• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it just me or are the boards a hot mess of 500 Errors?
5 5

267 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2021 at 10:34 PM, Arkham said:

It feels like it’s a load issue. 

It's a load alright. Of what, I'd rather not say. 

The CGC Boards are currently the plastic milk crate challenge of the internet. 

For those of you unaware of the "2021 Version of the Tide Laundry Pod Challenge of Stupidity" here is a compilation along with the police even attempting this. 

Edited by Buzzetta

It's just after midday in the UK and I managed to post one thing before I got this:

1505131817_10_09_2112_28.thumb.PNG.e9adeffb7cfda35de48825fc2900f5e0.PNG

Looks like others are having the same problem:

794536418_10_09_2112_28b.thumb.PNG.ecd85e4afdb5f4147e1d3ef422509472.PNG

And we know that it will all start up again later.

This has gone on long enough now, for me. There are no CGC staff that we can talk with about this, or who will give us an update. I don't see the point of speculating all the time as to what is going on if those that own and maintain the site cannot bring themselves to show their faces. A vague behind the scenes "We're looking into it" is not enough for me. The site is unstable and unusable for too many periods each day - alas, the times that I in the UK would like to be posting - and you just can't trust it to be working. 

I know that our volunteer mods are doing all that they can to get some action - well done them - but there is clearly no resolution in sight.

So I'm 'giving up' and won't be logging on anymore until the issue is fixed. I've got plenty of other comic stuff to be getting on with and can do without a daily battle with a website that is supposed to be fun. 

If the problem gets resolved, and someone wants to send me a PM, please do. I get externals notifications for those, so will see it.

In the meantime, have fun everyone. 

Steve

On 9/10/2021 at 7:44 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's just after midday in the UK and I managed to post one thing before I got this:

1505131817_10_09_2112_28.thumb.PNG.e9adeffb7cfda35de48825fc2900f5e0.PNG

Looks like others are having the same problem:

794536418_10_09_2112_28b.thumb.PNG.ecd85e4afdb5f4147e1d3ef422509472.PNG

And we know that it will all start up again later.

This has gone on long enough now, for me. There are no CGC staff that we can talk with about this, or who will give us an update. I don't see the point of speculating all the time as to what is going on if those that own and maintain the site cannot bring themselves to show their faces. A vague behind the scenes "We're looking into it" is not enough for me. The site is unstable and unusable for too many periods each day - alas, the times that I in the UK would like to be posting - and you just can't trust it to be working. 

I know that our volunteer mods are doing all that they can to get some action - well done them - but there is clearly no resolution in sight.

So I'm 'giving up' and won't be logging on anymore. I've got plenty of other comic stuff to be getting on with. 

If the problem gets resolved, and someone wants to send me a PM, please do.

In the meantime, have fun everyone. 

Steve

Ugh. Maybe this is their plan all along...

On 9/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, Wolverinex said:

Ugh. Maybe this is their plan all along...

That's an entirely reasonable thing to say, under the circumstances, and one which they could easily discount with one God damn two minute post. 

Send me a PM Wolvie, if the thought ever occurs to them (thumbsu

I completely understand Marwood’s decision.  I’m spending more time away from the threads because I’m disgusted in the apparent lack of competence and customer service.  Hell, the comic book industry isn't the same anymore either, so why should the boards be any different.  As long as money is made by the powers-that-be…(shrug)

I spent a few hours yesterday relisting stuff in my thread when I started noticing problems.  I walked away for awhile.  Last night…forget it.  500 errors must have run off and on for a few hours at least.  I don’t sit and refresh my browser to get back in…I walk away.  Unacceptable…:makepoint:

CGC already lost my business when prices went up, and because of all the couch-collectors & speculators.  Walking away from the forums is getting easier as well. :tonofbricks:

Here's a tip:clip'n' save every 500 error. Then, once a week, take the family through a McDonald's Restaurant Family Drive-Thru, and get that special little one in your life 20% off a small Sundae. 

McDonald's - Everybody loves our crisis negotiations, and our small Sundaes. Available now. 

On 9/8/2021 at 2:57 PM, universal soldier said:

I guess it depends on the set-up but if this site is managed by the host (i.e. no internal technical staff that runs the forum) then they are at the mercy of the vendor to fix the issue. Depending on the level of service with the hosting service, the issue may be something that is low on the totem pole. If they have internal staff responsible for this, then they are either overworked, lazy or overpaid :eek:.

Technically speaking a quick google search (like any good DEV would do) of the error (php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known) leads me to believe that the issue is perhaps a misconfiguration on one of the servers. More often than not, these forum instances are hosted on a load balanced set-up and perhaps a recent change in DNS change was missed and the database server name cannot be found. It would make sense that the error is not all the time and as the number of users increases the load shifts from server to server.

They should possibly check similar settings found in the /etc/phpmyadmin/config-db.php to see if a change might resolve this (see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34266567/getting-connection-failed-php-network-getaddresses-getaddrinfo-failed-name-or/34304508)

They should either escalate this to the vendor or, as many have suggested, have someone look at the logs to debug the issue. Third option is to outsource this to me and pay me in comics :banana:

I got that error too... and this seems to be the most common issue: server misconfiguration or local DNS issues. (localhost). Possibly exacerbated by load issues I guess or memory issues if the time of day and the site going down is a pattern. We've had issues with growing/runaway database tables as well that frequently took down sites. Adding new grading categories like cards, etc. must be adding new strain on their Board software/system.

Edited by sckao