• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

49 promise books coming up this week, next week just posted 62 for the following week if they average 50 per week, that is around 2600 in a year. Does anyone have a running total of how many promise books have sold and announced at auction so far???

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/3/2021 at 4:00 PM, Badger said:

Got this in last week. I will say that in-hand, I agree with the grade. I know it's tough through the slab to really tell but I'm very happy. The CGC slab is so clear, no Newton Rings, that you can really see the full cover gloss and the color dripping inks. The scanner greatly magnified the marks on the cover. I can barely see them in real life. The people who bought books in 9.4 and higher are hopefully blown away with their purchases. At the price point these are going for this will probably be my only purchase, I promise.

sub24_CGC_Front.thumb.jpg.4c13e56830da16bad285372269ec384f.jpg

My experience was the same.  Only one book, but grade was spot on and defects/potential defects were hypermagnified.  

On 8/5/2021 at 11:53 AM, buttock said:

My experience was the same.  Only one book, but grade was spot on and defects/potential defects were hypermagnified.  

trend.jpg

On 8/6/2021 at 7:30 PM, Jginsberg79 said:

Promise book up for sale already. All Winners 7 over on Elite Comics on IG. Essentially asking what they paid. Curious to see how many more slip out in the next few months...

Didn’t that just sell a couple weeks ago?

8984FCDF-9216-4550-B232-4CDC641B45EA.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 8/3/2021 at 4:13 AM, Straw-Man said:

type-set specimen obtained!   now i can try for a run-fittin' book or two but don't have to go crazy.

Big congrats on your Promise Collection pick up here with respect to this Western True Crime 16.  :applause:

Especially since it looks like you was able to scoop up your copy at a relatively attractive price of only $660, considering that this equivalent CGC 9.4 graded Vancouver peidgree copy sold for $900 at HA only about 6 short weeks earlier:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/western-true-crime-16-2-vancouver-pedigree-fox-features-syndicate-1948-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7244-97123.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F1%2F1%2F24111780%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

For an equivalent graded copy of both pedigrees, I would definitely take the Vancouver copy with their better PQ over the Promise Collection copy although I am not sure if the higher price differential would be worth it.  (shrug)

I guess a better deal would have been the Church highest graded CGC 9.6 WP copy that also sold for only $660 at HA back in 2018, but then that would be like several lifetimes ago in this fast moving robust marketplace of ours. :bigsmile:

On 8/7/2021 at 12:55 PM, lou_fine said:

For an equivalent graded copy of both pedigrees, I would definitely take the Vancouver copy with their better PQ over the Promise Collection copy although I am not sure if the higher price differential would be worth it.  (shrug)

You seem to trust CGC's page quality designation on "these here" books, but you question their grading on almost every book. Just curious why?

Edited by MrBedrock

On 8/7/2021 at 12:55 PM, lou_fine said:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F1%2F1%2F24111780%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Can a comic really be a 9.4 with that amount of wear at the bottom staple?

I have cracked out Vancouver books and Promise books. Gotta say the page quality is about the same.

On 8/7/2021 at 2:07 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Your Flash 86? The label said OW/W. And you agree w that?

I’m quite relieved, if so

I thought the grade was spot on and the pages are better that I thought they would be.

On 8/7/2021 at 3:57 PM, szav said:

Are we going to see the video of you breaking out the Flash 86 in an upcoming episode of your ongoing web series Crackheads?...or whatever it was called.

:popcorn:

Thanks for asking. Nope.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:45 AM, MrBedrock said:
On 8/7/2021 at 10:55 AM, lou_fine said:

You seem to trust CGC's page quality designation on "these here" books, but you question their grading on almost every book. Just curious why?

No, just speaking from a relative point of view in terms of the PQ, but really more specifically I would prefer a Vancouver pedigree over a Promise Collection pedigree book at this current point in time if given the same grade, PQ, and pricing range. (thumbsu

My opinion here (FWIW which is probably zero lol) might change over time since it's still too early in the game for the Promise Collection books to see their true acceptance in the marketplace, and especially with all of the over blown hype that's currently being thrown around with this pedigree right now.  hm

On 8/7/2021 at 5:05 PM, lou_fine said:

No, just speaking from a relative point of view in terms of the PQ, but really more specifically I would prefer a Vancouver pedigree over a Promise Collection pedigree book at this current point in time if given the same grade, PQ, and pricing range. (thumbsu

My opinion here (FWIW which is probably zero lol) might change over time since it's still too early in the game for the Promise Collection books to see their true acceptance in the marketplace, and especially with all of the over blown hype that's currently being thrown around with this pedigree right now.  hm

If I am reading this correctly...you are saying that your desire for comics is influenced solely by the acceptance of others? Right now everyone says Vancouvers are the better books so those are the ones you currently want, but if everyone else says Promise books are the best then those would be the ones you would want? Is that right?

On 8/7/2021 at 11:45 AM, MrBedrock said:

you question their grading on almost every book. Just curious why?

On 8/7/2021 at 11:58 AM, MrBedrock said:

Can a comic really be a 9.4 with that amount of wear at the bottom staple?

:baiting:  lol

Seriously though, if you are referring to the Promise Collection of books which I believe you might be, if you check back on my previous posts, I believe virtually every single one of the books which I questioned was actually in response to a book identified and flagged by another board member here. :gossip:

I was basically just reiterating the same question that others had already pointed out here with respect to particular books, as I actually haven't had much time or interest yet in proactively checking out these books in detail at this current point in time.  (thumbsu

On 8/7/2021 at 12:02 PM, MrBedrock said:

I have cracked out Vancouver books and Promise books. Gotta say the page quality is about the same.

I am sure you must know that you are genralizing here, whereas you should really be talking on an individual book by book basis.  Especially since only a very small fraction of the Promise Collection books have been slabbed to date so far, and I don't think anybody save the graders have seen enough of these books to even be generalizing about the PQ on the collection as a whole.  hm

On 8/7/2021 at 5:18 PM, MrBedrock said:

If I am reading this correctly...you are saying that your desire for comics is influenced solely by the acceptance of others? Right now everyone says Vancouvers are the better books so those are the ones you currently want, but if everyone else says Promise books are the best then those would be the ones you would want? Is that right?

Peace, brother