• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Lurkers! Yes you! Why don’t you post more?
15 15

972 posts in this topic

Here's a tip for those who don't want to be contacted by Private Messaging (PM) by members who they don't get on with, but who would still like to see their forum posts.

These are Desktop Instructions.

Select 'Forums' > 'My Settings' > 'Ignored Users' as below:

ig1.PNG.e8144c3874dc39b804789bc9c5fb6f8d.PNG

In the next screen, 'Ignored Users', start to type the name of the member that you wish to block Private Messages from (no @ symbol needed):

ig2.thumb.PNG.1a8aaf2392b0bc66e359ed765bce0091.PNG

When the user appears in the drop down list, select them:

ig3.PNG.6ce43da1bc2238dcac4775a71a111b84.PNG

In the next screen you will see four 'Ignore' options:

1. Posts
  2. Messages
  3. Mentions
  4. Signature

If you select 'Messages' only, and then press 'Add User' then that member will no longer be able to send you Private Messages:

ig4.PNG.3b95682646ae59c62798a5ae18c86e4e.PNG

Many members here comment on the ineffectiveness of the ignore function. The biggest problem is that when you block a member in full, you still see their comments when they are quoted by others. And the posts that they make show to you like so:

ig5.thumb.PNG.53fc54450efecf0d1669b6fee46d7081.PNG

So you are affectively reminded that you are ignoring them every time you read a thread in which they have posted. 

That can get annoying after a while, as your natural human instinct is to want to see what they have said, so the instructions above will allow you to block private messages only and retain sight of their posts, which you may find easier.

It does mean that there is absolutely no reason why members who do not get on should be posting publicly that others won't leave them alone via PM. This stops that happening. If you don't like the cut of someone's jib, would like to avoid personal contact with them, but would still like to see their posts, then this is a handy application. 

On 11/2/2021 at 11:18 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Here's a tip for those who don't want to be contacted by Private Messaging (PM) by members who they don't get on with, but who would still like to see their forum posts.

These are Desktop Instructions.

Select 'Forums' > 'My Settings' > 'Ignored Users' as below:

ig1.PNG.e8144c3874dc39b804789bc9c5fb6f8d.PNG

In the next screen, 'Ignored Users', start to type the name of the member that you wish to block Private Messages from (no @ symbol needed):

ig2.thumb.PNG.1a8aaf2392b0bc66e359ed765bce0091.PNG

When the user appears in the drop down list, select them:

ig3.PNG.6ce43da1bc2238dcac4775a71a111b84.PNG

In the next screen you will see four 'Ignore' options:

1. Posts
  2. Messages
  3. Mentions
  4. Signature

If you select 'Messages' only, and then press 'Add User' then that member will no longer be able to send you Private Messages:

ig4.PNG.3b95682646ae59c62798a5ae18c86e4e.PNG

Many members here comment on the ineffectiveness of the ignore function. The biggest problem is that when you block a member in full, you still see their comments when they are quoted by others. And the posts that they make show to you like so:

ig5.thumb.PNG.53fc54450efecf0d1669b6fee46d7081.PNG

So you are affectively reminded that you are ignoring them every time you read a thread in which they have posted. 

That can get annoying after a while, as your natural human instinct is to want to see what they have said, so the instructions above will allow you to block private messages only and retain sight of their posts, which you may find easier.

It does mean that there is absolutely no reason why members who do not get on should be posting publicly that others won't leave them alone via PM. This stops that happening. If you don't like the cut of someone's jib, would like to avoid personal contact with them, but would still like to see their posts, then this is a handy application. 

Thanks for the info! I have never felt the need to block anyone but it’s good to know how in case a couple of creepers get creepier. 

A few people on here must click on some threads and see nothing but boxes, lol

On 11/1/2021 at 9:04 PM, Logan510 said:

I've been here for 13 years ( 1 year as a lurker ) and even then people were whining about how this place wasn't as good as it used to be lol

So how long was it actually good for then?

October 14, 2004.  For the entire day.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:09 AM, thehumantorch said:
On 11/1/2021 at 10:04 PM, Logan510 said:

I've been here for 13 years ( 1 year as a lurker ) and even then people were whining about how this place wasn't as good as it used to be lol

So how long was it actually good for then?

October 14, 2004.  For the entire day.

That's my brother's birthday! :banana: but I'm sure it was some time in the late 80's, as mine too was on the 14th of different month!!! xD 

On 11/2/2021 at 3:58 PM, CAHokie said:

Thanks for the info! I have never felt the need to block anyone but it’s good to know how in case a couple of creepers get creepier. 

"You've chosen to ignore content by EVERYONE" lol

On 11/2/2021 at 1:33 PM, Prince Namor said:
On 11/2/2021 at 11:58 AM, CAHokie said:

Yup

Yup.  Thankfully. 

On 11/2/2021 at 5:43 PM, G G © ® ™ said:

Instead of the ignore function we should have Chas and Dave button.

https://youtu.be/wOSseI1hao8

Yes, then every time someone complained about it, Mike could say "Oh darlin', aint no pleasing you"

On 11/2/2021 at 5:52 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I like it GG. Moderation by eighties hits.

Dohn't, dohn't, maaaake waaaaves... YzrA.gif.a0f6713ade06a3de85fedd78c6917da3.gif

Then the hammer could be brought down with this.

Edited by G G © ® ™

On 11/2/2021 at 6:04 PM, G G © ® ™ said:

Then the hammer could be brought down with this.

https://youtu.be/sFacWGBJ_cs

Oh, no. He's pulled out the Dolce.

Always have to go that little bit too far, don't you, GG. 

On 11/2/2021 at 6:06 PM, horrorfan70 said:

The OP requested lurkers to respond and look how many non-lurkers have responded. It's more than one or two. The fundamental problem is many members can't or won't follow simple requests and rules.

2093093513_LAHSorry.gif.81530bbc3f00bec8932c191bac05f9f9.gif

On 11/2/2021 at 6:12 PM, G G © ® ™ said:

I live on the edge. :angel:

Listen to any more of that GG and it'll be the ledge.

Anyway, I've been rightly chastised for making a few flippant posts in this 900 post thread, so I best depart before....