• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2022 at 4:36 AM, batman_fan said:

The one piece I was watching was the 1958 daily but it closed at a higher than expected price.  

Maybe I'm getting too jaded, but I thought it ended up at a relatively reasonable price. 

On 9/9/2022 at 9:09 PM, tth2 said:

Maybe I'm getting too jaded, but I thought it ended up at a relatively reasonable price. 

Given I got a 1957 piece with some awesome Snoopy panels for just over $20k in the previous auction I was hoping for something in the $20k to $30k range but $40k was what I use to paid for my Sundays.

On 9/10/2022 at 6:50 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:
On 9/10/2022 at 4:46 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Miller Wolverine page went for $102K…I don’t think anyone saw that one coming!

That is ridiculous!🤯

The cover for wolverine 3 LS sold on CL around 2017 I think for around $35 K......but my memory could be way off here

2017 is a completely different era with no bearing on prices in 2022.

Instead of thinking it's only 5 years ago in human years, convert those 5 years to dog years.

Otherwise, don't plan on winning anything anytime soon, unless the long predicted Great Crash finally happens.  

Edited by tth2

On 9/9/2022 at 8:08 PM, tth2 said:

Really surprised by this as this sale is coming after Neal's passing.

Prices for Adams art in the last Signature auction, soon after the news broke, were very strong.

Bechara has stated numerous times over the years that comic art only goes up. So there may be some basis for a class auction lawsuit here.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:08 PM, tth2 said:

Prices for Adams art in the last Signature auction, soon after the news broke, were very strong.

When seeking out Adams Batman I look for something around the 1972-73 time period, or just after, and from the main "Batman" title. 

This piece was early for someone seeking his signature Batman style and storylines. 
I was more surprised by the result the first time it sold compared to this time because of that. 

On 9/10/2022 at 9:27 AM, wolvergeek said:

There wasn’t anything in the “scraps” budget range ($10k and under) for us scrappers! Almost snagged the Zeck Punisher cover for $10k but was underbidder.

On to the next session!

That price was a bargain considering a recreation of punisher LS 1 cover is asking $25k

On 9/10/2022 at 1:17 PM, tth2 said:

2017 is a completely different era with no bearing on prices in 2022.

Instead of thinking it's only 5 years ago in human years, convert those 5 years to dog years.

Otherwise, don't plan on winning anything anytime soon, unless the long predicted Great Crash finally happens.  

You're completely right, any average bronze Age cover is going to cost $30-70k. 

Copper and 90's series covers $30-80k

What if 32 cover $50k

That Avengers spotlight cover with Hawkeye and the swordsman realised approx. $25k I think ( from very rough memory)

On 9/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, tth2 said:

Here's proof of the correction/ crash.

If it was some OA flipper then I'm not particularly sympathetic🤷

On 9/10/2022 at 2:30 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

You're completely right, any average bronze Age cover is going to cost $30-70k. 

Copper and 90's series covers $30-80k

What if 32 cover $50k

That Avengers spotlight cover with Hawkeye and the swordsman realised approx. $25k I think ( from very rough memory)

$13,000 on the Avengers Spotlight cover.

FC0AD6D0-8C78-4C5B-ADA7-062935EAE1E5.png

On 9/10/2022 at 2:25 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

That price was a bargain considering a recreation of punisher LS 1 cover is asking $25k

One overpriced recreation looking for the right buyer doesn’t make anything else a bargain.    Don’t get me wrong I understand your train of thought and apparently those zeck recreations have sold well lately but expensive recreations are always dubious value, at least to me personally.    Better to judge the pieces independently IMO as recreations make for odd data points. 

On 9/9/2022 at 6:05 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

I am about as big of an X-men fan around… but anyway I look At this my brain can not fathom the results…

5CC136D6-265A-45D3-A5A1-344B2928928B.png

Speaking of which , @comix4fun maybe you can tell me why the exquisite Inking here led to the big price?   ;)

I like the connoisseurship aspect too, but let’s not conflate art appreciation with value.     Value cares about supply and demand and nothing else.     It doesn’t matter if that demand drives from art appreciation, scarcity, a first appearance , or whether it’s from childhood familiarity with really bad art (more the case these days) .    It doesn’t matter.    

So tobring it back to the inker, sure it can matter, potentially.    it can also not matter at all, and that’s been more the way things are swinging lately for better or owrse

Edited by Bronty

On 9/10/2022 at 8:01 AM, Bronty said:

Speaking of which , @comix4fun maybe you can tell me why the exquisite Inking here led to the big price?   ;)

Much like the Bell-inked Ditko...it doesn't. 
But we'd need to compare this piece to a bunch of other pieces by the same artist to compare it on some kind of value continuum to see if aesthetics mattered at all. Regardless we can cut to the chase and see that the "X-tinction Agenda" angle is likely 99.5% responsible for the bidding on this cover.
Kind of makes my point about the discarding of aesthetics entirely for nostalgia. Nostalgia is the biggest mover in this hobby, always has been, but there's always been a hierarchy or rubric by which pieces were compared to one another that led to viewing comparative outcomes within the same artist's body of work. 

Looks like Heritage has delivered another wildly successful auction.  Congrats to all sellers and purchasers (except for those who outbid me 😉)

I was serious about adding 11 lots to my collection this auction, and I thought I bid aggressively, but I ended up 0-11.

I was the immediate underbidder on 8 lots, second underbidder on 2, and I was utterly smoked on one lot.

oh well, more funds in my pockets for the next auction.

Really impressed with the sale of this Deadpool page from Sins of Future's Past. Pages for this were going for a fraction just two years ago. If this is what prices are now I'm glad I was able to get my example when I did. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/ian-churchill-and-w-c-carani-deadpool-4-story-page-11-original-art-marvel-1994-/a/7279-95163.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116