• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

This auction provided a pretty valuable lesson... Friday's session, in hindsight, contained some real bargains in the $8-12K space. I'm guessing they just got lost in the shuffle/excitement or bidders had already blown their budgets on the mega pages... I'm seeing the opposite today, as bidders scramble for the leftovers and bid everything up accordingly. Next time I'll hunt more aggressively in the "big" sessions...

On 9/11/2022 at 6:49 PM, BVladimirHarkonnen said:

Was definitely consistent with other results this year, with a dash of inflation added in... FMV for Bill's non-Demon Bear art from NM seems pretty stable right now

Edited by KirbyCollector

I watched the Windsor McKay political pieces with great interest. The standout piece was this one, and it went for a solid price. I was a little surprised that the same mind that gave us Little Nemo had such conservative opinions, especially when it came to policing the arts world.

46F65761-7507-4B75-B14B-187EB7100399.jpeg

D90B681F-DBCA-4511-8EDD-4610751CDBA4.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 9/11/2022 at 6:27 PM, Bill C said:

Technically I think they would still need to have like two confirmed miracles under their belt. A couple of card tricks should get it done.

Can we count each Garfield lot moved as an individual miracle to speed the application along? 

On 9/11/2022 at 11:45 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Really impressed with the sale of this Deadpool page from Sins of Future's Past. Pages for this were going for a fraction just two years ago. If this is what prices are now I'm glad I was able to get my example when I did. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/ian-churchill-and-w-c-carani-deadpool-4-story-page-11-original-art-marvel-1994-/a/7279-95163.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Juggernaut Tax?

I bid aggressively (but didn't win) solely because of that sweet Juggy image.

On 9/11/2022 at 4:04 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Was definitely consistent with other results this year, with a dash of inflation added in... FMV for Bill's non-Demon Bear art from NM seems pretty stable right now

That one went a bit higher than I was expecting. The similar page right after had been shopped around for 10k the last year or so, then dropped to 8500 last month. Maybe auction fomo played a part. 

On 9/11/2022 at 7:10 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I watched the Windsor McKay political pieces with great interest. The standout piece was this one, and it went for a solid price. I was a little surprised that the same mind that gave us Little Nemo had such conservative opinions, especially when it came to policing the arts world.

Hearst paid a McKay a hefty sum to create the pictures for his editorial views as Hearst thought so highly of his art.  There was occasional tension between the two because of how it restricted McKay's artistic interests and his ability to draw other things.

On 9/11/2022 at 8:38 PM, adamstrange said:

Hearst paid a McKay a hefty sum to create the pictures for his editorial views as Hearst thought so highly of his art.  There was occasional tension between the two because of how it restricted McKay's artistic interests and his ability to draw other things.

Such strange bedfellows. So do we know if the editorial views were Hearst’s? 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 9/11/2022 at 9:55 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Such strange bedfellows. So do we know if the editorial views were Hearst’s? 

Hearst was a hands-on publisher.  He took great interest in the comics section and editorial.

On 9/11/2022 at 10:00 PM, AlexG_art said:

Has anyone cancelled on a winning piece? I won a cover today but now I question the description.  

Post it.

I noticed a couple things I was watching had their descriptions updated mid auction. The artist was completely off on one.

On 9/11/2022 at 7:00 PM, AlexG_art said:

Has anyone cancelled on a winning piece? I won a cover today but now I question the description.  

If there is a justifiable reason I am sure they are reasonable.

Not HA but I won the Alan Davis Nail cover on comiclink a few years ago, then I saw posts (here?) that it was a recreation because the original was lost, and I did't have to pay (they wanted to check who said it, and I linked them to Alan Davis website that said it)

Malvin

On 9/11/2022 at 10:47 PM, Twanj said:

Post it.

I noticed a couple things I was watching had their descriptions updated mid auction. The artist was completely off on one.

I notified Jim about the “Jim Lee” pogs art really being drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz and he had it changed immediately. That was earlier this week.

On 9/11/2022 at 7:47 PM, grapeape said:

:popcorn: no. But tell us more? You feel deceived?

On 9/11/2022 at 7:47 PM, Twanj said:

Post it.

On 9/11/2022 at 7:56 PM, malvin said:

If there is a justifiable reason I am sure they are reasonable.

Not HA but I won the Alan Davis Nail cover on comiclink a few years ago, then I saw posts (here?) that it was a recreation because the original was lost, and I did't have to pay (they wanted to check who said it, and I linked them to Alan Davis website that said it)

Malvin

I'll put it this. While the piece in question has original pencils. The inks were added postproduction. 

The way I took it is the owner of the piece decided to take the original art. And have it commissioned by a famous inker. Now had they said that in the description. I would've probably passed. 

It's a great piece but not sure I can get passed the fact the commission inks were done over an original. 

Edited by AlexG_art

On 9/11/2022 at 10:59 PM, Michael Browning said:

I notified Jim about the “Jim Lee” pogs art really being drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz and he had it changed immediately. That was earlier this week.

That's one of em, yeh I could tell it wasn't Jim Lee but I couldn't place the actual artist.

On 9/11/2022 at 11:19 PM, AlexG_art said:

I'll put it this. While the piece in question has original pencils. The inks were added postproduction. 

The way I took it is the owner of the piece decided to take the original art. And have it commissioned by a famous inker. Now had they said that in the description. I would've probably passed. 

It's a great piece but not sure I can get passed the fact the commission inks were done over an original. 

Bagley Venom cover? There was another Bagley Venom cover this was done on too IIRC.

Yeh, I'd pass on that. Definitely should've been in the description.