• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grading Is Broken...Im done.
6 6

202 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2022 at 5:30 PM, Prince Namor said:

He's Gen Zing. "This is the result I want - how can I make the information support my argument?"

It's the opposite mentality of how hypothesis works. It's a Millennial thing. 

"I WANT this to be true. I only accept THIS thought process so that it will be true."

"Any other information, real or not, must be rejected as 'fake'"

THIS is why I beg the smart ones to go get their mental health degrees. In 10 years (or less) it's going to get scary.

It's not a millennial thing, it's a human thing. We all do it, but we only ever notice the "other side" of whatever thing we're arguing do it.

I don't agree with him, but let's be fair here. We're all biased one way or another, because that's how our brains work. How the bias manifests depends on a number of things, like temperament, maturity, self-awareness, etc. Confirmation bias is built into the system, and it takes a tremendous amount of effort to work against it.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:36 PM, jsilverjanet said:

here's the other thing to keep in mind, while you may not want to work that job for those wages, there are 10 people behind you that do, and will

whether here or elsewhere

that train is going to leave the station quick

before you know it, it will be too late to get on it

That doesn't seem to be the case these days with the labor shortage, does it?

On 8/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I know all sorts of people who truly enjoy their job. I've worked a great many places in my life and can count two times I hated my job. It's not that hard to enjoy what you do for a living. Sure, there are tough days or difficult people to deal with - but come on, I don't think the vast majority of everyone hates their job. People's situations are not as dire as you might think they are.

Everyone gripes about their job or boss from time to time. Who doesn't want to make more? But I truly believe most people enjoy the people they work with and feel some sense of accomplishment or appreciation at the end of the day.  That is what makes or breaks a job. 

If you are miserable all the time and feel exploited, that is a YOU problem, not a societal problem. Time to get another job or work for yourself. 

On 8/30/2022 at 4:30 PM, Prince Namor said:

He's Gen Zing. "This is the result I want - how can I make the information support my argument?"

It's the opposite mentality of how hypothesis works. It's a Millennial thing. 

"I WANT this to be true. I only accept THIS thought process so that it will be true."

"Any other information, real or not, must be rejected as 'fake'"

THIS is why I beg the smart ones to go get their mental health degrees. In 10 years (or less) it's going to get scary.

You have zero evidence this is the case. You just want to be right despite what science says.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:39 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Everyone gripes about their job or boss from time to time. Who doesn't want to make more? But I truly believe most people enjoy the people they work with and feel some sense of accomplishment or appreciation at the end of the day.  That is what makes or breaks a job. 

If you are miserable all the time and feel exploited, that is a YOU problem, not a societal problem. Time to get another job or work for yourself. 

Yeah, we shouldn't hold those doing the exploiting accountable at all, huh?

On 8/30/2022 at 5:40 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Yeah, we shouldn't hold those doing the exploiting accountable at all, huh?

I sense your idea of "exploitation" may be different than others. I worked crappy jobs with low pay and awful bosses. I didn't whine about being "exploited." I just got a new job that made me happier. You choose to be happy or not. 

Edited by Mr. Zipper

On 8/30/2022 at 4:43 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

I sense your idea of "exploitation" may be different than others. I worked crappy jobs with low pay and awful bosses. I didn't whine about being "exploited." I just got a new job that made me happier. You chose to be happy or not. 

And I sense that you like blaming the victim when you can.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:36 PM, COI said:

It's not a millennial thing, it's a human thing. We all do it, but we only ever notice the "other side" of whatever thing we're arguing do it.

Sure. We all person_without_enough_empathy about having to get up and go to work in the morning. It's a human thing.

Some of us still do it. And then some make excuses. 

On 8/30/2022 at 5:36 PM, COI said:

I don't agree with him, but let's be fair here. We're all biased one way or another, because that's how our brains work. How the bias manifests depends on a number of things, like temperament, maturity, self-awareness, etc. Confirmation bias is built into the system, and it takes a tremendous amount of effort to work against it.

My bias was based upon 35 years of working with 18-25 year olds. That's a big pool of samples.

His was based upon talking to people. 

What people SAY and what people DO are very often very different. Especially when it comes to work. 

Now he ASSUMED I'm a d**k, because of how I dealt with HIM. But as I said, even in the case of the employee whose conversation I shared - I gave her over a year of going through that - I understand its not always glamorous or as profitable or what someone WANTS to do. But JHC on a Popsicle stick - poop, pee or get off the pot. You want the job or not?

I hear about labor shortage in America - I DON'T have one where I'm at. What I do have is a shortage of people who have a CLUE.

The system sucks. It's the canvas we have. Make the most of it. Or don't. (shrug)

On 8/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, The Meta said:

Well, I have this thing, I think its called "reading a room"

My parents and grandparents called it common sense, I think

As for myself, yeah, there is nothing about you worth respecting

The feeling is mutual.