• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever happened to... (Boardies from yesteryear)
7 7

154 posts in this topic

I’ve been saying it for years. 

I don’t know how many people, born 2010 and on, read or collect comic books. 

Of those that do, are they really going to care about my comic collection?

As a reference, I grew up in the Bronze & Copper Age, and I have no interest in Silver or Golden Age books. 

And I was an avid reader and collector… not someone that occasionally read a comic or two because of movie influences or because my dad brought me to a store, which feels more in line with Generation Z, or Generation Alphas

Hard to say for sure, but I am just going with what I know. 2030 will be telling. 

On 9/24/2022 at 6:27 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Always enjoyed Chespirito’s inventive stories in some of his posts.

Marvelfangirl contributed a lot here for a while and then disappeared.

I loved Chespirito's stories. Please come back Chespirito.

Edit: I see that Chespirito last posted in 2021. Chespirito - Please share another story with us

@Chespirito

Edited by Superman2006

On 10/20/2022 at 10:53 AM, shadroch said:

In fairness, when I was 16-21, the last thing I wanterd to do is hang out with guys older than my father and talk about anything.

When I was 16-21, if you didn’t skate....I didn’t hang out with you.

In retrospect, that’s still true today :insane:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 10/29/2022 at 11:45 PM, PopKulture said:

This is why I still delight in oddball stuff from before my time like Pogo, Little Iodine, Howdy Doody, Sad Sack… Add to that works by Carl Barks, Walt Kelly, Windsor McKay and so on. :x

It's not just comics.  My favorite band of all time (the Beatles) broke up before I was born, and there's plenty of other music from the 50s and 60s, or even older, that I love.  The same for movies and TV.  I was also obsessed with old-time baseball when I was a kid and I continue to consider myself a "fan" of a number of athletes from well before my time.

On 10/19/2022 at 4:31 PM, D2 said:

I’ve been saying it for years. 

I don’t know how many people, born 2010 and on, read or collect comic books. 

Of those that do, are they really going to care about my comic collection?

As a reference, I grew up in the Bronze & Copper Age, and I have no interest in Silver or Golden Age books. 

And I was an avid reader and collector… not someone that occasionally read a comic or two because of movie influences or because my dad brought me to a store, which feels more in line with Generation Z, or Generation Alphas

Hard to say for sure, but I am just going with what I know. 2030 will be telling. 

All valid points. I actually think tangible things will make a comeback. I think NFTs and all that are the last gasp of a collectible genre that will monetarily abuse it's supporters so badly, that people will just be turned off on "digital collectibles". I may be wrong, but I don't feel like I am.

We'll always have digital stuff, but I think it will take on more of a utilitarian role as it always should have. When that runs it's course in the next few years, I think the younger generation will get turned onto the nostalgia of holding a comic book in their hand - even if they never had before. There's something about flipping through a box of comics that cannot be replicated digitally - young people will discover that and keep everything going.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:14 AM, Dr. Balls said:

All valid points. I actually think tangible things will make a comeback. I think NFTs and all that are the last gasp of a collectible genre that will monetarily abuse it's supporters so badly, that people will just be turned off on "digital collectibles". I may be wrong, but I don't feel like I am.

We'll always have digital stuff, but I think it will take on more of a utilitarian role as it always should have. When that runs it's course in the next few years, I think the younger generation will get turned onto the nostalgia of holding a comic book in their hand - even if they never had before. There's something about flipping through a box of comics that cannot be replicated digitally - young people will discover that and keep everything going.

That is actually a really really good point. 

I don’t think anything tangible will ever go out of style. That’s true. Even video games don’t have this permanent allure. 

Now the only question would be, what would be the last collectible? What would be the collecting criteria for someone that, didn’t grow up with the books, but has a love and desire for the tangible item, and have and collect?

Do they gravitate towards covers? Acclaimed stories? Or maybe just old books on the cheap?

New collectors are born every day,it goes way back to the gathering days of early humans. I have been collecting for almost 50 years,coins,comics,sports cards,and I go metal detecting 4 days a week now that I'm retired.I guess it's in my DNA,and I know I'm not the only one....but there is something to be said about having a physical item in your hands,the history of it is right there in front of you.The things I have I cherish,and when it comes time to let them go,I only hope that someone else can enjoy them as much as I did.And I'm sure they will.....(thumbsu

Edited by squidmo2000