• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grading Is Broken...Im done.
6 6

202 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2022 at 3:38 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

And (I am a broken record on this topic), all grading companies must be required to submit grader notes. There is no valid argument for anything below a 9.8. 

That's incorrect. You've already been informed of the proper counter-argument.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:25 AM, shadroch said:

A great part of college,for me, was establishing a circle of lifelong friends. Not to be snobbish but I strongly suspect the friends and connections made at the LSDOFP will serve one better than the friends made at Great Falls.  Do you think a young man might benefit more from joining a fraternity/secret society like Skull and Bones at Yale than he would joining Omega Psi Delta at Suffolk Community?  

The school you attend is every bit, if not more important , than what you learn there. Anyone who thinks college is just four years of your life  is very mistaken. 

"It's not what you know, it's who you know"

On 8/27/2022 at 11:33 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I won’t speak for CGC, but this is pretty much the current state of everything everywhere. I am an employer and can tell you that we experience this, and so does every other employer I speak with across many different kinds of employment.

I have zero doubt that they are experiencing the same problems trying to add barely-trainable employees to an already-struggling workforce that is buried with work.

At the risk of sounding like a 49-year old fogey, I will say here what I say to everyone I talk to who complains about this problem:

”It’s the millennials world now - this is how they want it to run. We just live in it.”

I understand this completely as I train new employees. Those that show up for work.

Here is the thing that does bother me. Corporate profits are up WAY up because of the labor shortage. 
If you look at labor costs before Covid and after Covid its staggering how much profit they are now 
pulling in with labor shortages. I was shocked by the difference. 

On 8/30/2022 at 10:37 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

X boomers enable X millennials, just like Y millennials push-back along with Y boomers.

I think it simply took too long for millennials to realize how worthless droves of our generation really are. In our 20's, we thought it was cool to 'take it easy' and live with your parents for awhile, but once you hit your 30's and nothing has changed we start to realize that these people are leeches of societal benefits without providing any benefit to society themselves.

A conversation for another time, but just know that most of us aren't as useless as hasty generalizations may make us seem.

Naw, everyone is useless

On 8/30/2022 at 11:58 AM, fastballspecial said:

I understand this completely as I train new employees. Those that show up for work.

Here is the thing that does bother me. Corporate profits are up WAY up because of the labor shortage. 
If you look at labor costs before Covid and after Covid its staggering how much profit they are now 
pulling in with labor shortages. I was shocked by the difference. 

AND since everything is driven on a corporate level by QoQ and YoY performance the labor 'shortage' (aka underpay / overwork) will continue until everyone is replaced by automation.
Everything begins and ends with the stock price...

On 8/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, buttock said:

Yup.  I busted my hump for 18 years after HS getting training, adding debt, then working for less than minimum wage.  I drove clunkers the whole time hoping that I could get to and fro.  Lived in cheap housing, skimped on frills, pulled more overnight shifts than I ever thought I could survive.  I watched my friends who graduated college get good paying jobs with retirement benefits while I just got more and more debt.  Now I'm making good money and being responsible with it, but apparently I'm "greedy".  But 21 year olds want to be able to buy a house, drive a BMW, and travel to Ibiza every few months right after graduation.  

Good point.
I want to provide another context to this discussion.
Those newly entering the job field kids most likely saw first-hand family or friends loose their home in 2009.
Or saw their parents loose their life savings to the financial crisis.
Or lost someone to a pandemic.
Don't forget about the climate crisis that they will have to live through as a result of decades (before they were born) from corporate and personal pollution.

If you've seen that 'even if you play it safe or by the rules' and everything can still be taken away at the end...why not choose to 'enjoy life to the fullest whilst your young'.
Isn't that what every older person in life has said to someone young whenever they complained about things having to do with growing up.

Edited by Troy.Division

On 8/30/2022 at 11:34 AM, buttock said:

Yup.  I busted my hump for 18 years after HS getting training, adding debt, then working for less than minimum wage.  I drove clunkers the whole time hoping that I could get to and fro.  Lived in cheap housing, skimped on frills, pulled more overnight shifts than I ever thought I could survive.  I watched my friends who graduated college get good paying jobs with retirement benefits while I just got more and more debt.  Now I'm making good money and being responsible with it, but apparently I'm "greedy".  But 21 year olds want to be able to buy a house, drive a BMW, and travel to Ibiza every few months right after graduation.  

Gen X here, and that's a ridiculous generalization of 21-year-olds these days. Oh, and I don't belong to the "I suffered, so everyone should suffer" camp of whiners either.

On 8/30/2022 at 3:04 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Gen X here, and that's a ridiculous generalization of 21-year-olds these days. Oh, and I don't belong to the "I suffered, so everyone should suffer" camp of whiners either.

