• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd Mcfarlane Private Signing?
11 11

792 posts in this topic

So my ME slab (for misprinted Mcfarlane banner) was delivered/accepted to CGC on Dec 5th but still no official submission. Is there a reason (other than they just haven't opened it yet) why this is taking so long to be opened and submitted? I placed the ME initials all over the box

original submission number 4127057

@CGC Mike

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 12/13/2022 at 11:09 AM, AntonV said:

Sent in a few books for this event and I have really been enjoying this thread and the whole McFarlane SS buildup & execution. Bravo CGC Team & Todd and everyone posting. This was a BIG first for me, and I did learn a lot of do’s & dont’s for the next time. First time submitting, shipping, signature series, CCS pressing, etc.

I can firmly state that I am not really interested in the monetary value of the final slabs I submitted. But we all know that’s not entirely true. Even though I am a collector and covet my prized possessions, there’s no fooling that most of these comics were acquired for long term collectibility and growth in value.

So here’s my question….Was the price of the SS & grading/pressing worth it? For me, no…..but for very different reasons. Let me start by saying that I’m older and have no reservations spending top dollar to get a TM signature and CGC grading without even having to put on pants. Great product & service. Take my money. This time around, I actually really regret not going to a comic con, waiting in line, meeting the artist and watching them sign MY comic. The SS process lost its romance for me, and I don't know how I’ll look at that slab every day in my display and feel the same about other stuff on the wall. All my other autographs were signed in person & I interacted with greats like Stan Lee, Jim Lee & the usual suspects from the early 90’s. I know full well that those signatures aren’t valid to anyone else, but they sure are to me. I was there!

There will be a sense of accomplishment and sadness when I get my ASM #300 Newsstand back from CCS. It was never gonna be anywhere near a 9.8, and I’m prepared for the final grade….gulp…. What’s cool is that I purchased these comics 30+ years ago, waiting for my chance to get them autographed. Its amazing that the 11 year old me knew to preserve these pieces of history through years of life changes, puberty, substances, new addresses, hurricanes, floods, marriage, kids, etc. Especially when EVERYONE around you tells you to unload your collection.

Can anyone else relate to this?

Spawn #1 came in at 9.0 BTW. Ouch, lol.

My regret is that I waited too close to the deadline to submit and put my NM ASM 300 Newsstand at the mercy of CCS and not my usual presser who I know would have taken his time with it. 

I don’t care about immediate resale value but I do care about the value.  And if it’s not at least a 9.2 which I think is worst case, then I’ll have made a bad decision bc there’s no re-dos once that book is signed.

Got my Todd back today. I have to say I’m very disappointed. I cracked a 8.5 with graders notes noting fingerprints back and front cover, cb spine stress lines and light crease top back cover. I sent it to a private presser who usually gets me a bump but as you see it came back exactly same except with all new notes of blunted bottom corner & light creasing to cover. I feel like there’s no grading consistency anymore.

As you can see, I met Todd years ago and got a raw sig so I just got this one bc I like collecting keys in yellow label. I’m pretty disheartened by this lousy grade tho so I’ll probably end up selling the slab and hopefully find a better one once they flood the market. Gonna rethink submitting anything other than celeb books (where I don’t care much about grade) going forward if the grading on comics is gonna be this wonky.

F20B95A8-AB36-4C2D-9D6C-37748F55A174.jpeg

• Administrator
On 12/16/2022 at 1:15 PM, Ed Hanes said:

So my ME slab (for misprinted Mcfarlane banner) was delivered/accepted to CGC on Dec 5th but still no official submission. Is there a reason (other than they just haven't opened it yet) why this is taking so long to be opened and submitted? I placed the ME initials all over the box

original submission number 4127057

@CGC Mike

If it is not entered into the system by Wednesday, send me a PM and I will check with the receiving manager to see if they can find your package.  I expect they are just overwhelmed with packages, and the people entering submissions into the system are running behind.

On 12/16/2022 at 2:05 AM, ExNihilo said:

Still irritated that these private signing books get bumped ahead of all other books in the modern queue.

Trust me they don't. Its honestly only been for this Todd McFarlane "signing of the century" apparently. 

On 12/12/2022 at 10:45 PM, MGsimba77 said:

It could be too many people thinking their modern Spawn is a 9.8 then find out it's not after getting it signed at cgc. It becomes a choice between keeping a low value book or eating a loss to at least recover some of the money you got suckered into spending. Haven't seen too many of his signed ASMs lower than 9.

8 fail to cover the fee. Haven't seen it yet with the 1990 series or early Spawn stuff either, at least according to GPA. I do suspect if there's going to be negative impact from market flooding it may show up in ASM 300 below 9.8 and Spider-man 1 silver and gold editions for all grades. 

According to cgcdata Spider-Man 1 Silver up 94 and Gold up 78 just in a week's time. Now imagine the number of weeks they will be pumping these out and you have a a flooded market just like you said for these two books. I'll be scooping them up for pennies on the dollar when the flippers get desperate.

On 12/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, Gator Guru said:

According to cgcdata Spider-Man 1 Silver up 94 and Gold up 78 just in a week's time. Now imagine the number of weeks they will be pumping these out and you have a a flooded market just like you said for these two books. I'll be scooping them up for pennies on the dollar when the flippers get desperate.

Yeah I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the '90 series #1s reach a certain saturation point to overwhelm demand in all grades. There are lower print run editions like the gold upc Walmart and the platinum....then maybe the polybag editions (to the extent they can even be signed). I don't think those are at great risk. Besides that, I could see a few ASMs in certain grades end up in the same category. My intuition is that signed yellow label Spawn 1, spider-man 1 (silver, regular) ASM 300 are most at risk. I'm just sceptical of extrapolating that risk into everything Mcfarlane related with a signature on it.

