• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

investing right now
7 7

195 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2022 at 4:56 PM, Robot Man said:

Indeed! Problem is, you just can’t replace what you sold or any more inventory.

My problem is I figured that out and I love my collection. I have learned only to sell the stuff I can live without and only for a good reason…

Yeah a lot of what I collect is pretty low print runs, if I ever want to replace them I’ll likely pay more than I made. But this stuff has been sitting in a closet for a decade. If I don’t look at them why have them I figure

I recommend you purchase a very high number of modern variants and also 3rd and 4th printings of modern comics.  If you can, try to corner the market on one or two of them, buy as many copies in any condition you can find them in.  Also, as many copies of Spider-man #1 from 1990, doesn't matter which ones or what the condition is, buy all that you can get.

Edited by Randall Dowling
Nuance

On 3/29/2022 at 7:56 PM, Gregd said:

Have you thought about high grade magazines like Vampirella? I think Vampirella 1 will be in the stratosphere in the future. Also, any Frazetta covers are probably a great bet (and still undervalued and many with less high graded issues than you think). The covers are beautiful, too. 

Walk into a comic shop and Vamp/Frazetta stuff is likely to be displayed somewhere.

jh.gif.e83474d12105bb996f1b20b0ce1201ac.gif

On 3/29/2022 at 11:44 AM, D2 said:

I wouldn't buy anything from this list.

Literally nothing.

Come on now.  Detective Comics #1?  I would buy that.  It's so rare and so desirable that you can pretty much name your price when you sell it.  

On the other hand, when a No Grade (incomplete) coverless and missing first and second wraps copy sells for $5,000, it's probably wayyyyy out of his price range.  lol

Edited by FFB

On 3/29/2022 at 11:58 AM, D2 said:

Unfortunately, as a collector, I have found there to be 2 types of books. Keys which go up, and non keys which are nice to have. 

I spent 95% of my time and money buying books that I liked.

Then I sold everything and started from scratch. Now I only buy books that I love and I think have the highest probability of going up. Only keys. I hate having a collection of only keys, but I had a collection of mostly non keys and it took me literally 6 years to sell them all. (I decided to sell books individually and not as a bulk sale). The keys are hard enough to move... 

This is true and is the main reason I wouldn't buy a ton of copies of something like ASM 265 instead of one big book.  The time and effort it takes to sell them all is considerable.  

On 3/29/2022 at 10:17 AM, D2 said:

Talking about market correction,

there are less than 300 signed Dark Knight Return #1 9.8s

1) any non comic reader knows that book

2) any new comic collector wants to own it

3) 300 copies of the modern grail is not many 

4) this book is only going to go up, and even at $1,800 usd, it’s a steal

Yeah, because defaced comics definitely aren't a niche.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:19 PM, Kevin76 said:

Schomburg covers, WW 2 covers, Any Captain America Comics book, Superhero Timleys, Detective comics 1-100,168,225 Joker/Catwoman covers.  Any pre code horror classic cover you can't go wrong on, Most anything before 1945. L.B Cole covers.  All are safe bets, A lot of guys in the thread are trolling you. They don't like comics and investing in the same sentence. 

Well, I can't speak for anybody else, but my main objective as a collector is definitely to encourage others to suck comics out of the market and drive up prices for their potential benefit.

On the other hand, if I were also investing like this, I would definitely be giving away all my secrets!

Off the 2 books mentioned, I think Marvel Spotlight has greater long term potential because of the Ghost Rider’s longevity in the medium. UF4 may have peaked for now until a significant history is established and the writing can maintain a fan base on par with the original counterpart. Unless marvel can create a well built history with supporting characters over the next 5-10 years, interest will wane and investment growth will stagnate imo. Add to that the amount of high grade copies available for each and it’s probably easier to reach a conclusion on investment.

On 3/30/2022 at 4:38 AM, Lazyboy said:

Well, I can't speak for anybody else, but my main objective as a collector is definitely to encourage others to suck comics out of the market and drive up prices for their potential benefit.

On the other hand, if I were also investing like this, I would definitely be giving away all my secrets!

Nicely ironic.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:00 PM, shadroch said:

I don't understand peoples reluctance to share their best investment strategy with strangers. 

On 3/30/2022 at 12:00 PM, shadroch said:

I don't understand peoples reluctance to share their best investment strategy with strangers. 

Since there are millions of comics and its not as if everyones competing for the same one, then neither do I, I agree with you n100%, however if thats how people feel Im fine with it. I think its more than that though. Its the self important, bombastic attitude of someone feeling that their view is the only one when it comes to comics and feel they have to make a point. Im not sure why, it doesnt get under mine or anyone elses skin, their comments are just ignored, but it does make some people look a bit sad and pathetic. Ive been collecting 30 years have 10k comics, lucky enough to have a few expensive ones and like to know other peoples view on whats hot in the future so feel I deserve to put a polite post on a public forum. If someone feels bitter and controlling on that then fine (a bit of fun banter is funny), but jog on with the serious points and save your time as the comments dont register as even slightly meaningful, important or effecting, they really really dont. . 

On 3/30/2022 at 1:19 AM, B2D327 said:

Off the 2 books mentioned, I think Marvel Spotlight has greater long term potential because of the Ghost Rider’s longevity in the medium. UF4 may have peaked for now until a significant history is established and the writing can maintain a fan base on par with the original counterpart. Unless marvel can create a well built history with supporting characters over the next 5-10 years, interest will wane and investment growth will stagnate imo. Add to that the amount of high grade copies available for each and it’s probably easier to reach a conclusion on investment.

Agreed.
Look for the next Miles bumps to occur when Across the Spider-Verse: Part 1 hits theaters (holidays 2022) and when the combo of Across the Spider-Verse: Part 2 hits theaters AND Spider-Man 2 comes out for the PS5 (holidays 2023).

On 3/30/2022 at 4:47 AM, Casey Ryback said:

Since there are millions of comics and its not as if everyones competing for the same one, then neither do I, I agree with you n100%, however if thats how people feel Im fine with it. I think its more than that though. Its the self important, bombastic attitude of someone feeling that their view is the only one when it comes to comics and feel they have to make a point. Im not sure why, it doesnt get under mine or anyone elses skin, their comments are just ignored, but it does make some people look a bit sad and pathetic. Ive been collecting 30 years have 10k comics, lucky enough to have a few expensive ones and like to know other peoples view on whats hot in the future so feel I deserve to put a polite post on a public forum. If someone feels bitter and controlling on that then fine (a bit of fun banter is funny), but jog on with the serious points and save your time as the comments dont register as even slightly meaningful, important or effecting, they really really dont. . 

Three years ago, you had 5,000 books and were planning on selling the top ones.

What sort of books have you been buying up since you last posted. It seems like your collection had doubled since then. 

What have you been buying? Any photos of this magnificent collection? 

On 3/30/2022 at 11:43 AM, D2 said:
On 3/29/2022 at 10:32 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, because defaced comics definitely aren't a niche.

less than 300 signed Dark Knight Return #1

Didn’t understand this comment, sorry

Edited by ADAMANTIUM