• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Tier Grading is a joke...CGC just lost all of my future business.
3 3

172 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2022 at 11:07 AM, kimik said:

Gift grades are to be appreciated and quickly flipped!

Man, what is the recourse on buying that POS? Seller probably has a "no returns on graded books" clause. Would you take this up with CGC? I'd be furious if I unpacked a box and this turd was in it.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, Artboy99 said:

Here is a 9.8 i had. Definitely is some luck of the draw :(

20210517_082014.jpg

20210517_082006.jpg

20210517_082000.jpg

20210517_081955.jpg

20210506_184743.jpg

This is going back a few years for me, but I don't think CGC downgraded for ink cracking on the spine due to the bindery process, since that's a given with the heavy paper stock. May be different now, but I recall having a few 9.8s with this issue back in the day and I believe I asked the question about it here (on the old boards).

On 9/8/2022 at 8:33 AM, NumminzAK said:

used a high profile professional pressing company that is certified by CGC.

I was not aware that CGC "certified" companies.  However, if they do, I'm confident they would not object to you naming that company publicly, here in this thread.  Perhaps @CGC Mike would, in the event that you won't.  Many thanks!  :foryou:

On 9/8/2022 at 2:37 PM, JWKyle said:

look at all those undergraded 9.9 and 10's :sorry:

It is the amount of 9.8s. I just had a shipment graded where I got 20/25 9.8s and I was not all too pleased with that results since I triple and quadruple checked each book before sending them in. I have to see the books again to confirm, but it looks to me like I got one of the really tough graders even though the overall percentage of hits does not look too bad from the outside. 

I submitted two books. Same issue, basically the same grade with exception of one book having a small spine break. That was it. 

Book 1 was 9.8 as expected.

Book 2 was 9.0 with notes stating bends to the bottom corner of the book. Was expecting 9.4/9.6. 

I will post scans when they arrive. 

On 9/8/2022 at 11:15 AM, Artboy99 said:

CGC has also had a long history of  loose grading then changing to tight grading. Consistency is currently not thei strong point.

Yeah, I just wish they could be more consistent..I based my recent prescreen 9.8 Modern submissions (7/65) on my first two submissions (35/50) and so I felt comfortable going all in...I wonder if there is a hook and bait thing going on (that's just the cynical side of me, probably just a luck of the draw coincidence). i have 75 more in the que...we will see

Edited by Ed Hanes