• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welcome CGC to the world of pulps" CGC will be grading them.
10 10

203 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2023 at 11:38 AM, Bugfarm said:

Is this still happening at the Collectors Summit this weekend?  Wondering if I should bring pulps to submit.

I hear it is happening (thumbsu

On 9/9/2023 at 2:44 AM, AJCohen said:

Houston we are clear for lift off!

https://instagram.com/collectorssummit?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

This should be fun!

IMG_1896.png

From what Matt mentioned to a couple of people on our discord group, they will not be taking submissions for Pulps, but they will certainly have examples of graded ones

On 11/13/2023 at 4:27 PM, waaaghboss said:

Cgc will offer pressing for pulps.  Missing 1 page doesn't drop it to a .5, but could still get a 1.0 or 2.0.  Tape won't count as restore, and bedsheets will be the sane price as other pulps, which will mirror comic pricing (vintage).  Teimming will be notated on the slab, and will affect the grade but not significantly,  especially if it's just one edge.

They have the numbering of all pulps completed and will at some point release it.  He mentions pricing tiers of $400, $1000, and over, I'd be curious how they determine pricing.  The 6.0 all story in their flier will be their first graded pulp.  Numbering will be linear (all story will be 94) followed by another number in parentheses containing the traditional volume notation 

Not really happy that this grading pulps thing is happening, but it is interesting to watch.

Yes, answers a lot of questions many have had here ( overhang, trimming, etc)

I enjoyed it.  My take is that they are going to go easy on a lot of things like glue at the spine (which is acknowledged is supercommon), overhang issues, missing pages, some spine chips, some amounts of trimming.  They've got at least a little similar experience with squarebound comics.  Spine fading a very minor consideration. Tons of grades between 1 and 6, and they don't expect too many super high grade pulps.  Two new box sizes between comics and magazines but more "cradle" sorts of sizes.   Lots of questions answered, but I'm still curious if the pulps will shift.  No mention of paper quality, especially brittleness (that I noticed). 

The numbering? Hate it. Bedsheets fit in the mag boxes? Surprising.

I'm not into these plastic boxes, but I am into more people discovering the wide world of pulp, so we'll see where it all goes.

I like the choice of that All-Story as the first book.  I also enjoyed the mention of pulp scans at the Internet Archive :whistle:

Edited by Darwination

On 11/14/2023 at 5:27 AM, waaaghboss said:

The 6.0 all story in their flier will be their first graded pulp.

Assuming that's the McLaughlin copy, it's basically like kicking off their pulp grading business with the Mile High Action 1 of pulps. 

Not bad. hm

Edited by tth2

On 11/14/2023 at 10:19 AM, Darwination said:

Tons of grades between 1 and 6, and they don't expect too super high grade pulps.

Glad to hear this.  I was worried that they were going to grade on a curve because true NM pulps barely seem to exist, and assign 9.0+ grades to ratty copies.

The numbering system should be interesting.  For the majority of well-known pulps it's possible... but there are still pulps (although more in the girly semi-pulps) for which the total number of issues is uncertain.  

They mention they began seriously considering pulp-grading in 2020, and comment that the splitting off of pulps into their own section on these boards was the beginning step in that direction.  I also wonder, though not mentioned, if a certain other item released in early 2020 and printed by their own symbiotic partner Heritage, had anything to do with helping in that decision? hm

On 11/14/2023 at 10:15 PM, Bookery said:

They mention they began seriously considering pulp-grading in 2020, and comment that the splitting off of pulps into their own section on these boards was the beginning step in that direction.

I know!  I feel so manipulated now! 

On 11/14/2023 at 8:15 AM, Bookery said:

The numbering system should be interesting.  For the majority of well-known pulps it's possible... but there are still pulps (although more in the girly semi-pulps) for which the total number of issues is uncertain.  

For real, re: the uncertainty of numbering in some pulp series.  I'm an avid indexer of the girlie pulps, and we've actually made a ton of progress in most of those titles in filling out the record (at least gathering a cover image and contents, the full record means a full scan, girlies were not collected and microfilmed by the Library of Congress who have since discarded their paper collection save covers).  That said, I still run into issues I've never seen all the time and all sorts of funkiness in terms of record keeping (multiple issues using the same volume/number or date, unpredictable gaps in publishing, errors in indicia, etc. GA indexers have an inkling of what that's about). 

If you go back into the teens and twenties at Galactic Central, you'll find titles with all sorts of holes in the index even though the circulation was high at the time. Snappy Stories from New Fiction? It was a romance title with high circulation, but the record is like Swiss cheese. There are magazines of substantial historic value (say, Brief Stories where you can find early Dash Hammett) where we have a good contents record but haven't seen much cover art.  No one has shared cover images for over half the issues.  Word is there are a few collectors with long runs.  I've never laid hands on a single issue.  All this to say - establishing a solid numbering scheme for some titles is foolhardy.

Edited by Darwination