• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Lurkers! Yes you! Why don’t you post more?
15 15

972 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2022 at 10:24 AM, davidpg said:

Am I considered a lurker if I've been active throughout my 19 years here and (with this post) have a hair under 2000 posts?

You can double your post output this winter‼️👍👀

Some boardies might have a low post count, spread out over many years, but there's always the possibility that it's quality over quantity.

Reading is kind of a natural laxative but trying to respond by mobile phone can induce constipation.  That's my theory on lurking without contributing.

I should add a more serious contribution:  Being new to a forum makes most people self-conscious and insecure.  If your first couple posts get passed right over with no response, you start wondering what you are doing wrong and maybe stop posting.  The reality is there is a bit of a "earning your respect" element to established forums.  A new member could give the sagest piece of advice ever given and it likely wouldn't get the same recognition as a well-established member responding with "who farted?".    

Edited by Nick Furious

On 10/6/2022 at 9:50 PM, Nick Furious said:

Reading is kind of a natural laxative but trying to respond by mobile phone can induce constipation.  That's my theory on lurking without contributing.

I should add a more serious contribution:  Being new to a forum makes most people self-conscious and insecure.  If your first couple posts get passed right over with no response, you start wondering what you are doing wrong and maybe stop posting.  The reality is there is a bit of a "earning your respect" element to established forums.  A new member could give the sagest piece of advice ever given and it likely wouldn't get the same recognition as a well-established member responding with "who farted?".    

7AF12688-495A-42F5-9557-DA92023DAAE7.gif.a65302a044fc12075abfee6e413c044f.gif

Didn’t want to pass right over :wink:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 10/6/2022 at 8:50 PM, Nick Furious said:

If your first couple posts get passed right over with no response, you start wondering what you are doing wrong and maybe stop posting. 

My posts were passed over for years, and for the most part still are. :banana:

Yup. I lurked for about six months before joining.  The discussions started to seem like I had something to contribute to, the posts indicated a degree of like-mindedness and that I had some opportunity to fit in, though, as is to be expected, there was also a visible degree of aggressive hazing to be aware of back then.  And, in places, clearly a sense of humour counterbalancing the occasional intellectual seriousness. I liked the range of discussions here, and decided to join. 

On 10/5/2022 at 8:00 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Some boardies might have a low post count, spread out over many years, but there's always the possibility that it's quality over quantity.

Naw.