• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd Mcfarlane Private Signing?
12 12

792 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2022 at 5:30 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:
On 12/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, Gator Guru said:

seeing lots of 9.2, 9.4 and 9.6 books being sold as a Buy It Now on Ebay for way less than the $120 signature cost. I still don't understand why so many people sent their books off unless they had a real shot at a 9.8 on a key, rare book like #300, #301, etc. CGC really marketed the heck out of this event.

most of the submissions are going to be for people that want to keep the books in their collections

there are probably more signed McFarlane books out there unsigned :nyah:

Yet this is why I wasn't worried about the market "flooding". Thoughts on this are, most books took a rise, I'm not sure if the "scarcer" stuff was affordable before the signing.

I'm not thinking it'll be flooded with stuff for sale, but stuff on the census and therefore in collections, perhaps.

I tried to save a coyote for mcfarlane that looked nice from the $1 bins, but really mcfarlane only skipped one year (which seemed like longer) and its gone. Hard to believe the things I've traded to the LCS, now that I think about it lol

I must not have packaged the lots for the lcs right for what I got in return lol

rantrant  :roflmao:

On 12/12/2022 at 3:39 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

"Received at CCS" does not mean the books have been signed

that is the initial status for books that have pressing services with CCS when first received by CGC

when the book is actually signed and pressed it will move to "Scheduled for Grading" status

hope that helps 

My submission has said “Scheduled for Grading” ever since it showed up in their system on 11/18. 

Edited by Plvnet

It could be too many people thinking their modern Spawn is a 9.8 then find out it's not after getting it signed at cgc. It becomes a choice between keeping a low value book or eating a loss to at least recover some of the money you got suckered into spending. Haven't seen too many of his signed ASMs lower than 9.8 fail to cover the fee. Haven't seen it yet with the 1990 series or early Spawn stuff either, at least according to GPA. I do suspect if there's going to be negative impact from market flooding it may show up in ASM 300 below 9.8 and Spider-man 1 silver and gold editions for all grades. 

On 12/12/2022 at 9:42 PM, Plvnet said:

My submission has said “Scheduled for Grading” ever since it showed up in their system on 11/18. 

That probably means it won't be pressed, I'd double check if that is supposed to be that way? That means cgc has it, rather than the pressing service at cgc. Since cgc has it once it is Signed and is about to be graded the tracking will go to something called GEI, which stands for grading/encapsulation/imaging, that means it would have "started the process of grading." :)

When it goes to GEI :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/12/2022 at 3:21 PM, Gator Guru said:

I'm seeing lots of 9.2, 9.4 and 9.6 books being sold as a Buy It Now on Ebay for way less than the $120 signature cost. I still don't understand why so many people sent their books off unless they had a real shot at a 9.8 on a key, rare book like #300, #301, etc. CGC really marketed the heck out of this event.

Im hoping to get a spawn 1 that way ..someone who hates the grade and wants to get rid of it 

On 12/12/2022 at 6:21 PM, Gator Guru said:

I'm seeing lots of 9.2, 9.4 and 9.6 books being sold as a Buy It Now on Ebay for way less than the $120 signature cost. I still don't understand why so many people sent their books off unless they had a real shot at a 9.8 on a key, rare book like #300, #301, etc. CGC really marketed the heck out of this event.

I sent my asm 300 in hopen that i could press it into a 9.2... which it got.

I was thrilled. This was my personal copy that i got and read as a kid. By my estimation it was 8.5 to 9.0 range before pressing.

Would i like it to be 9.8, sure... but it wasnt in the cards. i wont be selling it either. It can sit next to my cgc 9.2 newstand copy of asm 300.

I will say i gambled on spawn #1. I have 4 copies. A cgc 9.8, a cgc ss 9.8, the loose copy i got in 1992 to read and the loose copy i got in 1992 to save.

Sent in my saved copy in hopes of 9.8. Thought it would get it based on the criteria, but i second guessed myself alot and more than once, thought i shoulda sent in the cgc 9.8 to crack open.

Worked out in the end. Im happy with my $300 ish cost

20221213_001216.thumb.jpg.67d3434da5eada12ca6dd689eacb28e4.jpg

Edited by ShaggyB

On 12/12/2022 at 9:06 PM, ShaggyB said:

I sent my asm 300 in hopen that i could press it into a 9.2... which it got.

I was thrilled. This was my personal copy that i got and read as a kid. By my estimation it was 8.5 to 9.0 range before pressing.

Would i like it to be 9.8, sure... but it wasnt in the cards. i wont be selling it either. It can sit next to my cgc 9.2 newstand copy of asm 300.

