• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grading Is Broken...Im done.
6 6

202 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2022 at 3:11 PM, Lord Gemini said:

It's a job, not my life. I'm not giving up my life to work 60 hours a week, and I'm certainly not going to ask others to do the same.

But without that job, you have no means to pay for your life - don't you think that in your early years spending more than the average amount of time learning your trade or simply being a good worker would be worth the eventual payout?

On 8/30/2022 at 2:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That's fair enough. Do you believe there is something wrong with working 60 hours a week? I've not worked 40 hours a week since I got out of high school. 40 hours is kinda like, the minimum amount of work to put into life. Do you honestly believe that you will get anywhere in life only working 40 hours a week?

Have you not read any of the numerous stories correlating happiness with working less hours? 

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/02/shorter-workweek-people-happier

On 8/30/2022 at 3:12 PM, Gaard said:

<--- Boomer here.

You get paid for the work you do. You don't work according to your pay. That's not right.

+1

<----Gen Xer here and my Boomer dad taught me:

Hard work is it's own reward. 

I don't expect everyone to adhere to that philosophy, but it helps with motivation.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:43 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I was watching a tv show and the adult was yelling and threatening the staff, the young staff looked at him and said that doesn't work with our generation. studies show blah blah blah

I was completely taken back by that situation, but it appears to be common now

I'm gen X and yelling at me only caused me to not care and quit

On 8/30/2022 at 4:13 PM, Dr. Balls said:

But without that job, you have no means to pay for your life - don't you think that in your early years spending more than the average amount of time learning your trade or simply being a good worker would be worth the eventual payout?

I think a job is a job. If I'm working, I expect decent pay, not having to bend over backwards and work extra because my employer wants to exploit me. That goes for me at 18 or me at 46 now. Being a slave to a job is an outdated notion.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:17 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That's pop psychology mumbo jumbo for people who hate their jobs. Having purpose in life and enjoying work is a journey and a goal - it's up to people to find it. Working long hours at a job you hate would clearly suck - but it's still up to you to either: A) find that job you don't hate or B) find a way to love the challenges of your job. Take accountability for your own happiness, don't expect the employer to do it for you. That's lazy.

Pop psychology mumbo jumbo? Nah, you just don't want to believe it.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

What does living wage mean? The means to raise a family, buy a house, buy a car and save?

If so, what is the incentive to work hard and excel if every low level non-skilled job was subsidized?

At one time, jobs at the McDonalds drive through and Kwikee Mart were meant for high school kids scrapping for extra bucks for movie night. When did a McDonalds drive through worker become an appropriate job for a breadwinner of a family? What the hell happened to create this type of thinking? ???

I'm wondering what the hell happened to create the type of thinking that a worker shouldn't be able to afford the basic necessities of life when they put in a full week's work. Your viewpoint is frankly ridiculous to me.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:20 PM, COI said:

A "successful, independent, strong and high functioning society", in your mind, allows people who were not endowed with with enough intelligence to move up the employment hierarchy to fall through the cracks? Someone who, by dint of circumstance - as in, losing the genetic lottery - is unable to compete within your conception of society, but is nevertheless willing to put in their 8 hours to do what they can, should not be given a living wage in exchange for that time?

I'm asking here, not trying to antagonize. I understand both sides of the minimum wage argument, but I'd like to hear how your philosophy for "a successful, independent, strong and high functioning society" brings people of more limited capacities into the fold.

Wal Mart greeter, bless them

On 8/30/2022 at 3:19 PM, Lord Gemini said:

I think a job is a job. If I'm working, I expect decent pay, not having to bend over backwards and work extra because my employer wants to exploit me. That goes for me at 18 or me at 46 now. Being a slave to a job is an outdated notion.

Well, I truly feel bad if you think your employer is exploiting you. And I feel bad if your employer is actually exploiting you. That is not the purpose of employment. Sure, sure, I may be talking unrealistically - and there will always be friction between employees and employers - but I do believe for a business to function, everyone has to enjoy the job, or the challenge of the job, or the end result of having that job. If you don't have that, all the short work weeks in the world won't help you - because you'll always hate every aspect of the job.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Well, I truly feel bad if you think your employer is exploiting you. And I feel bad if your employer is actually exploiting you. That is not the purpose of employment. Sure, sure, I may be talking unrealistically - and there will always be friction between employees and employers - but I do believe for a business to function, everyone has to enjoy the job, or the challenge of the job, or the end result of having that job. If you don't have that, all the short work weeks in the world won't help you - because you'll always hate every aspect of the job.

How many people do you truly believe enjoy their job? I doubt a majority do.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:22 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Its the parents fault

On 8/30/2022 at 3:20 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Pop psychology mumbo jumbo? Nah, you just don't want to believe it.

For me personally, I don't believe. It's not about want, it's about empirical data of all the people I have encountered in my life. The people who work longer-than-average either for themselves or for an employer are much happier with their life than the ones who live to punch the clock. Even those who work for others tend to gravitate to success in their own way, usually on their own after working for someone else. That's my perspective.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/30/2022 at 4:24 PM, Dr. Balls said:

For me personally, I don't believe. It's not about want, it's about empirical data of all the people I have encountered in my life. The people who work longer-than-average either for themselves or for an employer are much happier with their life than the ones who live to punch the clock. That's my perspective.

Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant and skewed by the observer.

On 8/30/2022 at 3:25 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant and skewed by the observer.

It's just as skewed as those pop psychology articles. We cherry pick data to support our arguments. This whole thread is skewed to personal beliefs - don't start claiming that as a caveat now!