• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Lurkers! Yes you! Why don’t you post more?
15 15

972 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2021 at 9:31 AM, seanfingh said:

Your welcome.

I actually did seek advice from you on a few occasions, among others, when I first arrived.   And yes, you were very helpful. 

On 10/29/2021 at 9:22 AM, Buzzetta said:

Nonsense... feel free to ask because sometimes the answer changes over the years or new information comes to light. 

I appreciate that and will try to engage more often. Unfortunately I have been conditioned to search before asking on other forums (non comic related) so my initial process is to search and not ask. They actually track 'reading time' and refuse to answer anything if you're under a certain threshold of reading time. Yeah, they're a salty bunch.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:33 AM, Buzzetta said:

I actually did seek advice from you on a few occasions, among others, when I first arrived.   And yes, you were very helpful. 

Mazel tov.

Also, I lurked for 2 years before making my first post about Charltons.  This place is very much different than it was when me an my cronies were running amok.  But change is good, and this place would be the best place to get comic information - if it were properly searchable. LOL. As it is, it's as good a place to hang your hat as any, I suppose.  Until Blackrock starts mining my data and posts.  :fear:

On 10/29/2021 at 9:34 AM, JT307 said:

I appreciate that and will try to engage more often. Unfortunately I have been conditioned to search before asking on other forums (non comic related) so my initial process is to search and not ask. They actually track 'reading time' and refuse to answer anything if you're under a certain threshold of reading time. Yeah, they're a salty bunch.

No, forget anything to do with 'searching'

The search function here is a disaster.

What people used to do was put the term, "CGC Boards + (the desired topic) into a google search bar and you would find what you were looking for.  That no longer works as well. 

So unless you actually have a thread saved... no one is going to be able to find it.  So post away. 

On 10/29/2021 at 8:33 AM, Buzzetta said:
On 10/29/2021 at 8:31 AM, seanfingh said:

Your welcome.

@seanfinghwas the first one to respond to my first post on the boards. the post was about advice on how to take proper pictures of comics.

On 10/29/2021 at 10:16 AM, skypinkblu said:

I am looking forward to Dr. X's contest, the Secret Santa and the Raffle, this time of the year always seems like fun. I'd like to see more things like that continued throughout the year. I don't like joining the grading contests because I worry about making some huge error...but I like watching them. 

I'd like to see more community contests, trivia type stuff during the year. 
The VCC starts tonight. I never join expecting to make any money, but I do like the online ...doing something together kind of thing.

I get it about the prices, every other week I think about whether I'm insane to bid in another auction...I get outbid most times, so I only worry every other week. 

One thing I've tried not to mention, but since some others have...I hope some of the "she said" stuff stops.  I really hope to see more females post and stay around here and I just don't see that kind of posting as gender friendly.  I know people are just goofing around...but maybe "he said" for a change would be a change;) or just say it once;) ? I think newer people might not quite get it...I can completely understand that...and I've always thought that new people are the lifeblood of the hobby.

@skypinkblu As usual, you are right!

I will do my part by changing "that's what she says" to one of the following while tagging @kav:

"That's what @greggy says! " or

"That's what @ADAMANTIUMtried to say, but it was a run on sentence and somewhat incoherent!"

On 10/29/2021 at 10:16 AM, skypinkblu said:

I am looking forward to Dr. X's contest, the Secret Santa and the Raffle, this time of the year always seems like fun. I'd like to see more things like that continued throughout the year. I don't like joining the grading contests because I worry about making some huge error...but I like watching them. 

I'd like to see more community contests, trivia type stuff during the year. 
The VCC starts tonight. I never join expecting to make any money, but I do like the online ...doing something together kind of thing.

I get it about the prices, every other week I think about whether I'm insane to bid in another auction...I get outbid most times, so I only worry every other week. 

One thing I've tried not to mention, but since some others have...I hope some of the "she said" stuff stops.  I really hope to see more females post and stay around here and I just don't see that kind of posting as gender friendly.  I know people are just goofing around...but maybe "he said" for a change would be a change;) or just say it once;) ? I think newer people might not quite get it...I can completely understand that...and I've always thought that new people are the lifeblood of the hobby.

@skypinkbluIn all seriousness, this is the best time of year to be on the boards with the Dr X contest  , Secret Santa , & the Raffle (which I always try to get my work schedule so I can do it  live) 

But you should 100 % doing the grading contests! Who cares if you make a mistake?!

Whether it was some gift grades for @thirdgreenham? @Wolverinexhas the tally on those, or just the CGC grader was sniffing glue when he graded  @Point Five's last contest, we all make mistakes!