I'm also a Gen Xer, and while I've worked with my share of entitled Millenials (and younger), I've worked with even more shiftless Boomers.  My sweeping generalizations about the generations would be that the younger folks tend to think that their feelings should matter and be taken into consideration (they shouldn't. Do your job.), whereas with the older employees feel like they should be deferred to simply because they're older (most of them don't know what they're doing either. Do your job.) I've heard younger employees complain about the fact that their input isn't being considered, whereas I've heard older employees complain about having to pretty much anything at all. 

(Of course, as a Gen Xer, I'm keeping the whole thing running single-handedly. :devil:)

And course, I know plenty from both groups of which NONE of that is true. That's the thing about generalizations: they're BS.

On 8/30/2022 at 9:34 AM, buttock said:

But 21 year olds want to be able to live somewhere, be driven, and follow someone who travels to Ibiza every few months.  

You will own nothing. And you will be happy.

"Welcome to the year 2030. Welcome to my city - or should I say, "our city." I don't own anything. I don't own a car. I don't own a house. I don't own any appliances or any clothes.

It might seem odd to you, but it makes perfect sense for us in this city. Everything you considered a product, has now become a service. We have access to transportation, accommodation, food and all the things we need in our daily lives. One by one all these things became free, so it ended up not making sense for us to own much.

Once in a while I get annoyed about the fact that I have no real privacy. Nowhere I can go and not be registered. I know that, somewhere, everything I do, think and dream of is recorded. I just hope that nobody will use it against me.

All in all, it is a good life." 

On 8/30/2022 at 2:04 PM, Dr. Love said:

You will own nothing. And you will be happy.

"Welcome to the year 2030. Welcome to my city - or should I say, "our city." I don't own anything. I don't own a car. I don't own a house. I don't own any appliances or any clothes.

It might seem odd to you, but it makes perfect sense for us in this city. Everything you considered a product, has now become a service. We have access to transportation, accommodation, food and all the things we need in our daily lives. One by one all these things became free, so it ended up not making sense for us to own much.

Once in a while I get annoyed about the fact that I have no real privacy. Nowhere I can go and not be registered. I know that, somewhere, everything I do, think and dream of is recorded. I just hope that nobody will use it against me.

All in all, it is a good life." 

And you eat bugs.  

On 8/30/2022 at 3:39 PM, F For Fake said:

I'm also a Gen Xer, and while I've worked with my share of entitled Millenials (and younger), I've worked with even more shiftless Boomers.  My sweeping generalizations about the generations would be that the younger folks tend to think that their feelings should matter and be taken into consideration (they shouldn't. Do your job.), whereas with the older employees feel like they should be deferred to simply because they're older

i.e. Boomers who are lazy at least UNDERSTAND that they're a lazy POS, whereas the younger generation thinks they're entitled to have everything without working for it. (:

On 8/30/2022 at 4:14 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Oh please. I’ve seen far more clueless individuals in the older generations.

I've hired 18-25 year olds for 35 years. 

What's your criteria based on?

On 8/30/2022 at 4:14 PM, Lord Gemini said:

I don’t believe your account is not biased and skewed for a second.

I have no reason to skew it, otherwise I'd pick on millennials too.

To me, it doesn't matter WHO you are. Do the job. Get respect. 

Gen-Zers? Haven't seen it. 

On 8/30/2022 at 4:16 PM, Prince Namor said:

i.e. Boomers who are lazy at least UNDERSTAND that they're a lazy POS, whereas the younger generation thinks they're entitled to have everything without working for it. (:

We have entire swaths of people across all generations who have been conditioned to think if they don't get what they want or can't succeed, then they must be a victim of (insert "ism" here) and are so thus entitled because of their victimhood regardless of how their own choices and efforts have affected their outcome. 

On 8/30/2022 at 3:21 PM, Prince Namor said:

I've hired 18-25 year olds for 35 years. 

What's your criteria based on?

I have no reason to skew it, otherwise I'd pick on millennials too.

To me, it doesn't matter WHO you are. Do the job. Get respect. 

Gen-Zers? Haven't seen it. 

Your whole post reads like the stereotypical ramblings of an entitled boomer. Frankly, I don’t believe a word you say, and I would understand why people don’t care about your respect.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 8/30/2022 at 4:23 PM, Jaylam said:

We have entire swaths of people across all generations who have been conditioned to think if they don't get what they want or can't succeed, then they must be a victim of (insert "ism" here) and are so thus entitled because of their victimhood regardless of how their own choices and efforts have affected their outcome. 

Yeah, the thought process presented here is NOT: GenZers suck - everyone else doesn't. 

There are lazy people in all groups.

As a whole, based on the ones I'VE worked with, this generation is a tragic misstep in the wrong direction.