• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P. Neal Adams
9 9

189 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2022 at 10:38 AM, Aman619 said:

I agreed it was bad form…. sounds like they had a few run-Ins over the years which Roy couldn’t help including in his tribute.  But yeah, eulogies are supposed to paint a rosy picture of the departed, not an accurate one. 

I don't mean to continue this topic so I don't mean this in a salty way or anything at all, but I think it's arguable that Roy is being "accurate" and many would agree Neal was being accurate. If an artist is given a one or two sentence idea and then fully develops a 22 page story, adding their own ideas in along the way, adding pacing, etc. the other person is not the "writer", they did the "dialogue". But even if Neal is wrong, like, you needed to add that in your post? As if everybody knows the context of this, it needs to be brought up?

I have that book.  Bought it back in the day when it first came out and re-bought it again when I returned to the hobby.  As far as DC treasuries go, this is one of the best.  Not only does it showcase two great Adams works, but classic Wrightson Batman as well in addition to a full reprint of Batman 227 (back before the cover took center stage from the story itself).  

On 5/1/2022 at 1:13 PM, Zonker said:

Actually, I didn't read Roy Thomas' post as mean-spirited.  Unless there was an earlier message you saw since taken down?  Here is what is currently found from a Google search.  If anything, Thomas is acknowledging his past feud (2018, I believe) with Adams with regret now that the man has passed.

Here is what I see:

I think Roy's approach is pretty balanced and though some might take it as self-centered by Roy referencing the topic he did, I think it comes more from of a sense of gratitude for their lifelong professional and personal relationship and disappointment that things couldn't have been better and that they let temporal emotions interfere and disrupt that relationship instead of putting them in their place and rising above it. You know, just stuff that being a human puts you through and punches you in the gut when the mortality of life slaps you in the face.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:50 PM, NoMan said:

What's the best Neil Adams' Omnibus kinda book with his Batman and Deadman stories. Color, not Black and white?

I've seen a lot of criticism of the color choices in the Batman Omnibus (lowbrow me wasn't put off as much as most fans apparently are) - don't know about the Deadman omni, I've got the floppy set of that and never saw the Omni.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:50 PM, NoMan said:

What's the best Neil Adams' Omnibus kinda book with his Batman and Deadman stories. Color, not Black and white?

Batman Illustrated 1- 3 Hardback & The Deadman Collection Hardback Slipcase......IMHO. I'm not a fan of the Omni size although I do like the Absolutes.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:45 PM, mrc said:

Batman Illustrated 1- 3 Hardback & The Deadman Collection Hardback Slipcase......IMHO. I'm not a fan of the Omni size although I do like the Absolutes.

I have the 3 Illustrated hardbacks (2 signed by Neal).  My complaint (and I'm not the only one) is how he recolored them all, giving them an almost 3D CGI shading look to them.  I like my collected editions to be high quality reprints of the originals, not modern improvements.  Just like we all want the original Star Wars trilogy movies released unedited, I would love to see a Neal Adams collected edition with original colors.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:55 PM, Rob said:

I have the 3 Illustrated hardbacks (2 signed by Neal).  My complaint (and I'm not the only one) is how he recolored them all, giving them an almost 3D CGI shading look to them.  I like my collected editions to be high quality reprints of the originals, not modern improvements.  Just like we all want the original Star Wars trilogy movies released unedited, I would love to see a Neal Adams collected edition with original colors.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of the matt paper though. Anything with glossy paper or bright colours makes me reach for the sunglasses.....lol

On 5/2/2022 at 9:55 PM, Rob said:

I agree. There's too much addition of overwhelming computer colouring and effects in remasters of classic Silver and Bronze Age.  A particularly disappointing read for me, now that you mention Star Wars, was the recent 'remastered' collection of the original Star Wars movie adaptations, which completely obliterated Al Williamson's excellent fine line, detailed artwork. Quite horrendous.  A shame Neal decided to go George Lucas over his brilliant original material as well, something that for many of us wasn't even broken to begin with.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, NoMan said:

board members chased Neil Adams outta here? Classy!

Gotta be someone around here who can give us some details. :popcorn: