• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welcome CGC to the world of pulps" CGC will be grading them.
10 10

203 posts in this topic

I chuckled at the "we're always looking to get into new markets" or whatever the equivalent line in the video.  :banana:

And also at the symbiotic relationship between grading companies and auction houses.  :banana:  :banana:

Edited by Darwination

On 11/14/2023 at 10:05 AM, Darwination said:

I chuckled at the "we're always looking to get into new markets" or whatever the equivalent line in the video.  :banana:

And also at the symbiotic relationship between grading companies and auction houses.  :banana:  :banana:

I've watched some videos that cover Wata Games (video game grading company) and their relationship with Heritage, and it just looks downright criminal.

On 11/15/2023 at 12:57 AM, Aman619 said:

I missed something... what's the connection between Heritage and pulp grading?

I didn't mean there was any nefarious connection... but the two companies serve each others' interests (i.e., symbiotic).  It is unlikely CGC would have the position it has today with comic book auctions were it not for CGC grading.  Were it not for the constant publicity said auctions and many record-setting prices bring, would CGC be getting anywhere near the business it does, especially with large and significant collections?  Each company has improved business because of the other, which is to be expected.  It is Heritage interviewing CGC in the above video, afterall.  

On 11/13/2023 at 6:19 PM, Darwination said:

Bedsheets fit in the mag boxes? Surprising.

The mag box length is 13 3/4" long. With a narrow label it handles the bedsheet.  Although 1" box is too deep, at least for this book.  I'll be reholdering to get into one of the new tweener slabs.

ScienceFictionPlus06(3).thumb.jpg.8134043e3d34c200d0dfabf262159746.jpg

On 11/15/2023 at 12:57 PM, Bookery said:

It can be difficult to flip through pages, and tanning and browning would make many unpleasant for me to try and read.  

This.  The only thing that I took a real double (triple) take on was the emphatic "we're counting pages".  Cumbersome for sure - but dangerous to the product too.  Holding onto that right fragile cover edge as you grab the next tannish page by its edge, and that's if it's a trimmed in production product.  What if that right edge has overhang - and it mostly will.  So the precheck newbie, there to count pages, is pressing down on that overhang while securing each new counted page to that mass under his thumb -  and then repeat hundreds of times looking for what?  a missing page? a cut coupon?  why bother - IT'S SLABBED.  Buyers aren't looking to crack them and read them, for goodness sake. Matt acknowledged that, as well he had to - it's all about the cover cover cover.

For a well thought out process, this seems way wrong.

Edited by Dr. Love

On 11/15/2023 at 7:28 PM, Darwination said:

On the other hand, say you are a E.R.B. fan and expect to find that full story in this super-pricey book you've just purchased if you do happen to crack it.  You'd be pretty upset if the first page of the story (or whole story) was clipped when that's a key part of the value of the book.

I agree that pages must be counted (as problematic as that is).  Some notable / valuable pulps with landmark firsts have very unimpressive covers, or the covers are unrelated to the important content. i.e REH's first Conan in WT has a nice St. John cover that has nothing to do with Conan, PKD's first published work in Planet Stories has a decent but generic cover, Lovecraft's first Cthulhu story in WT has an unrelated and unremarkable cover. The story pages are the gold here, not the covers. 

On 11/16/2023 at 5:09 AM, Dr. Love said:

This.  The only thing that I took a real double (triple) take on was the emphatic "we're counting pages".  Cumbersome for sure - but dangerous to the product too.  Holding onto that right fragile cover edge as you grab the next tannish page by its edge, and that's if it's a trimmed in production product.  What if that right edge has overhang - and it mostly will.  So the precheck newbie, there to count pages, is pressing down on that overhang while securing each new counted page to that mass under his thumb -  and then repeat hundreds of times looking for what?  a missing page? a cut coupon?  why bother - IT'S SLABBED.  Buyers aren't looking to crack them and read them, for goodness sake. Matt acknowledged that, as well he had to - it's all about the cover cover cover.

For a well thought out process, this seems way wrong.

I would expect a grading service, at a bare minimum, to confirm that the book being graded is complete and to note if it's not.  I can't think of anything less controversial. (shrug)

On 11/16/2023 at 1:16 AM, Dr. Love said:

the First Law of Pulps -  thou shall not disturb the overhang in any way

:preach:

I don't mind putting raw pulps out on a table to flip through, but I find overhangs to be so important that I usually trim them off the pulps and place them in mylar bags to be preserved for future generations.

I bumped into a local dealer at a recent show with a whole box of very trimmed pulps. Not just the overhang. They were some what aggressively priced.

I mentioned it and he stated that pulps were different than comics because of their rarity. (shrug)

Most were average common sci fi issues. But I did actually buy a couple because they were tougher and he came down to reality.

Seem to be a lot of comic folks who are smelling blood in the water in a medium they have no experience in. 

On 11/15/2023 at 3:57 PM, Bookery said:

But I also find them a pain to deal with, in that they tend to leave piles of debris about as I bag and grade them.  It can be difficult to flip through pages, and tanning and browning would make many unpleasant for me to try and read.

It's funny you mention this, I discovered years ago I have a paper dust allergy, so when processing pulps I made mask wearing fashionable long before covid. (:

On 11/17/2023 at 6:57 AM, GACollectibles said:

It's funny you mention this, I discovered years ago I have a paper dust allergy, so when processing pulps I made mask wearing fashionable long before covid. (:

You wouldn’t have much fun with me. I can’t even remember all the dark, dusty, critter infested attics, basements and old buildings I have been in while searching for old paper. Yeah, a mask and gloves as well as a flashlight is required. :devil: