• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 2
11 11

314 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2022 at 7:24 PM, Frederic9494 said:

6 pts...

Undergraded Scooby because of the eraser mark... that vanished once slabbed.

But had a total brain cramp with what I thought were multiple fingerprint marks on the back cover of the ASM 300 :tonofbricks:

Rex Dexter of Mars #1   1.5

Lawbreakers Suspense Stories #11   7.0

Action Comics #242   4.0

Scooby Doo #1   6.0 :cry:

Amazing Spider-Man #300    8.5  :cry:

I think you have scored 4 points on #300.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I got burned by the census on Rex Dexter this round. I checked it on a lark and was surprised to see there was no books graded between 0.5 and 3.0, which is where I had it. I think I turned a 1 point miss (prolly had it 1.8) into a 4 point miss as I settled on 3.0. I'm not mad at all, my fault for trying to use an outside source instead of just grading the book. I'm curious why it didn't show up on the census? Maybe too recently slabbed?

On 2/10/2022 at 7:33 PM, Frederic9494 said:

Really? Thought it was 1 point per grade level (regardless if it's by 0.5 or 0.2 increment)

I think I am wrong.  9.0 is one point then one more point for 8.5.  That is my wild guess.   How did people get 15 to 28 points in last round?

Edited by JollyComics

Rex Dexter of Mars #1:  .5

Lawbreakers Suspense Stories #11:  7.0

Action Comics #242:  4.0

Scooby Doo #1:  6.5

Amazing Spider-Man #300:  9.6

7 points.

Clearly did not know how to grade that big hole in Rex Dexter.  I've seen the 1/3 strip covers that get .5 grades, and I knew this was better than that, but, I thought at a certain point it was just automatic .5

And I couldn't blow up the Spider-Man image and it looked very clean to me.  

Otherwise, reasonably close.  Missed all the coin flips.

On 2/10/2022 at 5:34 PM, PINWHEEL said:

I won't lie, that ASM 300 messed with me, I was torn between the white line along the spine being a crease or just a reflection on the slab, clearly I was wrong.

I looked t the front and saw the same size and location white stripe so realized it was glare, not scuff/crease.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:49 PM, Pangolin said:

There is no 1.5 in the CGC census|

what, you think you're dealing with amateurs here! This is the OFFICIAL contest. (I assume they held the books back for us to use.)