• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC/CCG to be sold...
8 8

459 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Next up, a small piece of environmentally sensitive paper that changes color over time in the label section of the slabs. If it’s X color all is “good”, if it’s Y color it’s time for a reslab to upgrade the microchamber paper. The composition of this mysterious material will be proprietary, but after 5-10yrs if you want top dollar, you better not have a skunk slab (coining the term now)!

That's too "good" of an idea.

There is still time to delete your post. 

Edited by october

3 hours ago, Timely said:

Is cgc raising their prices in the middle of a pandemic attributed to the state of the market, or the state of the Blackwell buy out?

It’s a nice way to juice forecasted revenue numbers when shopping your company to prospective buyers. It’s a fairly common pre-acquisition move if you have the market demand to support it.

4 hours ago, Mephisto said:

They can start with the card grading. That has been so poorly run you can just see the money that is being left on the table there.

Lots of posts for the CGC card grading section. “Do you grade unopened Pokémon packs? I’d love to get them in a CGC case and not graded by another company.”  Answer every time “Sorry we don’t grade those”. Meanwhile the competitor does.

Same thing with “do you grade Star Wars or Marvel cards?”.  
Answer: “Sorry we don’t do that and CSG only grades sports cards”.

All Blackstone has to do is have an intern scroll trough these boards and they can see where money is not being adequately captured. They also might even  decide its not worth having CGC grade only TCG and CSG 
grade sports cards and stream line then into one. CGC a has a name recognition but what is the point of they only grade TCG Pokémon and Magic at this point and soon to be Yu-Gi-Oh.

R&D may also be an area they target to roll out the ability to grade different cards. The number of posts about not being able to grade certain cards due to size (we aren’t talking crazy jumbo or super small cards) is ridiculous and it’s been seen for both CGC and CSG cards.

Then of course computer system and data updates could be tackled as that’s really other alleged reason for not offering more TCG cards being available for grading.

This could of course could lead to some not to knowledgeable experts. I know sometimes TATs in the CGC card section are blamed on needing to research the card. Here is where things could just get pushed out the door a little sloppily...HOWEVER, will collectors really care when you have cards graded by competitors like PSA sitting in cases with certified auto’s that are clearly forgeries because well...the person spelled their own name wrong? Not to mention all the proven trimmed cards sitting in PSA cases yet graded sports card mania marches on.

Agreed.  My guess is this acquisition has WAY more to do with cards than comics.  

1 hour ago, cd4ever said:

Agreed.  My guess is this acquisition has WAY more to do with cards than comics.  

Say Hello to Lorreta SwiFt and JacYLn Smith...Blackstone can certainly push out more card grading product even if quality isn’t top notch because the number one competition in the space isn’t even all that reliable...

DD5228C7-3512-40EA-AF0B-2036B54F67AB.jpeg

19AF63D6-943D-4691-8E6D-124FD874D030.jpeg

I see CCG exploring options into toy grading and sports memorabilia grading.  

Also, if that happens then I double down on what I have said about the signature series program being heavily revised. 

I also see them adopting a Steiner Sports model where they will eventually sell their own slabs or host auctions for certain graded books, authenticate unwitnessed signatures with 'experts' like many other venues do. 

Edited by Buzzetta