• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Lurkers! Yes you! Why don’t you post more?
15 15

972 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, VintageComics said:

What if you take the URL from the grading forum and use that in the search bar along with key words?

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

:gossip:

I think that the key is using as much relevant into as possible so the URL for every separate forum would focus on that specific forum whereas the boards URL is a very general search.

Anyway, just a thought.

@Randall Dowling 

yes it did work with bing.com

image.thumb.png.9455f1c9f1e20d03608e6039fc9a885b.png

Of course I searched #13 issue

and THEN IT BROUGHT OF ISSUE #8 lol:roflmao: idk I had bother in there

#13 already came back 2.5

image.thumb.png.f667786a5f22499b5de1875d8273e0fd.png

I find this fascinating as to why CGC would block Google results to the boards. It really makes no sense as to why they want this to happen (shrug). Are they concerned about outbound links to eBay or other venues that are considered competition? One would think they would want to drive as much traffic to the boards as possible to promote the brand and products.

Bing does not return too many more results, just different links. 

Searching @ADAMANTIUMfavorite topic "boards.cgccomics.com fan expo dallas" returns a few results but the first has no description. 

2021-10-29_14-10-05.thumb.jpg.aa9d33ec1a6976be330feed8f151b229.jpg

Clicking on learn why brings you to this page where you can see that the boards are intentionally blocked from being indexed in the robots.txt file. 

2021-10-29_14-10-41.thumb.jpg.f845701f36c9e0b2108cf61b301f14a7.jpg

https://www.cgccomics.com/robots.txt has at least /boards/* blocked but I wonder if we will start to see more results after google crawls the site after the change to a subdomain. 

User-agent: AhrefsBot
Disallow: /

user-agent: *
disallow: /boards/*

On 10/29/2021 at 1:31 PM, universal soldier said:

I find this fascinating as to why CGC would block Google results to the boards. It really makes no sense as to why they want this to happen (shrug). Are they concerned about outbound links to eBay or other venues that are considered competition? One would think they would want to drive as much traffic to the boards as possible to promote the brand and products.

Searching @ADAMANTIUMfavorite topic "boards.cgccomics.com fan expo dallas" returns a few results but the first has no description. 

Clicking on learn why brings you to this page where you can see that the boards are intentionally blocked from being indexed in the robots.txt file. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/robots.txt has at least /boards/* blocked but I wonder if we will start to see more results after google crawls the site after the change to a subdomain. 

Yes, and bing worked fine, especially for the "fan expo dallas pics con 2021" for my con threads.... :tink: 

I had assumed it was because I had them "bookmarked" or some such. idk. lol I'm not very literate when it comes to technology. Still at least the bookmarks work now (thumbsu 

On 10/29/2021 at 2:31 PM, universal soldier said:

:signofftopic: am I supposed to button hump myself now? :insane:

so yeah, lurkers....feel free to start some threads. Just put something out there you like to talk about and if it goes nowhere, as most of mine do (3 pages might be the longest non sales thread thread I have started and no one wanted to talk about the 5th ocean!), no big deal. Don't take it personally. But maybe you get some new thoughts on something you enjoy.

and you 2, you don't have to go home but you gotta take it somewhere else! :sumo:

Edited by Bird

On 10/29/2021 at 12:24 PM, VintageComics said:

So ttfitz's statistics are like a news article with poor journalism creating a misinformation narrative. They don't tell the whole story. :insane:

I didn't think it needed to be said, but it never was intended to tell the whole story.

But I think it does indicate the direction this thread has taken. See my previous response to CAHokie.

On 10/29/2021 at 2:19 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If I was a lurker or a new member, I sure as hell wouldn't.

I've been seeing @Joe Peckposting on the forum recently and what's happening to him is effing disgusting.  He appears to be a collector that's been out of the hobby for several decades and pulled an old box of comics out of storage and decided to get back into collecting.  He seems to be very excited about the idea of collecting comics again and has been posting scans of his old books as well as the new books he's been purchasing.  

It appears that he bought a couple of raw Dazzler #1 books and, in my opinion, he mixed up which seller sold him which copy.  He then posted about one of these purchases in this thread and now the pit bulls have been unleashed.  My explanation of what I think happened was posted a little later in the thread......but I don't think it's going to matter.  Joe Peck is no longer posting in that thread and I don't blame him.  He's also been logging onto the forum but hasn't posted for the last 15 hours and I wouldn't blame him if he told the form to go **** itself and left.

