• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, Twanj said:

791290742_PNGimage.thumb.png.25b40f88af563919f72288d4969025ee.png

These 5 very light pencils only Wolverine Origin covers by Quesada did well, I thought.

846427179_PNGimage.thumb.png.f30c94a53bbd1a25d0c67ce15a349abf.png

Anything about this that I'm missing?

"Commission Information for Jim Lee
Blank cover comic, only bust shot with no background $8,000. And 12k if it a wraparound.  Jim Lee will supply the blank cover comic but you can supply at the show if you like."

What fun to see all those Joe Quesada Origin covers come up. Origin holds quite a bit of nostalgia for me for one of my reading phases. It certainly was a one of the biggest “Event” books at the turn of the century. I wonder what they could have fetched had they been inked?

The result on that DKIII book was surprising to me too. This is how I explain the result. Keep in mind that my memory may have faltered. I believe that particular DKIII book was the 1:5000 Jim Lee sketch variant. I believe at the time of the release those were fetching $5,000 in the raw. So combine the overall rarity with a 9.8 grade and obviously verified, then you get a crazy hammer price. I’m not sure how that book was witnessed since it should have shipped to stores, but I guess there’s always a way. So, me guesses the appeal is the confirmed rarity (a 1 in 5,000 book) over quantity of the art. 

On 9/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, Twanj said:

Anything about this that I'm missing?

"Commission Information for Jim Lee
Blank cover comic, only bust shot with no background $8,000. And 12k if it a wraparound.  Jim Lee will supply the blank cover comic but you can supply at the show if you like."

These were actually incentive covers for that comic (1:5000). Each one came with a sketch by Jim. The book itself is pretty rare, add on the price of Jim's art nowadays, along with the Heritage effect, and boom, you got that price.

And since these were pre-done sketches, you won't see one of these with a gold/yellow CGC label.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:38 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

We've discussed this during previous HA auction threads, and earlier in this very thread, but the sheer number of lots that went for multiples of 4x, 5x, 6x and beyond once live bidding started, has never been so prevalent.  This statement is particularly true for the Sunday auction...stuff that sat around $1.5K - $4K took off like crazy!

Bidding behaviour has changed so much in such a short time that its almost impossible to predict what a piece will go for these days. 

(thumbsu  Hopefully people will stop making posts a week before live bidding fretting about price levels or lack of price movement.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:52 AM, tth2 said:

(thumbsu  Hopefully people will stop making posts a week before live bidding fretting about price levels or lack of price movement.

I don't want to panic too early....but NONE of the lots for the November Signature Auction have any bids!!!  :ohnoez:

On 9/13/2022 at 3:33 PM, Bronty said:

Batman_fan beat you to it!

But two hours later....STILL NO BIDS!!!

We've got to keep a running ticker on this. 
THE CRASH IS UPON US!

On 9/13/2022 at 3:57 PM, batman_fan said:

Still nothing !!!!

I think there are some real steals in this one, somebody is going to get a bargain

:ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez:

Doing the quick math and projecting these numbers out.....everything's going to end at $Free!

On 9/11/2022 at 8:33 PM, Twanj said:

That's one of em, yeh I could tell it wasn't Jim Lee but I couldn't place the actual artist.

Bagley Venom cover? There was another Bagley Venom cover this was done on too IIRC.

Yeh, I'd pass on that. Definitely should've been in the description.

Yes...it was a Bagley Venom Cover....How Ironic 

Heritage ended up cancelling the order. Great cover but commission inks (nothing against the inker...well respected!) ruined it for me...

On 9/14/2022 at 4:57 AM, batman_fan said:
On 9/14/2022 at 4:45 AM, comix4fun said:

But two hours later....STILL NO BIDS!!!

We've got to keep a running ticker on this. 
THE CRASH IS UPON US!

Still nothing !!!!

I think there are some real steals in this one, somebody is going to get a bargain

Geez, you guys are giving Lou_Fine some really bad ideas for every CC auction from now on.