I will say i gambled on spawn #1. I have 4 copies. A cgc 9.8, a cgc ss 9.8, the loose copy i got in 1992 to read and the loose copy i got in 1992 to save.

Sent in my saved copy in hopes of 9.8. Thought it would get it based on the criteria, but i second guessed myself alot and more than once, thought i shoulda sent in the cgc 9.8 to crack open.

Worked out in the end. Im happy with my $300 ish cost

20221213_001216.thumb.jpg.67d3434da5eada12ca6dd689eacb28e4.jpg

Love that story - I have an ASM 300 9.0 that’s similar though not signed. congrats on the turnout on the spawns man!

Sent in a few books for this event and I have really been enjoying this thread and the whole McFarlane SS buildup & execution. Bravo CGC Team & Todd and everyone posting. This was a BIG first for me, and I did learn a lot of do’s & dont’s for the next time. First time submitting, shipping, signature series, CCS pressing, etc.

I can firmly state that I am not really interested in the monetary value of the final slabs I submitted. But we all know that’s not entirely true. Even though I am a collector and covet my prized possessions, there’s no fooling that most of these comics were acquired for long term collectibility and growth in value.

So here’s my question….Was the price of the SS & grading/pressing worth it? For me, no…..but for very different reasons. Let me start by saying that I’m older and have no reservations spending top dollar to get a TM signature and CGC grading without even having to put on pants. Great product & service. Take my money. This time around, I actually really regret not going to a comic con, waiting in line, meeting the artist and watching them sign MY comic. The SS process lost its romance for me, and I don't know how I’ll look at that slab every day in my display and feel the same about other stuff on the wall. All my other autographs were signed in person & I interacted with greats like Stan Lee, Jim Lee & the usual suspects from the early 90’s. I know full well that those signatures aren’t valid to anyone else, but they sure are to me. I was there!

There will be a sense of accomplishment and sadness when I get my ASM #300 Newsstand back from CCS. It was never gonna be anywhere near a 9.8, and I’m prepared for the final grade….gulp…. What’s cool is that I purchased these comics 30+ years ago, waiting for my chance to get them autographed. Its amazing that the 11 year old me knew to preserve these pieces of history through years of life changes, puberty, substances, new addresses, hurricanes, floods, marriage, kids, etc. Especially when EVERYONE around you tells you to unload your collection.

Can anyone else relate to this?

Spawn #1 came in at 9.0 BTW. Ouch, lol.

On 12/13/2022 at 11:09 AM, AntonV said:

Sent in a few books for this event and I have really been enjoying this thread and the whole McFarlane SS buildup & execution. Bravo CGC Team & Todd and everyone posting. This was a BIG first for me, and I did learn a lot of do’s & dont’s for the next time. First time submitting, shipping, signature series, CCS pressing, etc.

I can firmly state that I am not really interested in the monetary value of the final slabs I submitted. But we all know that’s not entirely true. Even though I am a collector and covet my prized possessions, there’s no fooling that most of these comics were acquired for long term collectibility and growth in value.

So here’s my question….Was the price of the SS & grading/pressing worth it? For me, no…..but for very different reasons. Let me start by saying that I’m older and have no reservations spending top dollar to get a TM signature and CGC grading without even having to put on pants. Great product & service. Take my money. This time around, I actually really regret not going to a comic con, waiting in line, meeting the artist and watching them sign MY comic. The SS process lost its romance for me, and I don't know how I’ll look at that slab every day in my display and feel the same about other stuff on the wall. All my other autographs were signed in person & I interacted with greats like Stan Lee, Jim Lee & the usual suspects from the early 90’s. I know full well that those signatures aren’t valid to anyone else, but they sure are to me. I was there!

There will be a sense of accomplishment and sadness when I get my ASM #300 Newsstand back from CCS. It was never gonna be anywhere near a 9.8, and I’m prepared for the final grade….gulp…. What’s cool is that I purchased these comics 30+ years ago, waiting for my chance to get them autographed. Its amazing that the 11 year old me knew to preserve these pieces of history through years of life changes, puberty, substances, new addresses, hurricanes, floods, marriage, kids, etc. Especially when EVERYONE around you tells you to unload your collection.

I understand your regret, on the other hand ask yourself, DID YOU WANT A CGC AUTHENTICATED SIGNATURE IN A CASE WITH A GRADE AND RESTORATION CHECK?

because....

UP TO THIS POINT, Todd hasn't done that at conventions in person.

long story short, he'll sign at comic con, but it is not "authenticated" so you have your story of it and that is it, no proof to anyone else, which "could" mean enough to you :cheers:

However, with these inhouse signing, no it isn't "in person", but you get all of the above otherwise, with authentication.