I was a really terrible grader when I started, now I am a slightly less terrible grader, but it has been educational & a lot of fun to do those contests! 

We need more women in the grading contests too!

On 10/29/2021 at 8:54 AM, CAHokie said:

His conclusion implied that long term members post too much and that is why new ones do not.

Another conclusion could be that people were encouraging lurkers to post more and not to stress it so 33-128 posts were made by lurkers that normally would not have.

Thats what makes statistics great.

Since absolutely NOBODY posts more than I do (yet - Kav and Bosco are ballin' lately, though) I'll reply.

My posts in this thread were myriad, but they were ALL directed at trying to draw lurkers out or protecting lurkers from other people telling them what / when / where / how to post.

So ttfitz's statistics are like a news article with poor journalism creating a misinformation narrative. They don't tell the whole story. :insane:

But I like ttfitz and I took at as just good fun.

For the record, to help ttfitz' statistics, I actually hid a few of my posts after G.G. and I kissed and made up so as not to distract from the thread anymore.

Damn, I just posted again in here. :frustrated:

On 10/29/2021 at 9:32 AM, thunsicker said:

3)  As @Buzzetta says above there is a standing board response that is something along the lines of "That's been discussed before, why didn't you use the search button".  I'm guilty of saying this as well.  Old threads are great for reading, not so good for getting a discussion going.

What I do when a reoccuring question comes up is I say "You may not be aware but we discussed this in detail a few years ago and what we sort of concluded was..." and then explain it.

Or even better, posting a LINK TO THE RELEVANT THREAD gets the job done neatly and efficiently.

Maybe @BlowUpTheMoon needs to be paid as the family archivist? Or some free grading credits for all the effort he does in searching out old threads for people? :wink:

On 10/29/2021 at 10:15 AM, Buzzetta said:

No, forget anything to do with 'searching'

The search function here is a disaster.

What people used to do was put the term, "CGC Boards + (the desired topic) into a google search bar and you would find what you were looking for.  That no longer works as well. 

So unless you actually have a thread saved... no one is going to be able to find it.  So post away. 

Doesn't using boards.cgccomics.com + the topic or key words work well for you?

I thought that's what BUTM told us to do?

On 10/29/2021 at 11:46 AM, VintageComics said:

Doesn't using boards.cgccomics.com + the topic or key words work well for you?

I thought that's what BUTM told us to do?

no, that no longer works (thumbsu

Bing.com worked for a time as an alternative, but due to the new url update, that I've been told no longer works either........ :tink: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/29/2021 at 11:50 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

no, that no longer works (thumbsu

Bing.com worked for a time as an alternative, but due to the new url update, that I've been told no longer works either........ :tink: 

I feel like saying WTTB! :baiting:

I TAKE IT BACK!!

@Randall Dowling BING.COM AGAIN WORKS FOR BOARDS THREAD SEARCHES!!  :headbang:

But don't use cgcomics.com instead now use, boards.cgccomics.com 

Thank you @VintageComics for making me check!! and @kav and @CGC Mike I didn't realize we had to report when we help to get credit around here :sorry::(:tonofbricks:doh!:fear: 

On 10/29/2021 at 1:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

But not the ever needed pgm forum

What if you take the URL from the grading forum and use that in the search bar along with key words?

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

:gossip:

I think that the key is using as much relevant into as possible so the URL for every separate forum would focus on that specific forum whereas the boards URL is a very general search.

Anyway, just a thought.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, VintageComics said:

What if you take the URL from the grading forum and use that in the search bar along with key words?

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

:gossip:

I think that the key is using as much relevant into as possible so the URL for every separate forum would focus on that specific forum whereas the boards URL is a very general search.

Anyway, just a thought.

problem is probably being as close to or specific enough.... true

Simple titles like "pgm amazing spider-man 8" didn't work, tried adding my user name, then the url, and no luck.

Sending that forums books to cgc takes time. I like to update when I get them back but :pullhair:

image.thumb.png.7edb40edfed93cdcddf4d26aeb91cab6.png

On 10/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

problem is probably being as close to or specific enough.... true

Simple titles like "pgm amazing spider-man 8" didn't work, tried adding my user name, then the url, and no luck.

Sending that forums books to cgc takes time. I like to update when I get them back but :pullhair:

image.thumb.png.7edb40edfed93cdcddf4d26aeb91cab6.png

And then I tried it on Google whoops. I'll try bing after while and see if it helps @VintageComics