On 12/14/2022 at 2:07 PM, Comixroc said:

Outstanding.  I’ll take this over a signed #299 any day!  

Kind of kicking myself now for not doing the same thing with a page from ASM 300. The page where spider-man sees venom in the church for the first time. I probably would have had him sign on the empty strip of the page at the top. Best of luck with yours! Curious to see what they look like. 

Thank you to all the CGC workers that put all the time and hard work that makes something like this possible 👏 You guys are the unsung heroes of all this I'm sure you are working long hours just to make us happy I couldn't imagine having to process that many collections with the care we want our comics to receive ... im the one that's not worried about the time it takes more the professionalism you put into it... have a Xmen Xmas !!

Edited by Kendawg11

I really appreciate all the work and hustle CGC is putting into this, however it can be extremely frustrating when Books are damaged in the process and especially so when that damage occurs during a signing event where I’m sure that others besides me were sending in some of our favorite comics that were meticulously selected to be the highest grade possible. 

I understand that this is the risk we take, but I can’t help but think that some of this unnecessary roughness could be avoided by slowing down a little bit and making sure the graders aren’t overworked. 

I sent in a raw book (Batman 423) that was easily a 9.2 or worst case a 9.0 with ZERO spine stress lines 3 x backboards in the window bag for extra support and got back an 8.5 with 4 of them. This is my first experience submitting comics for grading and even though I still allegedly have $150 credit on my account that wasn’t applied towards this event, I may not even use it. I’m extremely hesitant to send any more of my books in if THIS is the result. Here’s the before and after. 

C4DE844D-6E27-4325-A618-94BD134C8F5A.jpeg

Why would I pay for something it didn’t need before? Suppose I had paid a professional 3rd party presser to do it before I submitted for grading. People do that all the time do they not? 

If it still looked the same inside the slab as when I sent it off and still got the 8.5, I wouldn’t be nearly as aggravated about an 8.5. It’s the knowing that the book was good for at least a 9.0 if people had taken care of it like it’s their job to do so

I paid $200 for that comic because it had zero spine tics. I submitted that book because it had zero spine tics. It shipped all the way from Canada with zero spine tics. I kept it bagged and boarded with an extra thick, clear acrylic back board inside a top-loader for over a year then removed it, packaged and shipped it with zero spine tics to the one place in the world I figured I could count on people to handle it with the same care that I did. 

/rant 

Edited by Plvnet
Venting

On 12/17/2022 at 9:28 AM, Plvnet said:

This is my first experience submitting comics for grading and even though I still allegedly have $150 credit on my account that wasn’t applied towards this event, I may not even use it. I’m extremely hesitant to send any more of my books in if THIS is the result. Here’s the before and after. 

Since In house signing includes the Artist fee, the credit can not be applied. I can;t find it on the website. I can see how this is confusing.

On 12/17/2022 at 12:28 PM, Plvnet said:

I really appreciate all the work and hustle CGC is putting into this, however it can be extremely frustrating when Books are damaged in the process and especially so when that damage occurs during a signing event where I’m sure that others besides me were sending in some of our favorite comics that were meticulously selected to be the highest grade possible. 

I understand that this is the risk we take, but I can’t help but think that some of this unnecessary roughness could be avoided by slowing down a little bit and making sure the graders aren’t overworked. 

I sent in a raw book (Batman 423) that was easily a 9.2 or worst case a 9.0 with ZERO spine stress lines 3 x backboards in the window bag for extra support and got back an 8.5 with 4 of them. This is my first experience submitting comics for grading and even though I still allegedly have $150 credit on my account that wasn’t applied towards this event, I may not even use it. I’m extremely hesitant to send any more of my books in if THIS is the result. Here’s the before and after. 

C4DE844D-6E27-4325-A618-94BD134C8F5A.jpeg

I understand your disappointment.  I’ve been through it myself.  Check the link to the thread detailing my crash and burn.  I’ve been there.  That said, don’t let that stop you from sending in books.  I’ve sent a ton of books to be signed and they’ve mostly retained or received a higher grade.  I might have 3 crash and burn examples.  However, I’ve had far more success stories.  Bottom line, it’s a gamble.  You’ve got to be willing to take the loss in an effort to reach the highest example of success.  That gamble is what makes Signature series books so coveted.

On 12/16/2022 at 5:48 PM, CGC Mike said:

If it is not entered into the system by Wednesday, send me a PM and I will check with the receiving manager to see if they can find your package.  I expect they are just overwhelmed with packages, and the people entering submissions into the system are running behind.

Ok thanks!

On 12/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, Comixroc said:

I understand your disappointment.  I’ve been through it myself.  Check the link to the thread detailing my crash and burn.  I’ve been there.  That said, don’t let that stop you from sending in books.  I’ve sent a ton of books to be signed and they’ve mostly retained or received a higher grade.  I might have 3 crash and burn examples.  However, I’ve had far more success stories.  Bottom line, it’s a gamble.  You’ve got to be willing to take the loss in an effort to reach the highest example of success.  That gamble is what makes Signature series books so coveted.

I’ve got a bunch of NM books that I’d love to send in, but can I count on this not to happen in regular submission? Is this the cost of a 20 day turnaround time? 

If I'm sending a raw to an in house  signing I know is super high demand, I'm mentally preparing for the possibility it gets nicked up in the process. There's just too much opportunity for something to happen. Granted It still shouldn't ever suffer damage, but the reality of the situation makes it tough to avoid 100% of the time. Some people decide on pressing to rectify any potential problems that occur during the signing/handling process.