So......why don't lurkers post more?

I can't believe we're even asking that question.

^^

It isn’t rocket science.

It’s great watching the hypocrisy and lack of self awareness though. The “well, but’s” are great too.

On 10/29/2021 at 4:23 PM, Scoff said:

I also think Joe has overreacted by calling people Debbie Downers when he was responded to with nice, fair, and honest replies. He seems to have thin skin.

Are you talking about this post

Because I don't see it that way at all. 

He appears to just be playing along with the other forum members......and enough members even liked the post to flag it as a "popular post".  

There is absolutely nothing wrong with his posts.  He's a new member that appears to be excited about getting back into the hobby.  

Oh, I hate when people pile on someone for not knowing something or asking a question. I started the Board Origin Story years ago to learn about people. Unless someone is scamming, being a weasel, or doing dishonesty, then I say pile on.

Great, now you made me post in here again which messes up the average!

On 10/29/2021 at 3:09 PM, ttfitz said:

Guy gets back into the hobby, gets excited about a nice book he finds in his old collection, and gets roasted when he thinks it might grade at 9.0+ with a clean and press. Now I get wanting to keep the guy from being disappointed when it doesn't come back that high, and some folks were pretty good about that, but others were kinda brutal, IMO. This guy is in his 50s and can clearly take it, but can you read that thread and seriously tell me the boards seem like a friendly place?

Hang on there.  I just read that thread, thanks for the link.  The vast majority of the comments attempt to educate the OP on the grade and costs of grading and the value of the book once it's graded.  The rest are the usual back and forth and joking around but I don't see anything out of line.  Could you post a comment that's brutal?

On 10/29/2021 at 11:31 AM, universal soldier said:

dont click on learn why just click on the link-it works for me even tho it says no information available.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:19 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I've been seeing @Joe Peckposting on the forum recently and what's happening to him is effing disgusting.  He appears to be a collector that's been out of the hobby for several decades and pulled an old box of comics out of storage and decided to get back into collecting.  He seems to be very excited about the idea of collecting comics again and has been posting scans of his old books as well as the new books he's been purchasing.  

It appears that he bought a couple of raw Dazzler #1 books and, in my opinion, he mixed up which seller sold him which copy.  He then posted about one of these purchases in this thread and now the pit bulls have been unleashed.  My explanation of what I think happened was posted a little later in the thread......but I don't think it's going to matter.  Joe Peck is no longer posting in that thread and I don't blame him.  He's also been logging onto the forum but hasn't posted for the last 15 hours and I wouldn't blame him if he told the form to go **** itself and left.

You realize he accused a seller, robojo ironically, of being dishonest and when his accusations were apparently shown to be dishonest or incorrect he went silent.  Shouldn't he reply in that thread to admit he made a mistake or to clear up the issue?  None of us would appreciate someone posting lies about us.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:38 PM, CAHokie said:

Oh, I hate when people pile on someone for not knowing something or asking a question. I started the Board Origin Story years ago to learn about people. Unless someone is scamming, being a weasel, or doing dishonesty, then I say pile on.

Great, now you made me post in here again which messes up the average!

On 10/29/2021 at 5:19 PM, Domo Arigato said:

On 10/29/2021 at 5:09 PM, ttfitz said:

If you want a possible reason why people don't join in, take a look at this thread:

Guy gets back into the hobby, gets excited about a nice book he finds in his old collection, and gets roasted when he thinks it might grade at 9.0+ with a clean and press. Now I get wanting to keep the guy from being disappointed when it doesn't come back that high, and some folks were pretty good about that, but others were kinda brutal, IMO. This guy is in his 50s and can clearly take it, but can you read that thread and seriously tell me the boards seem like a friendly place?

Any posts I make in this thread were to try to point out the any negative vibes towards members, longstanding or not. .

The OP asked why lurkers don't post here. They don't post here for the same reason that a variety of veterans have told me personally why they don't post publicly anymore: It's the negativity.

Nobody wants to wade into a pool that's full of floating turds that you need to avoid or worse, have to pick it up to move it out of the way. :sick:

I'd just go to another pool.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:54 PM, thehumantorch said:

Shouldn't he reply in that thread to admit he made a mistake or to clear up the issue?  None of us would appreciate someone posting lies about us.

Oh, DON'T get me started! lol

I can point out the thousand times it's been done among seasoned veterans here. :frown:

I'm willing to give noobs some slack until they being understand the culture here before they start being slagged.

Edited by VintageComics