• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 194- The Latest ASM Issue Blowing Up?
2 2

251 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2022 at 4:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
Spectacular Spider-Man 90 (5/84, Marvel Comics)
            1st black costume in title. Black Cat appearance. Vision & Scarlet Witch cameo.
Universal 1,056 9.19     209 261 199 131 93 56 44 22 10 10 11 5 3   1         1  

I do wonder if the Scarlett Witch and Vision cameo has also contributed a tiny bit?  Also due to the black cover it's condition sensitive. Census pop in 9.8 is very "low" when compared to ASM252 (or ASM194 :shiftyeyes:)

I think the low census is probably because it has only became worth grading in the last few years.  Those Spectacular Spider-Mans are pretty sparse on the census because no one will pay to slab them.  I have a 9.8 copy of 78 that I paid as much to ship from Comiclink as I bid a number of years back.  There are still only 24 copies in 9.8, which appears to be supplying all of the demand at the moment.  If I see a nice 78 in the dollar box though, I snag it. 😀

On 1/6/2022 at 5:02 PM, Hamlet said:

Sure, it’s the same month, but it’s not on the cover.  The black costume is just on the final page of the story.  The other two books have it on the cover and throughout the story.  It’s a pretty lame book to have to spend money on to complete a run, IMO. 

CEB0A057-1D7D-488F-AB94-758BB4A89841.jpeg.8eb023c15e5bc31d349f67bef45d6891.jpeg

:whistle:

On 1/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Hamlet said:
On 1/6/2022 at 2:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
Spectacular Spider-Man 90 (5/84, Marvel Comics)
            1st black costume in title. Black Cat appearance. Vision & Scarlet Witch cameo.
Universal 1,056 9.19     209 261 199 131 93 56 44 22 10 10 11 5 3   1         1  

I do wonder if the Scarlett Witch and Vision cameo has also contributed a tiny bit?  Also due to the black cover it's condition sensitive. Census pop in 9.8 is very "low" when compared to ASM252 (or ASM194 :shiftyeyes:)

I think the low census is probably because it has only became worth grading in the last few years.  Those Spectacular Spider-Mans are pretty sparse on the census because no one will pay to slab them.

Not sure what you mean here by a low census count because this chart that I am looking at indicates over 200 copies already in CGC 9.8 highest grade, with another 261 copies knocking right on it doorstep just waiting to have its potential maximized in order to enter the highest graded club.  (shrug)

Then again, it is super high when compared to the thousands of copies of Spidey 252 in uber HG's becasue that one was definitely hoarded by collectors when it first came out.  I remember speaking to a comic book broker who had started out as a coin dealer and he told me that he had acquire 50 copies of the book in absolute mint condtion when it first came out because coin collectors used to collect coins in rolls of 50.  I found it rather funny because he sure sounded totally peeved off as the book went absolutely nowhere valuation wise due to the absolute huge number of copies in grade that were always available for the longest while back then. :bigsmile:

I believe that was probably the first and last time that he had ever speculated on a new book just hitting the shelves of the LCS and decided it was much wiser to go back to his GA books instead.  (thumbsu

On 1/6/2022 at 10:10 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure what you mean here by a low census count because this chart that I am looking at indicates over 200 copies already in CGC 9.8 highest grade, with another 261 copies knocking right on it doorstep just waiting to have its potential maximized in order to enter the highest graded club.  (shrug)

Then again, it is super high when compared to the thousands of copies of Spidey 252 in uber HG's becasue that one was definitely hoarded by collectors when it first came out.  I remember speaking to a comic book broker who had started out as a coin dealer and he told me that he had acquire 50 copies of the book in absolute mint condtion when it first came out because coin collectors used to collect coins in rolls of 50.  I found it rather funny because he sure sounded totally peeved off as the book went absolutely nowhere valuation wise due to the absolute huge number of copies in grade that were always available for the longest while back then. :bigsmile:

I believe that was probably the first and last time that he had ever speculated on a new book just hitting the shelves of the LCS and decided it was much wiser to go back to his GA books instead.  (thumbsu

It was “low” compared to ASM 194, which has 416 in 9.8 and 983 in 9.6.

My point was that there are probably more raw 9.8s of PPSS 90 out there compared to ASM 194 because it hasn’t been worth submitting the 90 for all that long compared to the 194.

