• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grading Is Broken...Im done.
6 6

202 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2022 at 4:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

It's just as skewed as those pop psychology articles. We cherry pick data to support our arguments. This whole thread is skewed to personal beliefs - don't start claiming that as a caveat now!

You believing it's "pop psychology" doesn't make it any less true. I'll trust their results over your impressions every time.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 8/30/2022 at 3:23 PM, Lord Gemini said:

How many people do you truly believe enjoy their job? I doubt a majority do.

I know all sorts of people who truly enjoy their job. I've worked a great many places in my life and can count two times I hated my job. It's not that hard to enjoy what you do for a living. Sure, there are tough days or difficult people to deal with - but come on, I don't think the vast majority of everyone hates their job. People's situations are not as dire as you might think they are.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, jsilverjanet said:

this is the big disconnect

anything more than the norm is looked at giving up my life = impacting my happiness

I just think you're in for a rude awaking

as the great Don Draper said "But what is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." The goal can never be reached, because it is, by definition, unreachable. A moment of happiness is just that: a moment."

No, the rude awakening is for the employers who will have to learn that they can't get by offering slave wages anymore.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:29 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I know all sorts of people who truly enjoy their job. I've worked a great many places in my life and can count two times I hated my job. It's not that hard to enjoy what you do for a living. Sure, there are tough days or difficult people to deal with - but come on, I don't think the vast majority of everyone hates their job. People's situations are not as dire as you might think they are.

More anecdotal evidence.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:26 PM, Dr. Balls said:

It's just as skewed as those pop psychology articles. We cherry pick data to support our arguments. This whole thread is skewed to personal beliefs - don't start claiming that as a caveat now!

He's Gen Zing. "This is the result I want - how can I make the information support my argument?"

It's the opposite mentality of how hypothesis works. It's a Millennial thing. 

"I WANT this to be true. I only accept THIS thought process so that it will be true."

"Any other information, real or not, must be rejected as 'fake'"

THIS is why I beg the smart ones to go get their mental health degrees. In 10 years (or less) it's going to get scary.

On 8/30/2022 at 3:28 PM, Lord Gemini said:

You believing it's "pop psychology" doesn't make it any less true. I'll trust their results over your impressions every time.

Oh please. Stop with the "I trust Hitler over you, you big meanie!" You don't know me from - start remembering that.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:19 PM, Lord Gemini said:

I think a job is a job. If I'm working, I expect decent pay, not having to bend over backwards and work extra because my employer wants to exploit me. That goes for me at 18 or me at 46 now. Being a slave to a job is an outdated notion.

You must be a beacon of positive vibes around the water cooler. :kidaround:

On 8/30/2022 at 3:29 PM, Lord Gemini said:

No, the rude awakening is for the employers who will have to learn that they can't get by offering slave wages anymore.

Ok, well - I've tried to have a cogent discussion. Time to check out. I truly hope you take a look at what you do for a living and find something else. To go through the misery you are going through is not good at all. People the world over love what they do for 8+ hour a day, and if you're not one of them - dust off that resume and start looking for something you like. If you're 46, you're going to be working for another 40 years, I hope you find something you enjoy doing.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:27 PM, jsilverjanet said:

this is the big disconnect

anything more than the norm is looked at giving up my life = impacting my happiness

I just think you're in for a rude awaking

as the great Don Draper said "But what is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." The goal can never be reached, because it is, by definition, unreachable. A moment of happiness is just that: a moment."

Look at Robin Williams 

Guy had the world by the behind, killed himself

On 8/30/2022 at 4:32 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Ok, well - I've tried to have a cogent discussion. Time to check out. I truly hope you take a look at what you do for a living and find something else. To go through the misery you are going through is not good at all. People the world over love what they do for 8+ hour a day, and if you're not one of them - dust off that resume and start looking for something you like. If you're 46, you're going to be working for another 40 years, I hope you find something you enjoy doing.

Cogent? Please. Throwing out a bunch of outdated nonsense and ignoring the reality of today is far from cogent.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:32 PM, jsilverjanet said:

good luck with that idea

and for the record "slave" wages is a poor argument

slaves weren't paid and this concept that you consider "modern slavery" is nothing compared to what happened before or what happens in 3rd world countries

For the record, your viewpoint means nothing to me.

here's the other thing to keep in mind, while you may not want to work that job for those wages, there are 10 people behind you that do, and will

whether here or elsewhere

that train is going to leave the station quick

before you know it, it will be too late to get on it