• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grading Is Broken...Im done.
6 6

202 posts in this topic

What's even more frustrating is that with the last 2 batches where only 1 book was graded at 9.8, you'd think that this newbie grader would pick the most pristine 9.9 looking copy to bestow the 9.8 grade to. However,  in the both cases, it was a book I had assigned a 9.4/9.6 grade to, since it had a couple of minor color breaking creases. Out of all the slam dunk 9.8 copies in these submissions, you'd think they'd at least pick a book that made sense. My guess is that these new graders are spending very little time inspecting or researching books for production type errors. Instead, they're doing a quick glance over, and if the book looks perfect, then they'll give it a 9.6 grade (just in case they missed something with their quick inspection). When they get to the end and haven't assigned a single 9.8 grade, they just pick a copy at random (or maybe a cover they like) to assign the 9.8 grade to. 

Edited by skybolt

On 8/27/2022 at 9:33 AM, Dr. Balls said:

At the risk of sounding like a 49-year old fogey, I will say here what I say to everyone I talk to who complains about this problem:

”It’s the millennials world now - this is how they want it to run. We just live in it.”

tumblr_oby5brV38Q1vbe7guo1_1280.jpg.b6b9a2059dd0cce39c541e0613928915.jpg.dd73b51d05972aee10f93f05e6431045.jpg

On 8/28/2022 at 12:33 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I won’t speak for CGC, but this is pretty much the current state of everything everywhere. I am an employer and can tell you that we experience this, and so does every other employer I speak with across many different kinds of employment.

I have zero doubt that they are experiencing the same problems trying to add barely-trainable employees to an already-struggling workforce that is buried with work.

At the risk of sounding like a 49-year old fogey, I will say here what I say to everyone I talk to who complains about this problem:

”It’s the millennials world now - this is how they want it to run. We just live in it.”

Edited by MGH

As concerns modern grading, my last two submissions, one of 35 and the other of 30 comic books, 57 were graded 9.8, 5 at 9.6, and 3 at 9.4. Regarding the 9.6, I only agree with one of those, believing the other four are 9.8. I believe all the 9.4 are 9.8. Despite what I believe, as they say, "it is what it is."

I have never, and may never, resubmit a comic book I submitted for regrading, especially since these are all for my collection as have been all the comic books I have submitted. I may sell them, or some of them, in the "distant" future.

I'll submit again in the coming (comic?) weeks and, once again, play the "CGC Grading Game."

On 8/27/2022 at 6:04 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I am not sympathetic to that whatsoever. There's always cheaper universities - brainwashing impressionable young people into thinking they need to go to specific schools is one of the major issues with school debt, not to mention there is seemingly no limit to the amount of debt for school loans you can take out. That is a new concept within the past 20 years. In our city, there are two colleges where you can get a four-year degree for $15-$24k. Think that degree from Great Falls College won't stack up against Lower San Deigo School of Fancy People? Guess again - HR doesn't care where your degree is from as long as you have it for the job requirement. Employers are less focused on what school is on your degree and more concerned with what skills, experience, and knowledge. Somewhere along the line, people felt they had a gun held to their head about paying out the nose for tuition. You can still go to school, get a job to pay it off and get a degree without gaining 20 years of debt - regardless of how bad everyone wants you to believe that's not the case.

A great part of college,for me, was establishing a circle of lifelong friends. Not to be snobbish but I strongly suspect the friends and connections made at the LSDOFP will serve one better than the friends made at Great Falls.  Do you think a young man might benefit more from joining a fraternity/secret society like Skull and Bones at Yale than he would joining Omega Psi Delta at Suffolk Community?  

The school you attend is every bit, if not more important , than what you learn there. Anyone who thinks college is just four years of your life  is very mistaken. 

On 8/28/2022 at 8:54 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

In my experience, the benefit of a top tier school is the networking, not the actual education. A few years out of "state college," I worked on Wall Street and most of my colleagues were Ivy League educated. They weren't any smarter than me and didn't do a better job than me. But they had connections and got promoted much faster. They spent Saturdays golfing in Connecticut with their Dad's friends: CEOs and judges. I spent Saturdays fishing with my dad. <3   I've done ok and I wouldn't trade my younger days for anything... especially not a few dollars more.

That said, the gap has become so wide between private and public schools, I doubt it's worth the difference. A state school education + strong work ethic + emotional intelligence and you will do just fine. 

Access to the network may well be worth the price of admission.  It's certainly a factor that should be carefully considered.

On 8/29/2022 at 4:36 PM, jcjames said:

Funny meme! 

But I don't get it - maybe I'm looking at something differently.

So instead of taking a $15-$17/hr job because it doesn't pay enough right now... what does that person who needs work do then? Not work? Hold out for a management position?

I guess I'm missing something.

Rent has jacked up everywhere and incomes haven't kept up for quite a while. Yeah, that's very true, and it's far worse in many areas than others. But young people still need to work don't they? Do they make mistakes and do a schlitty job on purpose to "stick it to the man" for not paying them enough? 

You mentioned skilled factory jobs, well those disappeared a generation ago when it was discovered that people didn't care if it shut down a whole town in Michigan or Ohio to buy cheaper widgets made overseas. Now we have the opposite idea - that companies should increase wages for all workers, which means increasing prices across the board. Cutting CEO raises to offset worker raises would be a drop in the bucket in most cases. For example, Walmart's CEO got a $3million salary increase a year ago, so if that were spread among all the Walmart employees instead, each employee would get $1.15 per year more.  

So if folks want higher quality workers at CGC, they'll have to pay significantly more per slab to pay for those higher-priced employees.

And maybe that's what it will take! 

You're right. I agree that those that don't want to work whatsoever or those that work at a place they hate and treat people terrible because of it are an issue. What I've found from most people is they've found something they can do to make side money so they don't work at one of these $15/hour jobs. I know multiple people driving for Uber Eats or a delivery service of some kind that make $20+/hour. I think they've decided they'd rather have the freedom instead of working for a company that will never appreciate them. It's a weird time in history. I hope things eventually level but I don't see it heading in that direction.

On 8/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, Dr. Balls said:

It’s not taboo anymore to not have a job. Or a goal. Or direction. No one expects young people to have it all figured out, but it’s pretty universal that the older generations know that you’ll never figure anything out standing in one place. I think therein lies the pushback from the Xers and Boomers.

X boomers enable X millennials, just like Y millennials push-back along with Y boomers.

I think it simply took too long for millennials to realize how worthless droves of our generation really are. In our 20's, we thought it was cool to 'take it easy' and live with your parents for awhile, but once you hit your 30's and nothing has changed we start to realize that these people are leeches of societal benefits without providing any benefit to society themselves.

A conversation for another time, but just know that most of us aren't as useless as hasty generalizations may make us seem.