I know there may not be a "perfect situation", but thems' the breaks? lol I'm sure you'll eventually appreciate it, but as a new to CGC authentication, I didn't know if you were AWARE of it all. You couldn't have got what you got "in person" and that goes back to at least 2016

On 12/13/2022 at 12:09 PM, AntonV said:

Things to note.

1. If you are in it for value... only send the highest quality book or ones that even low grade are good value.

2. Be overly critical of your books.

Example from above. I had a cgc 9.8 spawn #1, an already signed 9.8 cgc ss spawn #1 and 2 loose copies. I went with the one i never opened that was loose because i felt it could get 9.8. Where as the still loose copy i have has three spine stress marks with 1 having a color break. According to cgc standards thats 9.4 likely. Possibly 9.6 if im lucky and possibly a 9.2 if im not being critical enough.

i went with the unopened/never handled copy i had. I opened it to make sure no tears, the pull out poster was still there and in good shape and that it was a first print. Took some pics and then i packed it up.

3. Be willing to be good with what you get. If you want 9.8 or bust.... either know your book is top notch or be ready to buy it on ebay, either signed or unsigned to send in.

4. The trade off. Cgc ss service gets you the garunteed collectible. The trade off is you arent there to be a part of it. If meeting X signer is more important than future value of certified comic and signature, opt for convention. You can always get the green label and know you met them and it was X's signature

i have a dynamic forces spawn/batman with frank millers signature numbered.... its also cgc ss with Todd's signature. So i know its Frank's signature because it was part of the DF signing event sale, but its in a yellow with green case and i have the COA in a bag with it

20221212_094835.thumb.jpg.af5909b2ca25dc44eed1eba76b6056f9.jpg

Wow, that's a really awesome book & set of signatures. I never thought about SS from a multi signature standpoint. I should have sent that book in. Completely forgot about that pair of books. 

Thanks for the insight everyone. Definitely gives me a different perspective now.

On 12/13/2022 at 2:40 PM, AntonV said:

Wow, that's a really awesome book & set of signatures. I never thought about SS from a multi signature standpoint. I should have sent that book in. Completely forgot about that pair of books. 

Thanks for the insight everyone. Definitely gives me a different perspective now.

Lol idk if I made the "correct" point, but Todd doesn't do witnessed cgc signatures in person at a comic con, only inhouse signing or through other facilitators. (thumbsu

Hell sign at a con but keep the book raw and you do it to talk to him for 90 seconds, but he is pretty personable. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, ShaggyB said:

Things to note.

1. If you are in it for value... only send the highest quality book or ones that even low grade are good value.

2. Be overly critical of your books.

Example from above. I had a cgc 9.8 spawn #1, an already signed 9.8 cgc ss spawn #1 and 2 loose copies. I went with the one i never opened that was loose because i felt it could get 9.8. Where as the still loose copy i have has three spine stress marks with 1 having a color break. According to cgc standards thats 9.4 likely. Possibly 9.6 if im lucky and possibly a 9.2 if im not being critical enough.

i went with the unopened/never handled copy i had. I opened it to make sure no tears, the pull out poster was still there and in good shape and that it was a first print. Took some pics and then i packed it up.

3. Be willing to be good with what you get. If you want 9.8 or bust.... either know your book is top notch or be ready to buy it on ebay, either signed or unsigned to send in.

4. The trade off. Cgc ss service gets you the garunteed collectible. The trade off is you arent there to be a part of it. If meeting X signer is more important than future value of certified comic and signature, opt for convention. You can always get the green label and know you met them and it was X's signature

i have a dynamic forces spawn/batman with frank millers signature numbered.... its also cgc ss with Todd's signature. So i know its Frank's signature because it was part of the DF signing event sale, but its in a yellow with green case and i have the COA in a bag with it

20221212_094835.thumb.jpg.af5909b2ca25dc44eed1eba76b6056f9.jpg

That book, signature and label look great!

On 12/13/2022 at 3:40 PM, AntonV said:

Here is an example of what one might look like if you had ASM 300 and went and got it signed and then submitted for grading afterwards... aka no signature series.

Screenshot_20221213_155804_eBay.thumb.jpg.560499c56f319000cf5c48b5ba7624fc.jpg

Just a random ebay find for example pic.

I only own one true green label, besides the yellow/green spawn/batman, and im having it reholdered currently as its the original label style. It was a mail away signed book from Wizard Magazine with COA. So i know its a legit signature of an artist who has passed away.

20220512_004344.thumb.jpg.08e106701f6222c8f90a127ec5317b9d.jpg

Edited by ShaggyB