• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2021 at 9:17 AM, Straw-Man said:

while we're talking about tim's consignments, can i say "bless him" one more time for parting with this one?   i think i have about the best vancouver there is.

cmj2.jpg

:whatthe:

On 8/7/2021 at 6:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Since I don't have a FaceBook or IG account, any idea how much more they are asking for this Promise copy of All Winners 7 since it looks like it sold for $9,600 at HA less tha a month ago:  hm

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-winners-comics-7-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1942-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122129-15045.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F3%2F8%2F2%2F24382629%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Looks like a very nicely presenting copy to me, especially relative to the CGC assigned grade of only CGC 5.5 F-.  :luhv:   (thumbsu

Then again, maybe it's sacrilege to say something like that here, as certain board members here will view a statement like that to be as questioning CGC's grading.  :facepalm:  :screwy:

I see its now for sale on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184990035124?hash=item2b1243ecb4:g:QeMAAOSwldthETsq

On 8/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, goldenacase said:

Yes, with a BIN for the exact same price it sold thru Heritage: $9600.  I hate to see it when a buyer gets overwhelmed like that. 

On 8/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes, with a BIN for the exact same price it sold thru Heritage: $9600.  I hate to see it when a buyer gets overwhelmed like that. 

It could be buyer's remorse, but it could also have been purchased for "likes" on social media.  That seems to be a popular collecting method in some circles.

Sometimes people "thrill" bid on Ha or CC or any auction and win by accident. I had consigned to ha a 10K plus item, it was bid and won and the the buyer said he did not have the money and they offered him time payments and he  bailed on both of us. So it might be possible that could be why this book is back so quick. The other is buyer remorse and unless you are either a TCBC or a true comic book investor to be able  to hold for 1, 2 or even 3 years you run the risk of breaking even if you need a quick out. Do not get me wrong this is a great book, it just might not be the right fit for the collector or investor timewise.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s crazy.

It's the 21st  Century.  (shrug)

On 8/8/2021 at 10:16 AM, Mmehdy said:

any predictions for tonight's Promise auction...any bargain out there???

Hey Mitch;

Looks like you can pick up the entire run of Lance O'Casey all in one shot if that's what you are into.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Maybe one of his grails showed up in an auction a few days after he bought the book. That always happens to me.

What if he were to stiff HA? Would they pursue him in court or just ban him?

On 8/9/2021 at 6:37 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Maybe one of his grails showed up in an auction a few days after he bought the book. That always happens to me.

What if he were to stiff HA? Would they pursue him in court or just ban him?

I know in my case they did not allow him to bid anymore in any auction. Of course he could use a straw person and keep in bidding up other bidders, such as the risk in an auction. My rule is to figure out what amount I want to pay..MAX before the auction and stick to it. There were however a lot of cases where I was prepared to pay double which I got the item for so win some, lose some so be it. A great book above me, super purchase especially historically speaking in terms of this collection.

On 8/17/2021 at 12:35 AM, Dr. Love said:

Quite the spectacle in HA Promise romance tonight.  Doesn't mean much to you guys, but in our little part of the world, pretty seismic.  This is a Monday night weekly after all.

But though the numbers are pegged in the "system" and will have a buoyant effect on the genre, these values are not transferable to identically graded books.  Unlike the big grades for the "real" GA titles, the overall average grade for the romance books is 9.0.  So there are books out there that can compare.  But they wouldn't see this kind of action even if they were offered tomorrow.

You can consider this a benchmark for the drawing power of the ped.  And HA's pull if you're inclined to see it that way.  Or Perfect Comic Storm, at the macro level.

This is only the 3rd highest graded copy, tied at this grade with a higher 9.2 and a 9.4 out there.  It's a nondescript Prize romance photocover.  Now there are some Prize photocovers (YR 15 for instance) that will get serious bucks, and understandably so, but this one hasn't been in that club.  And not for this grade.

$660

Golden Age (1938-1955):Romance, Young Romance Comics #13 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Prize, 1949) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages....

It’s a fine book, and I’m glad for you. And maybe a bit jealous too! When you land that wheelhouse book, it’s a feeling like no other

On 8/17/2021 at 2:37 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

It’s a fine book, and I’m glad for you. And maybe a bit jealous too! When you land that wheelhouse book, it’s a feeling like no other

Nah, not my win, just my beef is all.  Obviously with the Promises we can play "it went for HOW much" all day long and into Sunday.  But romance is my wheelhouse and I'm both happy and dismayed by this result.  I've never been shy of overpaying for what I want and today's 660 is yesterday's 66 but me and my romance compadres are shocked at this one.

now if you're the lucky winner and you're reading this - congrats.  And pm me if you want other tasty 8.0 photocovers, at this number I or others I know can hook you up!    :devil:

On 8/17/2021 at 9:41 AM, Dr. Love said:

Nah, not my win, just my beef is all.  Obviously with the Promises we can play "it went for HOW much" all day long and into Sunday.  But romance is my wheelhouse and I'm both happy and dismayed by this result.  I've never been shy of overpaying for what I want and today's 660 is yesterday's 66 but me and my romance compadres are shocked at this one.

now if you're the lucky winner and you're reading this - congrats.  And pm me if you want other tasty 8.0 photocovers, at this number I or others I know can hook you up!    :devil:

:boo:

On 8/17/2021 at 6:14 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This surprised me a little

3076D6B8-746C-4FC9-86BF-322E9EE4A02C.jpeg

57E947B3-CECB-47BB-B821-A989CFD4357A.jpeg

Even with what Promise books have been going for, that one surprises me, too. Maybe someone is going after a highest-graded run of that title. I would have predicted a hammer price around $2K. For some people $8,400 is nothing. Those people used to look down their noses at comic book collecting, but I guess the hobby is more socially acceptable now. (For many years I was ridiculed mercilessly by anyone who found out I collected comic books; people were outraged that a grown man would collect comic books. I'm sure some people still feel that way, but I don't get harassed the way I used to )

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Even with what Promise books have been going for, that one surprises me, too. Maybe someone is going after a highest-graded run of that title. I would have predicted a hammer price around $2K. For some people $8,400 is nothing. Those people used to look down their noses at comic book collecting, but I guess the hobby is more socially acceptable now. (For many years I was ridiculed mercilessly by anyone who found out I collected comic books; people were outraged that a grown man would collect comic books. I'm sure some people still feel that way, but I don't get harassed that way I used to )

The stigma has eroded a lot in recent years, but i get 1 in 5 odd second glances these days as opposed to 4 in 5 like days of old lol

Wish i stayed up and watched the last two: as i predicted pages back some bargains would slip through (those Robin Star Spangled and Whiz's) with some covers on some i always digged :pullhair:

I just assumed they'd go higher than i thought they should. I'll be watching them live from here on out