rest of us poor slobs when it eventually comes time for us to sell our books here?  :takeit:

It seems that you just have the magic touch of always getting the highest prices for your books, especially when some of them are such unexpected outliers and completely out of this world like the $90K for your Four Color Uncle Scrooge in the last Heritage Auction.  :applause:

On 8/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, MrBedrock said:

Scott asked if I was going to post a video of cracking out the Flash 86.

I said no.

You said that was a bad idea because of regrading fees. (What do regrading fees have to do with whether or not I post a video?)

I asked if you even read the post or my response.

You think that is snarky.

No, not that one particular post in and of itself, but I clearly and definitely do get that sense from the gist of all of your other posts leading up to it.  (shrug)

And yes, you are correct in stating that regrading fees have nothing to do with whether or not you are posting a video.  I was referring more to the fact that since it was to be a video on you cracking out a book, this would eventually result in regrading fees upon being reslabbed.  Of course, I would be wrong here if you was planning to sell the book raw upon its eventual resale, and dare I say lol that in and of itself would also be a bad idea since slabbed books always sell for more than raw books in today's vintage collectible comic book marketplace.  (thumbsu

So, to rephrase the gist of my original post which you did not seem to fully understand on the first go round.  Although it might not be the best idea from a strict financial POV to be cracking out high dollar value books due to CGC's higher grading fees which they have recently implemented, may I also dare to add without personally offending you lol that it's probably not a bad idea from a strict collector's POV to crack out a book so that it can be enjoyed in all its glory the way it was originally meant to be enjoyed.  Especially when you should be given kudos for having already cracking out so many of your slabbed books to which @szav was referring to in his post and which many of us here (including me) enjoyed watching.  :applause:

On 8/7/2021 at 4:27 PM, Jginsberg79 said:

10k. 

Well, this definitely doesn't look like much of a profit margin (if any at all) here if they had to pay $9,600 for the book (excluding shipping charges and any state taxes if applicable) and they are now hoping to sell it for only $10K.  hm

Makes me wonder if the buyer had a change of heart about keeping the book and simply trying to recoup as much of their money as possible?  (shrug)

On 8/8/2021 at 3:27 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, this definitely doesn't look like much of a profit margin (if any at all) here if they had to pay $9,600 for the book (excluding shipping charges and any state taxes if applicable) and they are now hoping to sell it for only $10K.  hm

Makes me wonder if the buyer had a change of heart about keeping the book and simply trying to recoup as much of their money as possible?  (shrug)

Not the seller so it would be pure speculation on my part. I suspect we shall see a more of this happening in the short term though. Some of those promise books were so inflated that I can't imagine some buyers remorse or just poor attempts at flipping.

On 8/8/2021 at 9:17 PM, Straw-Man said:

while we're talking about tim's consignments, can i say "bless him" one more time for parting with this one?   i think i have about the best vancouver there is.

cmj2.jpg

This is the book that convinced me on Vancouvers.  

The term "newsstand fresh" gets overused in our hobby, but it really is accurate for this book.

On 8/6/2021 at 5:30 PM, Jginsberg79 said:

Promise book up for sale already. All Winners 7 over on Elite Comics on IG. Essentially asking what they paid. Curious to see how many more slip out in the next few months...

As others had already speculated here before, highly doubt there will really be that many of the Promise Collection books coming out for resale any time soon.  Especially since most buyers hate to be on the losing end when it comes to their bank accounts.  :tonofbricks:

Clearly the scenario for the Promise Collection books is playing out quite differently as compared to the Jon Berk books where we saw so many of them come back out into the marketplace within a few weeks encased in higher graded slabs and reselling for significantly more money.  I still remember seeing a whole slew of the Jon Berk books going through Ritter's Worldwide website like this and I guess only time will tell if this same MO will take place with the Promise Collection books, but I highly doubt it for many reasons.  :taptaptap:

Although collectors might call it something else not so endearing, but speaking from a corporate POV, this would be a classic example of business synergies in full play.  :devil: