• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grading Is Broken...Im done.
6 6

202 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, joeypost said:

I’m 59.  My dad made it very simple once I became old enough to work (I was 12 when I stated working for him), you don’t want to work and your bike gets stolen, to bad. You want money to go to the beach or movies with your friends, to bad. 

He taught me to have a strong work ethic even if I didn’t need the money at the time. Being self employed his whole life he always reminded me you never know when you will get your next pay check. 

That's why you always gotta hustle. :headbang:

On 8/30/2022 at 3:49 PM, joeypost said:

my dad made it very simple once I became old enough to work (I was 12 when I stated working for him),

I too also worked with my family at an early age, i hated it very much growing up, i threaten to sue them (which my mom makes fun of me to this day) but a lot of my success in life has been because of that time spent around him/them.

On 8/30/2022 at 3:44 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I guess this would depend on the vocation. In my particular field (food service), I interact mostly with younger generations for employment, and the older generations for support services. What I have observed in both is that older generation workers (delivery drivers, tradesmen, technicians) are far more stable and competent. I rarely see the younger generations work out with any of those support services that we see on a weekly basis. They will get a new delivery driver who is younger than the established employee training them and they maybe last 3 weeks. Younger people are almost impossible to keep as food service workers for whatever reason you want to choose from. I don't think they understand the concept that paying someone $18/hour for $10/hour worth of competency is not how the world can function. There is a disconnect with them as to what "minimum wage" and "entry level" jobs are meant to be. Those are the jobs that teach you skills to earn more money. If you're not willing to learn the baseline skills of being an employee in whatever vocation you are in - then I guess all there is left to do is to whine about how no one pays enough money. 

Every job deserves a living wage. Every single one.

On 8/30/2022 at 3:55 PM, Dr. Balls said:

You are patently incorrect. 18 year olds do not need a living wage. And on the flipside, if you cannot work an entry level job and are not smart enough to gain experience, focus, work ethic and knowledge - the world does not owe those people who cannot function as an employee a "living wage". You are free to think that all you want, but that is an incorrect philosophy for any sort of successful, independent, strong and high-functioning society.

How am I incorrect? Yours is an opinion, as is mine. Minimum wage is a joke.

On 8/30/2022 at 1:45 PM, buttock said:

I'm a physician, we're expected to work long hours and be available because people's health matters.  Newly minted docs are coming out and don't want to take call, don't want to call patients back, don't want to get up early or stay late, don't want to work nights.  It's not all of them, but the trend is there and obvious.  Everyone notices it, but nobody knows how to fix it.  

I understand as a doctor, health doesn't work a 9 to 5, but this honestly sounds like people just not wanting to sacrifice their life to the job.

On 8/30/2022 at 3:59 PM, Prince Namor said:

Now you want to just make stuff up?

I know... it's embarrassing for you. You look silly. You have nothing. You're making a Gen z argument.

"My feelings matter!" 

The only one talking out of their butt is you.

I'm not making anything up. You sound like a d**k, even with your branding of "my feelings matter" as a Gen Z argument.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 8/30/2022 at 4:02 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Minimum wage is just that: the minimum wage required for this job. It's up to the individual to excel in his job to get themselves past minimum wage.

And that's your opinion. I disagree. People shouldn't work 40 hours a week and not be able to match up with the cost of living. I consider your way of thinking old-fashioned and best done away with.

On 8/30/2022 at 1:55 PM, Dr. Balls said:

You are patently incorrect. 18 year olds do not need a living wage. And on the flipside, if you cannot work an entry level job and are not smart enough to gain experience, focus, work ethic and knowledge - the world does not owe those people who cannot function as an employee a "living wage". You are free to think that all you want, but that is an incorrect philosophy for any sort of successful, independent, strong and high-functioning society.

So 18 year old doesn't need a liveable wage to pay for schooling, rent, books, car, etc?

On 8/30/2022 at 4:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That's fair enough. Do you believe there is something wrong with working 60 hours a week? I've not worked 40 hours a week since I got out of high school. 40 hours is kinda like, the minimum amount of work to put into life. Do you honestly believe that you will get anywhere in life only working 40 hours a week?

It's a job, not my life. I'm not giving up my life to work 60 hours a week, and I'm certainly not going to ask others to do the same.

On 8/30/2022 at 3:07 PM, Tnexus said:

So 18 year old doesn't need a liveable wage to pay for schooling, rent, books, car, etc?

No, I do not. Of course, I am speaking with knowledge of where I live, and the cost of living here - which is arguably much less than - say - Florida. 

Get a roommate. Buy used books. Go to a cheaper college. Take mass transit. Buy a bike. Good lord, there are infinite options available to get through life that doesn't involve being paid $25 an hour to say "You want fries with that?"