I remember ASM 252 being worth $4-5 basically right from the start, which given that it was a 60 cent cover price book seems like a pretty good return for speculators. I was in a small market though, so it may have just been expensive in my town.

Edited by Hamlet

On 1/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, Hamlet said:

My point was that there are probably more raw 9.8s of PPSS 90 out there compared to ASM 194 because it hasn’t been worth submitting the 90 for all that long compared to the 194.

Totally agree with you here as it reminds me of the CGC 9.8 graded copy of Eternals 13 that sold for something like north of $4K when there was only a handful in that highest grade.  :whatthe:

Fast forward a couple years later to today and now that book in the same CGC 9.8 copy of Eternals 13 can barely fetch $100 with something like almost 50 copies now in that top CGC 9.8 grade.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

On 1/7/2022 at 1:58 AM, lou_fine said:

Totally agree with you here as it reminds me of the CGC 9.8 graded copy of Eternals 13 that sold for something like north of $4K when there was only a handful in that highest grade.  :whatthe:

Fast forward a couple years later to today and now that book in the same CGC 9.8 copy of Eternals 13 can barely fetch $100 with something like almost 50 copies now in that top CGC 9.8 grade.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

Wonder if those who purchased in 4K range still think a wise expenditure?   :roflmao:

On 1/6/2022 at 10:02 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

I guess Black Cat is important enough to have 7 pages debating if she's important, so there's that.

JSC decidedly made Black Cat into a quasi sex symbol over the last decade or so.  

She simultaneously has been a prominent part of the ASM story line the last several years.  

The rise in value has been commensurate with that, with "movie spec" being a secondary contributing factor.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 1/7/2022 at 12:52 PM, Jaydogrules said:

JSC decidedly made Black Cat into a quasi sex symbol over the last decade or so.  

She simultaneously has been a pronijent part of the ASM story line the last several years.  

The rise in value has been commensurate with that, with "movie spec" being a secondary contributing factor.   

-J.

This, in addition to increased interest/collectibility over the past decade of female characters and their 1st appearances!

On 1/7/2022 at 6:21 AM, MAR1979 said:

Wonder if those who purchased in 4K range still think a wise expenditure?   :roflmao:

Don't think it was very many at all, as I believe it was just one huge outlier of a sale that some other boardie had highlighted here for us. :whatthe:

Maybe the purchaser thought they were bidding on a copy of Eternals 1, and not Eternals 13 with the introduction and first appearance of Gilgamesh, whoever the f*** that is.  doh!  lol

I am quite sure the CCG ownership must have loved it as there must have been a ton of Eternals 13 submitted after that hoping for the eternal and magical 9.8 grade to come back to them, as they are the ones who probably made the biggest bank going forward after that outlier of a sale.  :takeit:  :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/7/2022 at 3:33 PM, lou_fine said:

Gilgamesh, whoever the f*** that is. 

There's a reason for his nickname. :whistle:

I know you won't get that, but I'm sure others are laughing reading this.

On 1/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 1/7/2022 at 1:33 PM, lou_fine said:

Gilgamesh, whoever the f*** that is. 

There's a reason for his nickname. :whistle:

I know you won't get that, but I'm sure others are laughing reading this.

Are you referring to The Forgotten One who all of us here had forgotten about a long long time ago.  lol

On 1/6/2022 at 1:55 PM, Randall Dowling said:

@Hamlet and I have spoken several times about this and you're completely correct.  A very large number of books arrived on the stands without tatooz and then were demonized for not having them.  I know this because I had many friends that purchased copies and were super careful and worried about the insert when they purchased off the stands only to discover later that there were never tattoos in there to begin with.

I bought my ASM #238 in a brand-new, sealed three-pack (Marvel Multi-Mags, three comics for $1.69) from our local supermarket when it came out.  My copy didn't have the insert or the tattooz.  I've seen another copy also missing the insert, though it wasn't a copy I bought off the rack.  

On 1/7/2022 at 8:14 PM, Jaydogrules said:

If you don't think Campbell had anything to do with the recent and renewed interest in his sexier version of the character, you are simply delusional.  

Carry on.  (thumbsu

-J.

(pump, pump, pump)

That balloon is looking pretty full.  Careful...  (tsk)