• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grading Is Broken...Im done.
6 6

202 posts in this topic

A book getting tattooed solely for fingerprints is nothing new, it happened to me several years ago.  Perfect 9.8 looking book, but with fingerprint marks that I didn't see until after grading.  Result -- 8.5

Not to say CGC is doing a great job right now by any means, but they probably aren't all screw ups.

On 8/26/2022 at 12:57 PM, NumminzAK said:

I’ve sent orders in the past that got a decent amount of cgc 9.8 for modern books. I paid for a third party presser for books that looked perfect in

the first place...my latest order didn’t have a single 9.8 out

of 25 books...and several got hit down to 8.5 for « light finger prints » with no other issues. My presser wears gloves and does great work and was responsible for a 24/25 9.8 submission in the past...there is just no way this is correct. My take is cgc has a bunch of untrained staff doing sloppy work. Here I sit with no recourse...cgc takes no

blame. I’m done with this company.

Light fingerprints has been a thing. You may want to PM your order information to @CGC Mike so that he can include it with the other fingerprint complaints to QC.

On 8/27/2022 at 6:15 PM, Key Largo Comics said:

Very happy with the grades on my last two modern submissions.

For the most part the books I expected to come back 9.8 did so.

A couple came back 9.6 but a couple that I thought were 9.4 or 9.6 came back 9.8 so no complaints here.

Problem is that the modern grading for each shipment is quite inconsistent. I have shipments where majority gets 9.8 and shipments where just a few gets 9.8. Books are similar 

Edited by Poka

Some graders are tougher than others. They are human so I can accept that. I can also accept that I may sometimes think a book is a higher grade than it actually is.

The only thing that really grinds me is when a grader makes a note of "moderate staining" to a book where the image on the inside of a cover shows through to the outside. I had a couple of books where that happened, most recently an ASM 315. The book, which was a 9.6 all the way, was dropped all the way down to an 8.5 for this phantom flaw. cracked the slab and saw that there was no actual staining and I was simply out the cost of grading with no recourse. I also double checked images of existing 9.8 copies of that book and they pretty much all have the inside cover showing through on the white of the outside cover, so I know some graders know how to grade this book accurately. 

I know changes can be tough with a lot of graders employed by CGC, but I would be really REALLY happy if a memo or something like that went out to check to see if it is actual staining before knocking the grade down and leaving a note saying a book is stained. Assuming learning is continual this type of approach should be doable to prevent more of the same error in the future. 

Edited by Stefan_W

I still truly believe that CGC had an accident with a certain book out of my final submission.   No way to prove it.  No recourse to take.  It is what it is.  The original slab did not denote any issue with the staples.  The new notes indicated that there was a loose staple.  

Funny, there never was a loose staple when it was in my hands. 

Book is still worth far more than what I paid.  But it could have been worth more. 

CGC has been fair with me overall.

Recently though, I sent in a modern book for pressing before grading because it had a couple very light spine bends.

It came back a 9.4 but the very light spine bends were now deep spine bends.

Somehow they got worse after a press.

(shrug)

On 8/27/2022 at 12:33 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I won’t speak for CGC, but this is pretty much the current state of everything everywhere. I am an employer and can tell you that we experience this, and so does every other employer I speak with across many different kinds of employment.

I have zero doubt that they are experiencing the same problems trying to add barely-trainable employees to an already-struggling workforce that is buried with work.

At the risk of sounding like a 49-year old fogey, I will say here what I say to everyone I talk to who complains about this problem:

”It’s the millennials world now - this is how they want it to run. We just live in it.”

This was during my college years. 

A friend of mine also had a job there and when his parents would go away he and his sister would wave goodbye at the driveway and then start spreading the word that there was to be a party.  Now this is this mid 90's so there is no social media, yet word would go around the department store we all worked at and the mall.  Cars would be four deep on the street.   The next day the department store could not open.  There was no one but a skeleton crew and it was not enough.  Human resources kind of knew what was up and called my friend's house to ask him to wake up the store manager who was sleeping on the couch from the night before to get everyone up to go to work. lol 

A few times we took a dinner by leaving early, taking a train three towns away to go to a concert hall for their happy hour which had a free carving station and the pasta and wings and sometimes even seafood.  We would do dinner there, get stamped, go back to work a lil sloppy right before close, cash out and then everyone would go out for the evening and back to the concert hall for free since we were stamped.  There were no store employees I guess because we were all out. 

I have too many stories to tell from this time period of labor. lol 

I think the only thing that has really changed drastically is that social media allows for all of this stuff to be more widely known.    Back then we were able to kind of keep it a little more hush hush.  If someone came into the store, they did not have the ability to take pictures to show that no one was there.  They looked and got frustrated and left. 

I don't want to tag him but a certain board member that joined these boards back in 2002 knows what I am talking about as I am pretty sure he was with us a few times. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, Dr. Balls said:

It’s the Have Fun culture- but they’ve rechristened it as a lifestyle, and everyone around them supports it with lax expectations

Makes me wish I was part of that generation perhaps I'd be a lot less grumpy? Although it would also most certainly be with much less original comic art...

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/27/2022 at 1:06 PM, MAR1979 said:

Makes me wish I was part of that generation perhaps I'd be a lot less grumpy? Although it would also most certainly be with much less original comic art...

Exactly.

And since we’re talking about that, who the hell is going to buy my comic collection if we have a whole generation of non-fungible collecting paupers with no money! lol

Circling back around, I didn’t mean for me to get wrapped up in the philosophical part of this from my perspective.

So CGC is forced to hire a workforce that doesn’t have the same trainable skills as previous generations - so things are going to get missed. And in order for them to retain that workforce, standards have to be lowered because said workforce doesn’t like criticism or disciplinary action. It’s the erosion of our society across everything we have, from restaurants to grading services. And who knows if it ever gets corrected.

So many valid points made in this topic. 

I wonder if an employee's throughput is tied to their pay. If it's anything like working at Amazon, then I can see why so many comes return with finger bends.

And (I am a broken record on this topic), all grading companies must be required to submit grader notes. There is no valid argument for anything below a 9.8.