• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Lurkers! Yes you! Why don’t you post more?
15 15

972 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2021 at 4:54 PM, thehumantorch said:

You realize he accused a seller, robojo ironically, of being dishonest and when his accusations were apparently shown to be dishonest or incorrect he went silent.  Shouldn't he reply in that thread to admit he made a mistake or to clear up the issue?  None of us would appreciate someone posting lies about us.

I think it was a simple mistake, which I explained in my post in that thread.

And I welcome everyone to go in there and read the FULL exchange.  If that's how we show a new member that they were wrong or made a mistake,.....I certainly don't blame him one bit for not coming back to that thread.  If I was a new member that was away from the forum for a while and came back to that fuster cluck......I wouldn't dignify it with a response either.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 10/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, kav said:

dont click on learn why just click on the link-it works for me even tho it says no information available.

Oh yeah, the link is good. My point was more to why all the threads on the boards don't show up on Google. I would love to understand CGC's logic for this as it makes zero sense from a SEO perspective.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:49 PM, Bird said:

so yeah, lurkers....feel free to start some threads. Just put something out there you like to talk about and if it goes nowhere, as most of mine do (3 pages might be the longest non sales thread thread I have started and no one wanted to talk about the 5th ocean!), no big deal. Don't take it personally. But maybe you get some new thoughts on something you enjoy.

Lol, I start some threads that go over like a lead balloon but that doesn't stop me from thinking I'm funnier than I really am. :insane:

On 10/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, thehumantorch said:

Hang on there.  I just read that thread, thanks for the link.  The vast majority of the comments attempt to educate the OP on the grade and costs of grading and the value of the book once it's graded.  The rest are the usual back and forth and joking around but I don't see anything out of line.  Could you post a comment that's brutal?

I agree, most of the responses were helpful in that thread. 

On 10/29/2021 at 6:12 PM, universal soldier said:

Lol, I start some threads that go over like a lead balloon but that doesn't stop me from thinking I'm funnier than I really am. :insane:

no one gets us

maybe we are using the wrong font

On 10/29/2021 at 5:19 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If I was a lurker or a new member, I sure as hell wouldn't.

I stand corrected.

Hey lurkers, go fist yourself!

Friday is my day! 

:insert I-miss-the-hula-hula-girl-gif gif: 

On 10/29/2021 at 4:09 PM, ttfitz said:

It's not that hard to count to 20. (shrug)

A valid point - although I should say I didn't imply that long term members "post too much" but that they might be posting too much in this thread. But given that for every post by someone who might conceivably be called a lurker (a number of those with close to 1000 posts have been here less than a year) there were nearly 10 from those who weren't. That's a ratio that suggests less a matter of encouragement, but more a matter of taking things over (and I don't mean to imply intent, particularly since I have multiple posts here myself).

If you want a possible reason why people don't join in, take a look at this thread:

I'd say that once a member exceeds 50K posts, the likelihood I have them on ignore increases. If They have over 75K, it's very likely. If it's approaching 100K, it's almost a guarantee. I'm just not that into you. :foryou:

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 10/29/2021 at 5:01 PM, CAHokie said:

Coming soon… GG vs Vintage, round 2 of a battle of…well, comic book guys. :popcorn:

Yes, it's always fun to see the usual suspects jump in to defend one of them.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:00 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I'd say that once a member exceeds 50K posts, the likelihood I have them on ignore increases. If They have over 75K, it's very likely. If it's approaching 100K, it's almost a guarantee. I'm just not that into you. :foryou:

BCDC547D-CB94-4FA3-9C70-B3A9AF454D9A.gif.b6b0a559558d34e0fbeb06f6297c2b30.gif

On 10/29/2021 at 5:34 PM, Scoff said:

That's one of them, but no, this one, where he says he's going to ignore the advice he asked for lol

And again.......I seen nothing wrong with his posts in that thread.

He's coming into this as a collector that's excited to get back into the hobby......not a flipper/seller. 

His motivations for doing things are different than what a lot of people appear to be assuming.  All he asked in that thread was if pressing would help improve the damage to the book.  When people started to discourage him based on the value the book would achieve after pressing is what prompted some of his replies......which I think were reasonable.  He's not asking about this stuff so he can flip books and make a profit (as foreign as the concept of not concentrating on value is to some in here)........he's doing it to improve the look of some books in his collection and is going to be keeping them in his collection.  

He thanked people for the advice in that thread (even if he's not going to take it because money is not the motivating factor for him).  He also apologized in that thread for misunderstanding someone's comment.  It's also obvious that someone deleted one or more of their comments towards him from the thread.  I see some thin skin in that thread........but it's not on the O.P.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 10/29/2021 at 7:23 PM, Domo Arigato said:

And again.......I seen nothing wrong with his posts in that thread.

He's coming into this as a collector that's excited to get back into the hobby......not a flipper/seller. 

His motivations for doing things are different than what a lot of people appear to be assuming.  All he asked in that thread was if pressing would help improve the damage to the book.  When people started to discourage him based on the value the book would achieve after pressing is what prompted some of his replies......which I think were reasonable.  He's not asking about this stuff so he can flip books and make a profit (as foreign as the concept of not concentrating on value is to some in here)........he's doing it to improve the look of some books in his collection and is going to be keeping them in his collection.  

He thanked people for the advice in that thread (even if he's not going to take it because money is not the motivating factor for him).  He also apologized in that thread for misunderstanding someone's comment.  I see some thin skin in that thread........but it's not on the O.P.

Are you Joe Peck?:baiting:

On 10/29/2021 at 6:28 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Are you Joe Peck?:baiting:

No doubt.  I might as well be.....with all the ridiculous accusations flying around.

Why do people lurk?

I have a better question.......Why don't more people lurk?

Edited by Domo Arigato

@VintageComics asked about the boards search function and blowupthemoon, all I did was answer....

Try to help a boardie, you know? Hopefully lurkers didnt see that as some sort of attack, even if it was a bit of a thread derailer. :shy:

Then @universal soldier picked up the bouncing ball...

Congrats lurkers this is how you get back on track, with a lurker lunch sack! A bit of dont talk back, yakkity yakk! 

Peace friends

On 10/29/2021 at 7:14 PM, Logan510 said:

Yes, it's always fun to see the usual suspects jump in to defend one of them.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:59 PM, G G © ® ™ said:

Here we go....  :facepalm:

Look, the old star rating system for the boards is back again!  lol

:jokealert: