• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

704 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Indeed. After watching the Jim Halperin video in Comics General, if he's the owner I'd go so far to say the book will hammer at 25Mil

The owner is Colorado Comics. I assure you Scott's not trying to bid on his own book lol

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 8/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

The owner is Colorado Comics. I assure you Scott's not trying to bid on his own book lol

Ok, but that still wouldn't stop HA from shillbiddingitup/followingthroughwiththeirfineprint to maximize their own cut. 

On 8/26/2021 at 3:57 PM, jcjames said:

Ok, but that still wouldn't stop HA from shillbiddingitup/followingthroughwiththeirfineprint to maximize their own cut. 

Well I mean if there's proof then sure. I mean Ebay caught that big sports card dealer, but I don't think Heritage is doing a check's and balance on themselves haha. Anyway, I try not to get too involved into the conspiracy theory stuff, although obviously it does happen.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:58 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

i predicted 15 years ago SPidey is going to be as an important pop culture icon as Superman and Batman

$ 4 million minimum hammer price, but could well be higher

did eric roberts sell his 9.6 copy for 1 million 2016? or around then?

I think he sold it around 2011

On 8/26/2021 at 6:31 PM, Mmehdy said:

no way it breaks 3 M...2.96 mu guess

unlike the folks predicting 5 mil or 7 mil or 10mil, the only way to "predict" what a book will sell for , is to have some information or some historical fundamentals to support such a prediction...like, who are potential buyers, what are they willing to spend, etc, etc...

speculating some multimillionaire that never thought about comics before today is going to suddenly discover this book and bid 7 mil, is probably unlikely, but I guess anything can happen...

so Mitch, I have heard and talked to a couple of perspective buyers that like this book a little above 3 million, so I will say you are probably close, but I believe it will break 3 million if we are to believe what a couple of very real potential bidders stated they like the book at...but what do I know...

@G.A.tor do the perspective buyers with that level of available funds discount the book because it's Silver Age and significantly more common (in all grades) than Action #1 and DC #27, or do they look at the census for all three and consider "Top 5 known" without really caring about the ages?

I've always been fascinated by the differences between age, condition, and price. 

It seems like it would have to be like thinking about those charts we saw in grade school, where you try to understand Price/Phase based on the balance of age/temperature and condition/pressure:

Phase diagram - Labster Theory

:ohnoez:

On 8/27/2021 at 11:23 AM, G.A.tor said:

unlike the folks predicting 5 mil or 7 mil or 10mil, the only way to "predict" what a book will sell for , is to have some information or some historical fundamentals to support such a prediction...like, who are potential buyers, what are they willing to spend, etc, etc...

speculating some multimillionaire that never thought about comics before today is going to suddenly discover this book and bid 7 mil, is probably unlikely, but I guess anything can happen...

so Mitch, I have heard and talked to a couple of perspective buyers that like this book a little above 3 million, so I will say you are probably close, but I believe it will break 3 million if we are to believe what a couple of very real potential bidders stated they like the book at...but what do I know...

Such a good point. I was wondering about this just the other day ... people insinuate that the high hammers on Promise Books are due to market manipulation, but I have yet to see ANY names of who these actual buyers are. I have seen a few wins from people I know, but those were few and hard fought victories. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/27/2021 at 11:11 AM, G.A.tor said:

One of these potential guys is relatively new to the comic market. He’s bought a lot of silver age keys and is from the crypto side. He views it as an investment to park a chunk of Profit from crypto sales (he gave me permission to post this) 

when I told him he probably could have bought this book with a 2 mil offer last year, he astutely reminded me “this is not last year”. I just wanted him to have some perspective. 

Thank you, that is very helpful.

I'm essentially a speculator in all markets, since my activities make no statistical significance, but I can understand the thought process that "this is not last year".  In particular for the crypto side, a $10,000 investment in dogecoin, which would have been highly speculative but not a financial burden for many investors just one year ago (August 2020) would be worth $790,000 this year (today).

To "park a chunk of profit" in this example, such as this $790,000, would be based upon an initial investment last year of $10,000. 

The "cost to me" would still be $10,000 (plus one year of time) for a $790,000 asset (some hypothetical comic) today.

That $790,000 could not have been spent last year even if the price of the hypothetical comic was $400,000 at that time, so I wouldn't feel any sadness that I didn't buy it at $400,000. 

I would have only had $10,000 in this bucket at this point last year.  "This is not last year" makes perfect sense.

Edited by valiantman