• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is nothing sexier than a hot hot model
4 4

373 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2022 at 1:39 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Speaking of building, I just finished my Polar Lights Creature from the Black Lagoon. This is an all-original new sculpt kit they made in 2012, inspired by the Aurora kits but not a reissue.

Creature 4.jpg

Creature 2.jpg

Creature 5.jpg

Creature 17.jpg

Creature 20.jpg

Sweet! My favorite monster. And what a wonderful paint job!

On 7/28/2022 at 8:41 PM, Robot Man said:

alfredeneumanmodelkit.jpg

Below are the English language signs that came with the Canadian version of this kit.  It's interesting to note the difference in configuration compared to the US signs.  

The Canadian version came with French language signs as well, BUT none of those sayings bore any resemblance to the English ones.  I used to have a photo of the French signs but it somehow disappeared.  If anyone has them please post.  I do remember one French language sign translated to English said "No money. No worries".

image.thumb.png.c4d96abf7e7a96d3cdc1ae5a225294b0.png

Edited by pemart1966

On 8/13/2022 at 5:21 PM, batman_fan said:

Moved the books out of the bottom shelf of the cabinet to make some room to get more kit together.

cabinet1.jpg

Nice display!  

I would be extremely careful about storing your kits upright like this.  Loose parts and sprues with parts on them could easily fall to the bottom (the box "end" the way that you have them shown) and cause the box to bulge over time.  I would store them all flat and NOT stacked one on top of the other 2c

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/12/2023 at 4:37 AM, Larryw7 said:

I love both the Wolf man and Mummy kits. I have built up versions of them in my comic/movie room. I love watching them glow in the dark when I dim the lights.

lol Re-living your childhood.  I have flipped back and forth on buying reissues and building them up .

On 1/12/2023 at 7:45 AM, batman_fan said:

lol Re-living your childhood.  I have flipped back and forth on buying reissues and building them up .

The problem with reissues is that they're not Auroras.  They're facsimiles.  They may look like Auroras but they're not.  

On 1/12/2023 at 10:22 AM, pemart1966 said:

The problem with reissues is that they're not Auroras.  They're facsimiles.  They may look like Auroras but they're not.  

Do you know if the molds hold up to the original kits details.  Another option is to buy already built Auroras and then refurbish and paint.  My issue is too much space on shelves.  I had all of the monster kits built and on my shelf as a kid minus the King Kong and the Witch.

On 1/12/2023 at 1:31 PM, batman_fan said:

Do you know if the molds hold up to the original kits details.  Another option is to buy already built Auroras and then refurbish and paint.  My issue is too much space on shelves.  I had all of the monster kits built and on my shelf as a kid minus the King Kong and the Witch.

An excellent option.  I also look for kits in bad boxes.  Even those with partial assembly and some paint are fine as restoration candidates.  I just make sure that the glueing is neat but even a bit of glue over run is OK in some cases.  Another thing I do is look for kits in bad/worn boxes - they go for far less than mint sealed ones of course.

I use a product called Scalecoat to remove the paint.

I can't speak to detail comparisons - vintage vs reproductions as I only have original Auroras.  One must keep in mind that not all of these reissues are not made using the original mold - they've been created using reverse engineering.  Even if a reissue uses the original mold, the "Aurora" details on the appear on the original base have long since obliterated.

You self space situation is near unique - most of us have too little space on our shelves. lol

Edited by pemart1966

The majority of the reissues have been made from the original Aurora molds. Two that haven't been are The Witch and Dr. Jekyll, there's others, those are two off the top of my head. I've yet to buy or build a reissue and think it was inferior to any of my originals. There's a world or pro builders who make amazing kits with reissues.

On 1/12/2023 at 7:13 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

The majority of the reissues have been made from the original Aurora molds. Two that haven't been are The Witch and Dr. Jekyll, there's others, those are two off the top of my head. I've yet to buy or build a reissue and think it was inferior to any of my originals. There's a world or pro builders who make amazing kits with reissues.

The 6 monsters on hot rods; Munsters Living Room; Addam's Family House; the Bride of Frankenstein; the two customizing kits; Gigantic Frankenstein; and La Guillotine come to mind as those not made using original molds.  I might be missing a few...

On 1/12/2023 at 7:45 AM, batman_fan said:

The kits I have are original, but I had someone else build.them. I have an original 1965 Batman kit built up professionally, and it's a thing of beauty.