• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2022 at 12:15 AM, Xatari said:

Different strokes for different folks. This was an incredible memorable page from my early comic reading. I was in shock that Wolverine was losing his adamantium.  🤯 

Exactly🙂. So much of our love for oa is due to the nostalgia factor , how seeing that OA rekindles those great ( usually childhood) memories

On 8/26/2022 at 10:15 PM, Xatari said:
On 8/26/2022 at 5:01 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

To me, that page just looks messy and cluttered with too much going on🤷. Looks like it's a cockrum homage with big face in the background ala X-Men 94 cover and count nefaria.

Just doesn't float my OA boat😐

Different strokes for different folks. This was an incredible memorable page from my early comic reading. I was in shock that Wolverine was losing his adamantium.  🤯 

Perfect example of how nostalgia trumps almost everything else in this hobby.

On 8/27/2022 at 1:50 AM, grapeape said:

Is it possible this independent comic cover outsells the WW cover?

No, but it will sell for a lot too.

Edited by tth2

Back in 2000 I went to Mid Ohio con and saw several of the Byrne Wonder Woman and Spider-Man Chapter One pages. That’s where I noticed a lot of these were inked with ink that was watered down (prob to enhance ink flow). The art looked nice but it was not the super dark ink you come to expect. So like a genius I passed on several pages I would have bought if they weren’t a bit ink washy.

Back then condition was more of a factor than today.

ink too washy - Pass

too much white out - Pass

not enough front facing heroes - Pass

Real smart!

Edited by gumbydarnit

I think on JB's web site ( byrnerobotics.com ) he once commented ( re: commissions, I think ) that the certain inks changed over time.  Meaning the manufacturer changed their formula / recipe.  John Workman once told me that some ink he was using had changed.  He was told that some people were using it to get high, so the formula was changed.

I'm more worried about inks that fade (e.g Penstix) or bleed (e.g Sharpie) over time.

Edited by Will_K

On 8/27/2022 at 10:53 AM, gumbydarnit said:

Back in 2000 I went to Mid Ohio con and saw several of the Byrne Wonder Woman and Spider-Man Chapter One pages. That’s where I noticed a lot of these were inked with ink that was watered down (prob to enhance ink flow). The art look nice but it was not the super dark ink you come to expect. So like a genius I passed on several pages I would have bought if they weren’t a bit ink washy.

Back then condition was more of a factor than today.

ink too washy - Pass

too much white out - Pass

not enough front facing heroes - Pass

Real smart!

I don”t think I am looking at faded inks. I think the lines are too thin and fine, giving them a weak sketchy look. I don’t think that is just the inking. There are also others where the inks are pretty dark, and they still aren’t so hot. (The one up on Heritage for auction, however, is one of the better ones, but it still has those weak lines.) But, I still like his overall work on other books, like Legends, better, and with a different inker (Kessel). Less cluttered, stronger images, in general. Take a gander on CAF to see what I mean.

Edited by Rick2you2

Byrne definitely changed from the beginning of his FF run (pencils / inks / writing) to the end (pencils / writing).  But he's looking pretty darn good in his X-Men: Elsewhen series (pencils only) on byrnerobotics.com .  Pretty good for "fan fiction", apparently Marvel won't publish it. 

On 8/27/2022 at 5:35 PM, Will_K said:

Byrne definitely changed from the beginning of his FF run (pencils / inks / writing) to the end (pencils / writing).  But he's looking pretty darn good in his X-Men: Elsewhen series (pencils only) on byrnerobotics.com .  Pretty good for "fan fiction", apparently Marvel won't publish it. 

Didn’t he just decide he was done with Elsewhen?

On 8/28/2022 at 3:41 PM, grapeape said:

Yiqian Liu just dropped $170,000,000 on a reclining nude. He paid with his American Express Card and will get “free flights” for him and his family for life via frequent flyer points.

I figure I can prove you wrong by using my IKEA Platinum Card to bid and win the Fantagor cover while receiving a lifetime supply of free Swedish Meatballs.lol

Personally, I think you would get the better end of the deal.

On 8/29/2022 at 7:41 AM, grapeape said:

Yiqian Liu just dropped $170,000,000 on a reclining nude. He paid with his American Express Card and will get “free flights” for him and his family for life via frequent flyer points.

I figure I can prove you wrong by using my IKEA Platinum Card to bid and win the Fantagor cover while receiving a lifetime supply of free Swedish Meatballs.lol

The OA hobby better pray Mr Liu does not acquire a taste for comic OA......He could corner the whole market if he wanted to I think!

On 8/29/2022 at 7:27 AM, tth2 said:

We should hope that he DOES acquire a taste for comic OA.

I'm happy to sell him as many Sal B pages for $1m per page as he wants! 

He’d be getting a bargain at $1m a page.Sal way undervalued. (😎 looks over shoulder for black coat INGSOC badges.)

Heads up make sure you have the ability to take credit cards. As you’ve heard the guys got it bad for frequent flyer mileage points. Hey some people  just want a bath towel and the miniature soaps from the hotel they stay at. Who am I to judge?

On 8/29/2022 at 10:27 AM, tth2 said:

We should hope that he DOES acquire a taste for comic OA.

I'm happy to sell him as many Sal B pages for $1m per page as he wants! 

Be a quick two million bucks in your pocket if you flushed em all I bet!